Search

Seeing lava at dawn

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing lava at dawn

Going to the big island in August, but of course I'm already thinking about the trip!
Our plan is to fly into Kona & spend the first night somewhere near the Volcano (we then have 5 nights booked at Hapuna Prince). Everyone seems to hike to the active lava at sunset. Since we will be wide awake at 4:00 a.m. on our first morning, is it feasible to walk out there before sunrise? I have read all the information about how tricky it can be in the dark and am well aware of the hazards. Thanks for any comments.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:39 PM

You can go whenever you like, as the site is just open lava fields.

I think the problem with dawn will be that there may not be any Rangers or other hikers at that time. You may not even know which direction to head.

And although you are aware of the very real dangers, I will point them out for other readers here- uneven surface with lots of "potholes', sharp glass shards, thin crust with molten lava underneath. A twisted ankle or worse can really ruin a vacation.

If you go at sunset, you are able to get used to the hazards while you can still see.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Good info, thank you very much!
Now DH wants to hike the trail to the summit of Mauna Kea from the Onizuki visitor center, 6 miles one way, 4500' uphill. Like the Grand Canyon, he says. Sigh...
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:40 AM

I'd defintely do that. We got up at 4am and hiked out (see my recent trip report i just posted ... the long one).

I'd prefer to go out in the morning and avoid the crowds (and the mile walk from your car to even START the hike).

With flashlight, the hike was pretty straightforward. Lots of reflectors so you can find your way, rope along the coast so you don't stray off-course, and pylons for part to help you find your way.

Not an easy hike though. As previously stated, is over some rough ground, but if you stick near the rope, lots of people have tread that way, so seemed like path a bit more worn and easy to follow.

Well worth the view. I have photos on my trip report so you can spot what you'd see.

Other suggestion would be when you get closer to your trip, check out the volcano observatory page for the eruption update. I looked at that alot before we went for an idea of what we'd see. Also arnotts lodge posts photos of the hikes they sponsor on their page. While you don't need to take their hike, it also gives you a good idea of what the conditions are before you go.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:53 AM

BTW, the hike up to the top of Mauna Kea....yes, think Grand Canyon...if it were below freezing at the grand canyon.... just drive it, not worth bringing warm weather gear to hawaii for that

i got out of car at the top in shorts and t-shirt.....it was windy and cold, VERY VERY cold

but breathtaking views up above the clouds