Search

SF and AZ Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF and AZ Trip Report

Hi,

I was in San Francisco and Arizona during the last 2 weeks of September. I had a reason to be in each place, so I joined them together and squeezed in some vacation in between. Here's a brief report:

San Francisco: Arrived Friday, 9/17, got to hotel around 3pm. Used the BART from the SFO airport - very easy and cheap. I stayed at Club Quarters near the Embacadero the first 2 nights (3* on Priceline for $70). I walked EVERYWHERE. I bought a weekly MUNI pass for the buses, and did use it a bit, but mostly I walked. I never got on a cable car, too crowded...

Anyway, that afternoon I walked up to Fisherman's Wharf, watched the sea lions, just passed through most of the rest of it, then walked all around through the hills - up to Coit Tower, down the Greenwich steps and up the Filbert steps (wow - to live there!), over to Lombard St, through Ghiradelli Square (they give away samples - yum!). By the time I did that, it was 7:30pm, and I was starving and on east coast time. So, I walked down to North Beach and ate outside at a cute Italian cafe on Columbus St. Great food, but I don't remember the name. Then I crashed. Estimated walking distance: 4 miles plus lots of hills.

Saturday I have reservations for the first boat to Alcatraz, so of course it was cloudy, windy, and quite chilly. I walked up to Fisherman's Wharf, stopping at the wonderful outdoor market at the Ferry Building for some breakfast. Alcatraz was definitely a highlight of the trip. When I returned around noon, I planned to rent a bike, changed my mind, and just walked instead.

And I walked FAR - my map was not to scale, so I didn't realize how far the Golden Gate Bridge was. So, quite a while later, past the marina, I get to the bridge. I decided to walk OVER the bridge. 1.8 miles over, 1.8 miles back...my legs are pretty sore by now after the hills of yesterday and the long distance I had already gone, so when I get back over I catch a bus. I went to Chinatown and there was the Festival of the Moon - street sales, performers etc. It was really interesting. Then I went back to North Beach for dinner at Steps of Rome. The food was very good and reasonable. I would recommend it.

Sunday, I am exhausted, but I want to see more. I bus over to Golden Gate Park, visit the Japanese Tea Garden, which was lovely, and walked around the lake. Then I went through Haight-Ashbury, which was very different - I really liked it. Then back on the bus and I took the bus to see the Pacific Heights area and Presidio Park, then back to the hotel...

The rest of the time, I was there for a conference for work. I stayed at the Palace Hotel, which was beautiful, but pricey. Most everything else I did was related to the conference, although we found some fun bars....

From SF that Friday, I flew to Phoenix...
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

In Phoenix, I met two friends who were traveling from the east, and we headed to Sedona.

We spent 2 days in Sedona. We stayed at the Sky Ranch Lodge after I read about it here. I highly recommend it. It has beautiful grounds, it overlooks the town, and we had a front row view of the sunset from our porch, which we enjoyed away from the crowds with a bottle of wine.

We ate breakfast both days at the the Airport restaurant, which was good, reasonable, and we could watch the little planes take off and land. We ate dinner one night at Robert's, and had really good ribs.

We did a tour with Pink Jeep Tours - it was another highlight. It was really fun and the scenery was amazing. We drove around the Red Rock Loop and went down to a park there where we hiked along Oak Creek. It was lovely. Until one of my cameras ended up IN the creek, but that's what I get for trying to get the PERFECT photograph. Rocks under flowing water are slippery! I was soggy for hours after that. Luckily, I still had my digital camera...

Then, we drove to the Grand Canyon. What can I say? Amazing. We stayed at Yavapai Lodge, which was basic but fine and it was great being in the park. We got up for sunrise, went to the best place for sunset, and hiked down a ways into the canyon on Kaibab Trail. We were at GC for 2 days.

On the way out we drove east on Desert View. It was stormy that day and we actually got HAILED on. That was pretty funny. I have some awesome storm pictures where it is dark where we are but sunny across the canyon. Very cool.

We stopped at Montezuma's Castle on the way down to Tempe. This is a short stop but well worth it. It is pretty amazing. I then spent 5 days in Tempe (for a racquetball tournament at ASU). In Phoenix, we went to the Omaha Steakhouse and had an incredible dinner. We also went to the Phoenix Zoo, which was interesting but small, and hot (definitely a desert zoo).

Overall, it was great trip, and I want to thank those who have posted on this board - because I planned my trip around what I read here.

Karen
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Karen
Totally enjoyed hearing about your trip. You sure know how to pack the activities in! Good for you! Thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Karen, I too enjoyed your trip report. You covered a lot of terriotry. Good for you.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 02:41 PM

kaudrey,
I am so glad you got the walkers-eye view of S.F. You really saw and experienced a lot in your short visit!
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - yes I did cover a lot of ground. I had never been to either place, and I wanted to pack in as much as I could!

I meant to put in my estimated walking on Saturday and Sunday, too - Saturday 7 or 8 miles, Sunday - 2 or 3 miles (I was tired by then!).

You can never see everything in a few days in a place, but I like active vacations so I tried to see alot. I, like everyone else, it seems, fell in love with SF and would love to go back.

Same can be said about Arizona, although I definitely liked the climate of Sedona better than Phoenix. The only problem with Sedona is there is no nightlife to speak of. Our Jeep Tour Guide recommended a bar about a mile past the airport on 89A, and it was definitely interesting, but not the kind of place I hang out at at home (in DC). I actually felt young there, and I'm 35!

Karen

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Hi Karen, thanks for another great trip report. Did you participate in the racquetball tournament?

- Sharon
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sharon,

Yes, I played in it. It was the National Doubles championships. I won a few matches and played well, but I would have liked to have done better. Oh well, there's always next year!

Besides, I mostly went because it gave me an excuse to visit other parts of AZ!

I can't wait to hear about your South American adventures when you return. I think my next trip will be to Quebec at the end of January - I'm going to take my aunt for winter carnival.

Karen