Reload this Page >

SF & Yosemite: late Sep

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 1998, 01:47 AM
donny

will spend five days in san francisco plus one night at Yosemite in late september. firstly, the weather, how cold is it likely to be?
also, has anyone stayed at holiday inn union square or comfort inn oakhurst. if so i'd appreciate some comments re quality of service, facilities, position etc.

Old May 18th, 1998, 09:40 AM
Carol Wright

we stayed at Holiday Inn Union Square in SF and it was beautiful and right on the cable car line.

We stayed 4 days in SF and 2 days at Yosemite.

Yosemite is beautiful - takes one day to drive through the whole thing, then a second day to stop and enjoy different sights.

Have a good time!

Old May 18th, 1998, 09:31 PM
Dayle

SF usually is beautiful in Sept. There is always a cool wind off the bay. Be sure to go to Sausalito across the Golden Gate Bridge. Yosemite is perfect in September. Nights will be pretty cool in the valley and daytime temps will be just right for hiking. Get out and hike to really appreciate the beauty. If you are an experienced hiker in good shape, try going to Cloud's Rest from Lake Tenaya in Toloume Meadows. It's at 11,000 ft. and looks down on Half Dome. An amazing view! If not, be sure to at least drive up to Glacier Point and see the view from there. Almost as good. Have a nice time!

Old May 18th, 1998, 09:35 PM
Dayle

PS: If you are not familiar with high altitudes: be aware of changable weather conditions. Sept is usually very nice, but in the high altitudes, it can do anything at any time. Be prepared, wear your hat and sunscreen and check in with the rangers if you go into the back country, i.e., Cloud's Rest. Don't drink the water and be safe...

Old May 20th, 1998, 07:50 AM
Kathy Raines

We, too, stayed at the Holiday Inn Union Square, and
loved it! Our room was on the 11th floor, and we had a great view of the city. We want to go back. We stayed for 4 nites in Yosemite, and really rushed
to see it all. We even drove the pass to Lake Tahoe. Beautiful scenery. Maybe you can find more
time for Yosemite. Also, the coast line is breath
taking. Kathy

Old May 20th, 1998, 05:07 PM
Ray Seva

I live here in "The City." September & October are the best months of the year for weather...nice, cool weather, lots of sun...NO FOG! Summer can be the worst: lots of fog, cold temps (50's). Hope you have fun here!

Old May 31st, 1998, 04:52 AM
Norbert de Zwart

I will visit your country for 4 weeks and it will be the first time. We will stay in Calefornia proberly the whole month September.I will go with my wife and have a car for transport.We are thinking of sleeping with a tent.We have good equipment for tracking but not yet a lot of expirience(just some.)Can you inform me about staying in parks and things not to do!
Thanks in advance,Norbert de Zwart
The Netherlands