Self catering in Boston

Search

Self catering in Boston

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2016, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self catering in Boston

I'm looking for recommendations for self catering accommodation in Boston for 3 nights in June 2017. We are a retired couple from Australia. Budget is up to $Aus300 per night. Not too many stairs!
Any suggestions?
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 05:00 AM

Americans don't ordinarily use the phrase "self-catering", so you will need to look for phrases like "studio with kitchenette" (bed sitter) or "short term with kitchenette" or "one bedroom short term." There are also chain motels like Residence Inn that offer what you want, but they tend not to be in central districts.

You need to look for listings in Boston (Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Fenway, Financial District, North End, South End), Brookline, Cambridge, Somerville, and Charlestown. These have easy access to most of the places visitors want to go by public transportation if not on foot.

You can look for commercial short stay apartments meant for business visitors, but they will be out of your price range. Renting for less than a week may be an obstacle as well except at Residence Inns or Candlewood or Embassy Suites or the like.

That said, look at VRBO and Homeaway (same company under the skin), then AirBnB, but be more careful, then Craigslist, where you will need to be very careful indeed especially since you will be renting from abroad, which will catch the eyes of all sorts of swindlers. After all, you have no way to know if a rental actually exists or if the person offering it is authorized to do so.

Please understand that locals don't generally stay in these kinds of places except when they are transferred in, so my information may well be/is likely to be out of date.

Good luck!
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 05:46 AM

Using US terms and quoting in US money for budget might get you more/clearer answers.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 08:22 AM

For just three nights, I'd opt for a Residence Inn or similar. You just buy yourselves hassles by going with VBRO or AirBnB. A quick search on Google turns up 5 Residence Inns in the Boston area, including several very centrally located in downtown.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 08:40 AM

Kathie, which Residence Inn at a good location in Boston Proper can you get a rate of $230 a night in June - all in?
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 09:15 AM
cw

Take a look at the John Jeffries House. It is well-located, walkable to the Boston Common and the Freedom Trail and near an MBTA stop. Most rooms have kitchenettes. Taxes of 14.5% are added to hotel rooms in Boston.

Copley House and Chandler Studios in the South End also have kitchens.

As mentioned above, also look at VRBO and AirBnB. Before booking though, check back here on the location. Some places won't be as convenient to public transportation as others. I wouldn't bother with Craigslist. Too many potential problems.

Not sure when in June you are coming, but MIT's graduation is in early June, which will make hotel rooms more scarce and expensive.

Make a reservation now that you can cancel without penalty, then check back on rates as your trip approaches.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 09:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a Residence Inn in Cambridge near MIT. Jump on the Red Line to get into Boston quickly.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 09:50 AM

Inakauaidavidababy, I just realized I looked at October rates at those hotels - you are right that June is more expensive. Though it is still possible to find a nearby Residence Inn for that price - the one across the Harbor from Boston, near the airport has good prices even in June.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 12:32 PM

You have just hit the problem of booking by name in Boston.

The Residence Inn Logan Airport is actually in Chelsea, on US 1 despite its address. It is 4/10 of a mile on foot to the nearest bus stop, then 20 minutes to Haymarket Square in Boston. It is not a place I would be comfortable walking at night.

Cambridge would be much better -- I think but don't gave time to look it up.

If the John Jeffries house is available, it may well be close to what you were looking for. It is certainly convenient to transportation.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 02:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
For only three days do you really need a kitchen? There are many inexpensive places to eat in the city. Also, look at John Jeffries as mentioned above. Being near the MBTA is important.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I will continue my search using your advice.