Seeking a home around Richmond

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are looking for areas around Richmond that are more rural than city. He will be working in Chester area (south Richmond) off of I-95...

What areas are more rural with older homes, with the possibility of rentals? I need to find a home with either a basement or garage - being a Faux Artist/Painter, I need that type of area to work from.

We're looking forward to learning alot about this wonderful area.

It's been a long time since we made our way back North, and being able to see a Fall/Winter season again!

Thank you!
Juliana
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Basements are not common in the Richmond area. If you weren't looking for rural, I'd recommend the Fan District. We live in Powhatan, which is not far from Chester (via 288) but I'm not sure about the rental situation here. Colonial Heights is a fairly small town just south of Chester off of 95 and you might have some luck there.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
hey I responded to your other post. It sounded like you were looking for more info than a tourist.
I don't live near Chester, but I live in Chesterfield County. I live in the northern end of the county. I would recommend Powhatan as a more rural community that has the highway 288 that will run you further south. Powhatan has acreage laws for building. So, you will have privacy and peace. Like the above poster mentioned, Richmond does not have a lot of basements. They will be on sloped lots only because of the high water table. Many do have bonus rooms over the garage they use as play rooms. That could easily be your art room
I wish I could be more helpful with south Richmond, but I have not even driven through there very often.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:11 PM

You might want to look into the Forest Hills and Westover Hills neighborhoods of Richmond. You're still in the city, but there are lots of wooded lots, it's right near the river, and there are a few parks over there. It's very convenient to the highway, downtown and the Fan. It should be easy to find a rental property there, too.

For what it's worth, I've rented a couple houses in Richmond (Fan and Northside) and all have had basements.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Forgot to say those neighborhoods are on the South side, right over the river.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:13 AM

There was a huge thread on this last year, some of it enlightening, some not. Everyone told how wonderful their neighborhood was and why. Do a search on Richmond and look for the big one.

Short summary based on that thread and many recent visits (every two months for the last two years): suburbs are pleasant and generally have good public schools but may be boring. It is hard to tell Chesterfield or Short Pump from Columbus, Ohio. The city is more individual and interesting -- Fan, Cary Street, area around Virginia Commonwealth University, Shockoe Slip -- especially for an artist/craftsperson, but many are nervous about urban public high schools.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:23 AM

Actually, Chester itself has some very nice older homes.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:28 AM

If he doesn't mind the commute, Hanover County. Super commute- Caroline County.