Sequoia - Kings Canyon in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a cool (temp) destination for a few days in mid-August.
I have only been to Sequoia in April and loved it, but haven't been down into KC because it is not open that early in the year.
Looking at the weather info on NPS site, it says lower elevations can have 90+ temps while higher usually 70s, but 90s possible.

What is your experience in Sequoia and KC in August? Is the Valley as hot as the California central valley or is it cooler?
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM

My few summer trips into the parks have found Kc weather in the 90s. A bit cooler than the San Joaquin Valley, but not a lot. In the upper elevations of Sequioa it was nicer, but usually sunny and warm.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 02:49 PM

A few years ago we were in Sequoia in July - it was quite warm, highs were definitely in the 90s. It was over 100 down in the valley that week.

If you want cooler temps, I'd head to the coast - central or north coast.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I thought that might be the answer.
We are wanting to go someplace "new" (my husband hasn't been to S&KC at all) and we have been to Tahoe and surrounds, Yosemite, the central coast and up as far as Eureka redwoods area.

I was looking at the Aspen, CO since we haven't been there in Colorado.

I also looked at Oregon-Crater Lake area because we have only been to Mt Hood in OR, but that is more difficult/costly for us to access.

Maybe Vancouver Island or the North Cascades. We've loved Ranier in the past and Seattle is a direct flight for us.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 04:38 AM

We were at Crater Lake last summer and it 90 there a few days. Oregon Caves just south is interesting. You might consider going to The Redwoods as the coast is almost always cool. Also, at Yosemite or Sequoia, the higher up you go the cooler. It is cooler in Tuolomne Meadows than say the valley. Sequoia is really shaded as well. I think the trees in Sequoia are far more impressive. You could even do the hike to the tent camps in Sequoia or Yosemite. That is basically luxory camping. If you did Crater Lake, you could do Oregon Caves and the Redwoods as they aren't far. We are going to Lassen Volcano in a couple of weeks and it should be cooler weather there. This isn't far from the Redwoods either.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM

The air quality, sadly, in the park in August can be worse that the worst days in LA because of the wind currents and atmospheric conditions. It was hot and not pleasant. Our lungs had a burning sensation like a sunburn.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 12:24 PM

I was referring to Sequoia and Kings Canyon Parks.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Yes - good point Travlin. The ozone levels were pretty high when we were there too (July).
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks--I would never have thought of bad air quality.

It looks like we are choosing between Vancouver Island via Seattle or the Beartooth Highway area in Montana and delaying the trip until first of September. It seems several of the places we were thinking of as cool respites for August just aren't that dependable for low temps and good weaterh during that month, so me might as well avoid the last of the summer crowds. It is usually still warm here in the SE in early Sept so I am sure we will still enjoy the change.

I threw in Montana because for some reason the airfare to Billings is as low as Seattle, which is unusual for us. We've been to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons once in June, but didn't make it out to the NE along the Beartooth and I read that it is gorgeous, with a chance of snow in September.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:33 AM

How about San Francisco for a few days, then head north along the Sonoma and Mendocino coasts? Rent a home at Sea Ranch for a few days or head further north to Mendocino or even futher north to Redwoods National Park? There will still be fog along the coast, but August brings clearing and warmer temps too.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Even Seattle can be warm in mid-summer. We were there mid-August last summer and it was in the high 80s, Still nicer than most places, but not "cool"
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

We decided to stay home in August--everyone seems to be sweltering this summer.
We are heading to Red Lodge, MT and the Beartooth Highway area in early September instead.