Search

SF and Central Coast Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2011, 08:38 AM
Sid
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF and Central Coast Itinerary

We are planning an 11 night/10 day trip to Northern CA/Central Coast late July and early Aug and wanted to get some opinions on our itinerary. 2 adults, 3 kids (10-18)

Sat: arrive late evening from east coast--stay near SFO
Sun: get car, take leisurely drive down Rt 1, spend night in Cambria (best western Fireside). No formal plans but to get to Cambria
Monday: Explore area, Hearst Castle, night 2 in Cambria
Tues: work our way towards Monterey. No formal plans but to get there. Spend night in Monterey (marriott--on points)
Wed/Thurs: Monterey (aquarium, whale tour) etc
Friday: drive to SF for 5 nights. Stay at Courtyard Fisherman's Wharf (points). We plan on doing a day trip or two from there. Muir Woods, maybe the Napa area (though with the kids we won't be doing much wine tasting).

The kids love scenery and taking pictures so I'm thinking they will get a lot of fantastic things to see! I'm the only one who has been this area at all.

I am hoping this won't be too stressful of a trip. I'm not wild about 4 hotels in 11 nights but I'm not sure how to avoid it. We had no flexibility with the flight due to us using miles. We are using Marriott points for some of the hotels. Is Fisherman's Wharf a good area to stay with kids? Or is there a better area? Keep in mind we are limited to Marriotts.

Thoughts? Are we going to run ourselves ragged?

Thanks.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 08:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
My husband, daughter and I went to Cambria in February and stayed at the Best Western Fireside. The beach across the street from the hotel has a lovely boardwalk for early morning strolls and when we were there there were a few elephant seals to watch.

If you can fit it in, I highly recommend the guided tour at Piedras Blancas light station. There is one on Tuesday at 10 AM. Lots of information about the elephant seals there as well as other wildlife and plant life. http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/baker...bls/tours.html

Even if you can't make it to the tour, you should pull over at the lookout points between the lighthouse and San Simeon to watch the elephant seals.

We ate at a couple of very good restaurants in Cambria, the Sow's Ear and Sea Chest Oyster Bar.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 10:31 AM
Sid
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

In reading other posts I'm really doubting my decision to stay in Fisherman's Wharf. I can move us to Union Square. WHich area would be better for a family?
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 10:54 AM
SAB

As a SF resident and someone who works near the Wharf, I'm not a big fan of the Wharf (it has nothing that appeals to most residents, other Gary Danko); however, it is geared for tourists and it very family friendly and kids do seem to like it alot. If the 18 yo is a girl she would probably prefer Union Square because of all shopping, but the younger kids will like the Wharf, probably more than Union Square.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 11:02 AM

The only thing particularly appealing about the Wharf is that walking from the Wharf to Pier 39, along the Embarcadero, to the Ferry Building, even all the way to AT&T Park is really really nice (I work in an office building that overlooks the Ferry Building). That said, my cousins came with their three daughters (admittedly younger than yours) and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Fisherman's Wharf and thought it was a great location for visitors.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 11:07 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree about FW for this trip. I prefer Union Square but your kids will enjoy being at FW.

We stayed at the same hotel in Cambria and enjoyed it. Liked the olallieberry pie at Linn's in Cambria. If you have time for a winery or two, visit ones near Paso Robles. My favorite was Peachy Canyon -
http://www.peachycanyon.com/about/
and the countryside is just beautiful around there. With three kids on this trip I'd just stop at a central coast winery or two and not add on the Napa trip.

DEFINITELY go to Muir Woods. The kids should see it.

One of my favorite experiences was a night ride on the cable cars. We did a big loop starting at Union Square on the cable car, switching at FW onto the streetcar. You could do the same combo with just a different starting point. Riding the hills at night through the city was like a majic carpet ride

Are you planing to go to Alcatraz? The kids will like it but be sure to take a sweater/jacket along - it can get cold and breezy.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 02:23 PM

While in Monterey consider doing the 17-mile drive over to Carmel. If the weather is clear the views are amazing and you can sometimes see seals. Also, Carmel is a great town to explore.

While in SF, you might want to consider Golden Gate Park and the Haight Ashbury area - fun shopping and true SF characters. And the Academy of Sciences in the park is lots of fun - rain forest, planetarium, etc. - depending, of course, on what the kids are into. http://www.calacademy.org/
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 06:06 PM

The kids will probably like the wharf area of SF. You can walk to Hyde Street Pier and see the historic boats and ferries. Lots of waterfront walking in this area.

We stayed in Cambria at the BW Fireside last winter and were quite comfortable there. You do have to drive into town to get dinner, though - not far. We also were surprised by the quality of food at Linn's; reasonable prices also.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 04:48 PM

We took a fabulous walk today (it was gorgeous out, and loads of other people had the same idea). We parked at Fort Mason and walked nearly to the GG Bridge (turned around at the Warming Hut). Lots of walkers, bikers (you can rent bikes), kite flyers, kids playing soccer, people sunbathing and picknicking and wind surfing. Loads of sailboats on the bay. Took about 2 hours - it was wonderful.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 06:25 PM

On your drive from Monterey to SF, I would stop in Santa Cruz and take the family to the beach and the Boardwalk.

And don't miss Point Lobos just south of Carmel.

I am not a fan of 17 Mile Drive, but if you are interested in golf, it is definitely a must-see.