Reload this Page >

SF Four Hour Layover

Search

SF Four Hour Layover

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 1999, 09:00 AM
Jane

SF Four Hour Layover

My family will have a four hour layover in San Francisco on our way to Hawaii. Do you think this is enough time to get into the city and do some sightseeing? Do you have any suggestions about how to accomplish this, eg. touring agencies at the airport, taxi services, etc. Thanks.

Old May 12th, 1999, 09:54 AM
Tomi

A few years ago I had a 5-hour layover in SF on my way back from Hawaii. My friend and I rented a cheap subcompact car and drove around the city. We drove over the Golden Gate bridge. We drove down that famous street that's real steep and zigzags (can't remember the name of the street, but it's well-known). We ate at a restaurant at Fisherman's Wharf. With 4 hours at your disposal, I'd skip eating out and just drive around. I wouldn't do this plan though if it's during rush hour. We had NO problem getting around and we were really glad we rented the car. It was quick but fun!

Old May 12th, 1999, 10:24 AM
Emily

Whether by rental car or by taxi, it will take you at least half an hour to get into the city from SFO (more, if it's rush hour.) The ideal situation would be if there was a tour company that had quickie tour that went from the airport and back. You could ask about this as soon as you land at the ground transportation information desk.

Old May 22nd, 1999, 03:46 PM
Kam

In rush hour I would never try to see anything in SF in just 4 hours. You might miss your flight to Hawaii and regret it terribly. The poster who rented a car and drove over the GG Bridge and down Lombard Street MUST be mistaken. There's a wonderful dim sum Chinese restaurant in Millbrae (near SFO) called the Hong Kong Flower Garden Lounge. Go there and pig out on dim sum and come back to visit SF another time. The stress of the freeways are not worth it! Have a great Hawaiian holiday.

Old May 23rd, 1999, 10:52 AM
Jane

Our layover will be on a Saturday from 11:00 till 3:00. Would this make a difference on time to get into SF vs. a weekday? Thanks again!!

Old May 23rd, 1999, 12:34 PM
Emily

Unless you can hook up with a tour agency at the airport that can give you a quickie tour, I wouldn't bother making it into the city. With an hour travel time and getting back to the airport an hour before flight time, you'll be lucky if you have two hours left. Kam is right -- take a taxi to the Hong Kong Flower Lounge (the best Chinese restaurant there is) and have a dim sum lunch.

Old May 25th, 1999, 11:01 AM
Dave

The SF airport is under major renovation. In and out access is poor, although your arriving on a weekend. It'll take you 1/2 hour min. to rent a car (Hertz/Avis), 1 hour for others since they are off the airport. 30-45 minutes to reach outskirts of city. If I were you, do the lunch near the airport and don't wander too far. Come back when you have 3-4 days to really enjoy this great city.