Search

SF- Napa - Carmel trip question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF- Napa - Carmel trip question

Hi all,

Thanks for all previous responses to earlier questions. Originally we were planning a trip to these parts in October (10 days incorporating Columbus Day). I was starting to wonder what it would be like (weather-wise/temperatures/enjoyability) if we postponed the trip until November (early - say 1st through the 10th). Is this still a good time to go, or is it starting to get a little too cold? I have heard that October is the best month for Carmel. Wasn't sure about November.....

Some upcoming business travel may throw a wrench into our original plans, but I may try to stick with October if I can.

Thanks
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 01:09 PM

Early October is the best time to be here. Actually, about Sept 15 to Oct 15 is perfect. The chance of rain increases in November. I can remember one November when it was overcast & drizzled/rained almost every day in Nov - but I think that was only 1 time in the 33 years we've been here. I can remember some Haloweens when it's been very nice, and some when not. When does daylight savings end??

Try real hard for the first of Oct.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM

FWIW: On the left coast, Oct 12 is "Indigenous People's Day" rather than "Columbus" Day. Humor people.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 05:57 PM
SAB

Actually it is only Indigenous Peoples Day in Berkeley as far as I know, everywhere else it's Columbus Day.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

It looks like I will stick with October. Thanks.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 06:57 AM

October is our best month here, in Carmel. November is nice, very nice but it will be cooler and probably a little wetter but it's not biggie. This sure is a long-planned trip. Where did you decide to stay?
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Well, TTess, thanks for checking back in. You are right, it has been a long planned trip. I basically was so immersed in the research, that I just decided to put it aside for a while and take a rest. And I was also waiting to see where business travel might take me in the near future.

I have vacillated a lot with the Carmel accommodations. The nice part is that there are plenty of places to choose from. The downside is, the longer I waited, the less availability. Ultimately, I still have not booked anything, but I think we are going to stay at the Tally Ho and the funky decor. It pretty much has what we are looking for.....without excessive noise levels and squishy beds. Hopefully it's the right choice....but I have a feeling there isn't really a wrong choice.

Thanks so much for everyone's help.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:39 AM

Actually, I think that just about everybody except government workers completely ignore the day.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 01:44 PM

Well, not me, november moon,
it's our anniversary !

R5
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM

Considering your needs, Lizzie, I think the TH is the way to go. You know what to expect decor-wise but the location is terrific. It's not the Ritz but it's certainly not Motel 6. Taking everything into consideration, it's a wise choice.

R5 - how many years, Baby? My birthday is in November but I'm no longer counting.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM

TTess -
12 legal~

15 all in. It's M2 for both of us.

The Older, sometimes Wiser, R5

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

TTess - I finally booked the Tally Ho this weekend and we were able to get what we wanted....private balcony with oceanview. We ultimately decided that to enjoy Carmel, we really needed to be in the village. We can stay at a resort or big, fancy hotel any time. Pacific Grove stayed in the forefront for a while, but we just plan to embrace what we find here....and we've got the best of both worlds.....village accommodations with a view we desired.

Thanks for all the help.....and for checking out the property way back.

BTW - anniversary in September, hubby's b-day in November. We'll split the difference and celebrate both on this trip.