Search

SF - One Day Trips

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF - One Day Trips

Now that I've finally figured out where to stay (in North Beach, in either of 2 inns), hubby would like to rent a car and take a 1-day trip somewhere. Is the Pacific Coast Hwy. nearby? How about Rt. 101? Or Rt. 1? Can you tell I have no clue where these routes/highways are? ;-)

We're not much into wine, so I don't think we'd be too interested in going to Napa. However, we would wouldn't mind going that way, if I can get my bearings straight (hubby has no problem and will be the one driving, fortunately).

So...what are some good one day trips outside San Francisco?
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 07:24 AM

A thousand and one locals will all have their favourites but as a Brit who loved California (yes, take me back!) may I suggest the obvious trip down the coast past Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz to Monterey & Carmel. Which you will like more will depend on your likes and dislikes. If you have time take in the Aquarium on Cannery Row in Monterey or just wander the tony shops in Carmel or the pier at Monterey and listen to the sealions.

Tahoe and Yosemite are too far for a day trip at this time of year. Save them for a longer trip.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

From looking at another post just below mine, I now realize how popular the coastal trips are! Would I take Rt. 1 down the coast or...?

Monterey sounds really nice - may just walk the pier, as you suggested.

Hadn't even thought of Tahoe or Yosemite - I agree that it's too far out of the way (and we don't want to go too far from S.F., except for that 1 day drive).

Thanks!
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 07:33 AM

Hi Jersy Girl. I guess those laid back folk in California are having a lie-in and I haven't got my map in front of me but I think you can head straight down the coast from San Fransisco or go down the freeway and then cut across over a mountain to Half Moon Bay or go further down the freeway and hit the coast just above the town of Monterey. That way will give you more time. You should also consider the 17 mile drive around the penninsula with great views of the ocean, Pebble Beach Golf Course and some amazing properties.
Adam
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 08:13 AM

Yup, Adam is correct. You can take Hwy 1 most of the way to Monterey/Carmel. I usually take 101 on the way back however; it is quicker. You get the views on the way down and the speed on the way back.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 09:02 AM

Hi JerseyGirl,
I am curious where you have decided to stay in North Beach as I am also looking for accommodations in that area for March.

Thanks, and have a fantastic trip.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 09:11 AM

I think the best trip is north to Muir Woods and to Reyes Point with a stop in Sausalito.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 10:15 AM
Kal

Yeah..what kika said!

But going north over GG bridge then over to Hwy 1 thru Stinson Beach up to Tomales, Bodega etc would be nice, too.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

So many ideas...too little time! But I thank you for all the suggestions (as well as what routes to take going and coming back). Monterey sounds like it might be up our alley, but the Muir Woods/Reyes Pt. also sounds cool and very doable.

Hubby and I generally like to do our own tours (when we went to England and Scotland 7 years ago, I planned the entire itinerary; we had an absolute blast, meeting a lot of nice, fun people), and I think renting the car for that day is the way to go.

Just curious, though - I saw somewhere on the Internet about a guided tour to Muir Woods (not sure what else it included). Has anyone taken that? Too quick? Too leisurely? Just want a back up plan in case hubby decides he doesn't want to drive (which I can't imagine happening, but then when we went to England, I had scheduled - not booked - a ride down the Thames; we were so beat that last day in London we just decided to do the touristy thing and took a bus tour, which turned out nicely).

Thanks everyone! Happy holidays!
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

atilla,

We're staying at a place called the Washington Square Inn (http://www.wsisf.com). I did a reservation request right on their site (as Expedia et al. were saying they had no rooms for the days I was looking for!). I received a reply at my email addy a little while ago, and they said the one room I requested may still be under renovation but that a similar room (with queen bed and private bath) was available. So I called up and just a few minutes ago, got it reserved (an email confirmation followed a few minutes later).

Very impressive that they got back to me so quickly. Spoke to a very nice woman on the phone, and I gave her all the credit card info (they require the price of the 1st night's stay to hold the room). It's on 1660 Stockton Street, I believe right across from Washington Square. Also not too far from the Coit Tower (can see it from one of the rooms, BTW).

It was a good location for us because there are a couple of pubs/beer bars that we're interested in hitting (we're beer geeks , plus it's supposed to be a bit quieter than the Hotel Boheme (which is on the 2nd & 3rd floors of a building; a bakery and other shops are on the 1st floor). The Hotel Boheme looks good, too, but I've heard and read the rooms are tiny. Nicely done up, but tiny.

The room we'll be in at the Washington Sq. is 200 sq. ft., if that's any help.

In fact, hope all this info helps - have a nice holiday!
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 12:52 PM

Thanks so much JerseyGirl! Yes that does help. Hope you have a wonderful time in San Fran, I can't wait to go!

Happy Holidays to all beer geeks!
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 06:40 AM

Hi Jersey Girl - have a Seirra Nevada IPA for me. As a real ale lover I loved California micro-brews. Next time you come to England, look us up and we will find you some splendid pubs with wonderful beer.
Have a great holiday,

Adam C
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Adam,

Will do on the Sierra Nevada!

BTW, hubby and I went to England 7 years ago (can't believe it's been that long!). Anyway, I dubbed it the Drinking Tour, because, well, it pretty much centered around beer (imagine that ;-)).

We hadn't been on any sort of longish vacation in a very long time because of our dog then - wasn't sure we could afford any kennel to put her in - but we decided to splurge because I was losing my job, getting a decent payout, and we figured, what the heck, we may never be able to do this again.

So we did a 2 week trip, stayed in the Bloomsbury section of London for 3 days (right around the block from the British Museum). The 1st pub was the Museum Tavern, and after the plane ride, we were in need of a restorative - had an Old Peculier on tap! Wonderful! Hopped a train to Oxford on the 2nd day - ate and drank at the Eagle and Child Pub - we're into The Lord of the Rings and that's where Tolkien, C. S. Lewis and others had their pints. Went to a couple of other pubs there, including the Three Goats Heads.

Up to York, and then to a bunch of pubs, including The Hole in the Wall (within the walls), and our personal fave, Trafalgar Bay. Also stopped at the York Brewery and the highlight of the trip - Samuel Smith! Yum!!

Forgot - we went to the Great British Beer Festival in London which was a great blast - had some Budweiser Budvar, the 1st time we had any!

In Scotland, we hit Roses Street, and their multitude of pubs every few feet (they weren't kidding). A bit hazy, but remember hoisting at Dirty Dick's, The Kenilworth, and some others that I can't remember.

Then back to London on the last day, where we drank at The Falkland Arms (we also had a few at The Plough the first few nights there).

All in all - we had a BLAST!!

Hope everyone had a happy holiday!