Activities:
Snorkel Crater
Want to find boat trip to see the Molokai Cliffs if there is such a thing
Spa/relax by pool
Snorkel at Big Beach or Wailea Point
Dinner at Nick?s
Dinner at Sarento?s
What else?

A?Apali Cliffhouse in Huelo 5 nights ? getting there by driving around the northwest and over the top of Maui to see Blowhow and Olivine Pools
Activities:
Road to Hana (a little shorter from Huelo than resort areas)
Fly/Drive to Oahu for the day
Watch surfers from North Shore
Dinner at Mama?s Fish House
Haleakala Crater Sunrise-drive (not bike) maybe hike or horseback into crater
What else?

Would like to know if this Cliffhouse in Huelo is a good quite spot for the activities we are doing from there?

Bring on the comments
Jul 14th, 2003, 06:10 PM

The Four Seasons is awesome. I wish I was there right now. As for relaxing by the pool, keep in mind that you'll have to wake up relatively early (by 7am) to reserve your spot. That said, I preferred hanging out on the beach... the pool attendants can set up chairs and shade for you.

I had lunch at Mama's and thought the food was the best I had in Maui. I also liked Roy's which is a short drive away from the hotel in a Kihei strip mall.

If you like shopping, you could set aside a few hours for the Shops at Wailea, which is walking distance from the hotel.

I'd consider spending some time walking around Lahaina. We also had good time at the Old Lahaina Luau, but it seems to get mixed reviews on this board. Some also recommend the Feast of Lele.

Finally, we had some time to kill before our flight, and I'm really glad we spent it going to Iao Valley which is a short drive (about 20 minutes) from the airport.
Jul 15th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

I wanted to add that We live on the gulf coast of Florida, so beaches are not most important to us, but waterfalls, lava rock, mountains - now those are things we don't see here in Tampa.

Jul 16th, 2003, 03:27 AM

Hey Nancy, the beaches in Hawaii may not impress you, but there is a world of difference if you happen to walk to the edge of the beach and stick your head underwater (e.g. snorkeling much better than anything I have seen in Clearwater, Florida). Enjoy your stay in Paradise!
Jul 16th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

How is the snorkeling in Hana area? Should we save it for the Wailea area instead? And yes John D you are right - snorkeling in Clearwater is not something to write home about - hence our trip to Hawaii - I can hardly wait.(but the Florida gulf beaches do have beautiful powder white sandy beaches).
Jul 16th, 2003, 04:28 AM

Hey Nancy,

For great snorkeling might I recommend The Fishbowl, just north of La Perouse Bay (just south of Wailea). The 30 minute hike through the lava field only adds to the experience. The Aquarium just a little further south is very good as well.

Didn't snorkel in Hana myself, but for information on snorkeling there or anywhere else for that matter, might I suggest you pick up Maui Revealed if you haven't already....an absolute must read for anyone going to Maui. And if I remember correctly from another post of yours, I think you're also going to Kauai...if so, pick up Ultimate Kauai as well (same authors and just as good).

Enjoy!!!!
Jul 16th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Hi Nancy, thanks for the continuing discussion of one of my favorite interests-snorkeling.

Our best snorkeling experience has been in the amazingly clear water off the Big Island next to the Captain Cook Monument. We went on the Fair Wind II snorkel tour out of Kona, but others have said that you can also kayak/canoe/powerboat to reach this point. Snorkeling near "Place of Refuge" also had huge fish and turtles, though tricky due to lava.

Have not snorkeled at Hana, but snorkeling was easiest for a beginner at Kapalua Beach, though parking is tight there and fish were relatively small but good variety. We hope to check out Ulua Beach in a few months on our next visit to Maui.

As I recall you will be hiking the Napali coast trail on Kauai, and we have found that snorkeling the adjacent Kee Beach on a calm day can be amazing!
Many other beaches in Northern Kauai also outstanding, check Ultimate Guide to Kauai. Lydgate Park also good for beginners or if ocean is rough.

Finally, I have heard that one can encounter rays (stingrays) in your neck of the woods. Where would you go to see sealife in Clearwater Area (other than the aquarium)? We have seen the dolphins in Tampa Bay, but nothing else.
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Lots of Rays in the Tampa Bay Area but they don't bother you unless you happen to step on one. The fish in the area aren't very colorful.

As for the Revealed books - I have them all, with pages folded, highlights and comments in the margin from excellent info I've gotten on this site. Sometimes people have very different opinions from those in the book and I like to hear everyone's personal thoughts
Jul 16th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

JohnD: If you go to Homosassa Springs or Crystal River (About 50-60 miles north of Clearwater) you can snorkel in either of the spring-fed rivers with Manatees (sea cows) That's pretty neat!!
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:13 PM

I love hawaii and all it has to offer. If snorkeling is something you love without a boat trip. Go to loco gringo.com and look at akumal,mexico. Then look up- club oasis .com, it is amazing you can snorkel right from the beach and see all kinds of sea life.

OH i am sure you have got black rock down for a 1/2 day trip , good snorkeling and just a very nice area. nick
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:59 AM

Reply to Nancy: Mahalo for the Homosassa/Crystal Info., perhaps I will get the chance for this snorkel on my next spring visit.

Reply to sail10: Thanks for the tip, we have previously enjoyed the snorkeling at Xcaret and at El Garaffon National Park on Isla Mujeres, but have been reluctant to venture to far from Cancun. How is the drinking water/neighborhood in Akumal and is it easy to get to? (I will check Mexico thread on Fodors.com)
Jul 18th, 2003, 10:09 AM

Sights not to be missed on Maui:
Iao Valley
Crater at the top of Haleakala
Gardens and views in Upcountry
Walk through the lobbies and grounds of the big resort hotels in Wailea and Kaanapali
Lahaina town history and shops, restaurants, harbor, banyan tree

LOTS more Maui information at
www.mauihawaii.org

Aloha,
Jon
Jul 18th, 2003, 05:15 PM

I also stayed at the FS Maui.

We ate at Nicks and Mamas. We loved Mamas. We were going to go to Sarrentos, but, when I asked the concierge to make the reservation for us, she said that FS does not recommend this restaurant.

Our absolute favorite restaurant, was Ferraros at the hotel. Delicious italian food on the beach.

another highlight for us was doing the full circle around Hana and not turning around to repeat the drive back.
Jul 18th, 2003, 05:20 PM

one more...
we went over to the shops at wailea and the ice cream store there had some of the best I ever had
Jul 27th, 2003, 02:41 PM

We stayed at the four seasons in May and loved it. See our room photos at the link below.

http://www.northwestmom.com/travel.html
Aug 15th, 2003, 08:47 PM

We're also staying in Huelo in September, after a few days on the South Shore. Have done the "beach thing" on Maui several times, so looking forward to something a bit different. On that side of the island don't miss spending some time in Paia and Makawao. Both have old plantation-style buildings, nice shops with island crafts and artwork, and some good places to eat. I doubt if the snorkeling will be any good in Hana area. Ocean much too rough most of the time. Far better on the south and west sides of the island.
Aug 15th, 2003, 08:56 PM

Re: snorkeling at Big Beach...I have heard from our Maui kayak guide and read in several guide books that it has a very dangerous shorebreak. There's a lot better places to go.

love
roxy