Seward and Anchorage

Search

Seward and Anchorage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seward and Anchorage

I'm going on a Cruise at the end of May and will be staying for 4 days in that area.
I've read that the Prince William Bay cruise is a most.
Is there anything you would recommend to do? We are renting a car to have more freedom.
We had though about going to Denali for a day.
I'll appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM

Denali is not a day trip - it is a long drive from Seward to Denali (we did it in one day, but others have suggested taking longer than that). It would be a day to, a day from, and then at least one day at Denali - that takes up your entire 4 days.

So you have to decide between Denali and Seward. Since we had 8 days, we were able to do both - and each has its pros and cons. First, Denali. This area feels like Alaska. And if you are going on a cruise, you will already be seeing some of coastal Alaska. At Denali you may see land mammals, be able to do a little hiking if that is your thing. The drive up has boring stretches and magnificent ones, especially if you can see Denali from the road. A stop at Talkeetna is worth the time. On the negative side, it is a long drive up - and when you get there you must really take a shuttle or tour into the Park - you can only drive about 15 miles in on your own. Park transportation is via old school busses and the road is about 2 centimeters wider than the bus - and sometimes there are incredible cliffs/switchbacks, etc - not for someone fearful of heights. We were there summer 2008 early June and the road into the Park had just reopened for the season the week before - so that would be a consideration.

Seward (and Kenai Peninsula) - beautiful seaside area. You can get to a glacier, take a day-long wildlife and glacier small boat tour (kenaifjords.com was companyh we used - I would recommend it). Better food and lodging than Denali area.

Tough decision - I just asked my husband which he would pick - he said Denali, I pick Seward - so that is not helpful.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.
I forgot to mention that we'll be there for 6 days.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:31 AM

For clairfication on the above, you WILL definately see wildlife in Denali park, and one of the best bargain options in Alaska. 2 nights is always my recommendation there, it definately is NOT a day trip. You need to allow 2 days for transit and a full day for entering the park. My min. recommendation in is the shuttle bus to Eielson.

With 6 days you definately have time for both Seward and Denali Park with an overnight in Anchorage in between?

Where are you cruising out of, far better if going out of Seward?? But doable with Whittier, with planning. And yes, the Prince William boat tours are just excellent and very different comparing to the Kenai Fjords boat tours. Far superior to anything seen from your cruiseship. Take advantage of being there.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM

In Seward, we liked the Kenai fjords trip and the SeaLife Center, especially the behind the scenes tour. The Exit Glacier was also fun.
In Anchorage, we liked the Art and history museum, Earthquake Park, the native Heritage Center.
We took the train to Denali from Anchorage one morning, spent a day and a half there, and left the next morning.