Sequim to Seattle

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sequim to Seattle

We'll be going from Sequim to Seattle on a Friday in August.

Group is interested in gardens/walking so plan to make a stop at Blodel Gardens on Bainbridge and then take ferry to Seattle.

Want to have dinner at Saltys Friday night and probably stay near SeaTac for an early Saturday morning flight home.

Will have explored some of Seattle at the start of our trip.

Questions:

What else could we do between Sequim and Seattle via Bainbridge? Any interesting places to walk or even sit and soak up the scenery?

I'd like an idea of timing to avoid major Friday afternoon/evening traffic. Should we ferry to Seattle by 4ish, check in at hotel and go back to Saltys or go directly to Saltys before airport hotel?

Thanks to suggestions from Fodor's folks 2 years ago, we really enjoyed my husband's birthday there, and now plan to return with 10 other friends. Want to be there prior to sunset for great views of the city.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Other things you could do on Bainbridge Island:

Stop in at Bainbridge Island Winery; they are open for tours and tasting from 11 to 5 on Fridays and Saturdays:

http://www.bainbridgegardens.com/

Visit Bainbridge Gardens, a very nice, family-run nursery with a long Bainbridge history:
http://www.bainbridgegardens.com/

They have a small cafe where you can get a cup of tea or a sandwich while you admire the plant collection.

Or stop in the "downtown" area ("used to be Winslow) to walk the waterfront path, ending at the Harbour House pub for a pint or a soup and sandwich lunch. They have a waterfront deck that is very nice for just sitting and enjoying the sights and sounds of the adjacent marina.

I believe you need a reservation to visit Bloedel Reserve; be sure and check on that.

You can also walk the paths at Fort Ward State Park at the south end of the island, or the Gazzam Lake preserve. Both take you to or along the water.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:03 AM

Two great destinations are Port Townsend and, for lunch or brunch, Cafe Nola located a few minutes from the Bainbridge Island ferry.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM

There's a number of very scenic waterfront state parks between Sequim and Seattle you could stop at-look at the WA state parks website:
http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/regncoast.asp
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM

I presume you know about the lavender farms in and around Sequim. You are past they harvest season but I am sure their gift shops will be full of goodies. I have given out many a sachet to my friends and family -- wonderful, inexpensive gifts. Also, the lavender candy mints and lip balm were quite good.

photos: http://www.camsoft.us/personal2/Gard...gton/index.htm
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:46 AM

There is more than one Salty's. I assume that you refer to the one on Elliot Bay, with a view of the city. Nice, but driving from the airport area to West Seattle can be a drag on Friday afternoons/evenings. The one at 28201 Redondo Beach S (253-946-0636) is, IMHO, easier to get to and has a view of the Olympics across Puget Sound. Use Mapquest, Yahoo, or Google maps for directions.