Search

Sedona Travel

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 05:06 PM
amber

Sedona Travel

I am planning on an 8 day trip to Sedona. Is it feasible to stay there but rent a jeep & do day trips to the Grand Canyon, Indian country, etc.? When is the best time to go to avoid crowds & high season? Where is a great place to stay that's not too pricey? Any activity suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Old May 23rd, 2001, 06:10 PM
net

We stayed in Sedona several years ago for a few days during a week's vacation to Arizona. Sedona is a unique funky town that is a must see for everyone. We had a car (I'm sure you can rent one in Sedona, but how are you going to get there?) and did a day trip to the Grand Canyon. We even did a few mile hike into the Canyon. I believe it was about a 3-4 hour drive and I must say a long day, but well worth it. In a jeep it might even be a longer trip. I might even suggest to you to stay overnight at the Canyon. Unfortunately there weren't any hotels that looked to have much character right around the Canyon.

We stayed at an upscale B & B in Sedona that was not very reasonable, but was very nice. We golfed one day and did a beautiful red rock hike another day. Great restaurants, great shops.

Sorry, don't know much about the Indian country.

Enjoy your trip!

Old May 23rd, 2001, 06:26 PM
Paul

If I recall there are two routes to Grand Canyon from Sedona, a scenic route and a faster, highway route. I think the faster route will take somewhere around 2 1/2 hrs to drive.

As for activities, if you like horseback riding there are some great trails to try in the Sedona area. Jeep tours are also fun and there are many routes to try.

Sedona has become much more popular and crowded in the past few years. Fortunately we went at end of October and crowds weren't bad at all, weather a bit nippy at night but pleasant enough with the sun out.

Old May 24th, 2001, 06:05 AM
joy

check out their website:
http://www.swinn.com/

I stayed there last summer, thought it was reasonable and very attractive. They serve a "continental breakfast" unlike any you've had.

Make sure you see the red rock chapel in Sedona, it's gorgeous.

Old May 24th, 2001, 06:13 AM
Al

Phone 1-800-288-7336 and ask the Sedona Chamber of Commerce to send you a free copy of their 70-page "Experience Sedona" guide. Answers just about all your questions.

Old May 24th, 2001, 09:10 AM
jim

Summer is pretty crazy at the Grand Canyon, but early fall -- after the kids go back to school -- can be nice.

One idea: There are tour companies that run trips from Sedona to the GC. We used one and enjoyed it. They'll pick you up at your hotel (usually around 6 am) and take the scenic route through a Navajo reservation.

All in all -- even though we're usually not "tour" people -- we liked it. And, sorry, I don't have the name of the company we used.

Old May 24th, 2001, 08:40 PM
Garry

I was in Sedona for a few days in mid Feb and it was AWSOME!!!The weather is perfect and I stayed at a small hotel on the outskirts of town for around $75 per night. Kids were minimal and the best thing was when I visited the Grand Canyon you could see small pockets of snow...made for great pictures with a difference!

Old May 27th, 2001, 11:09 AM
amber

I called & ordered the Sedona travel packet. I'm thinking September for a trip. Is it too hot still at that time? I also don't want to have to battle tourists everywhere I go so is this considered off season?

Old May 30th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Heather

Hi There:

Just got back from Arizona trip on Monday. It was our second time in Sedona and we had a great hotel this time (I chose it through recommendations on this site). Try the Skyranch Lodge (520)282-6400.

I'd recommend spending a couple of nights at the Grand Canyon and doing some hiking. If you have kids, there are lots of ranger programs etc. for them and it's unbelievably cheap (for some reason the cafeterias and snack bars have great prices -- 4 of us ate full breakfasts for less than $20/day).

Personally, I'm not a big Sedona fan. It's beautiful and great for a short stop, but I found the people were verrrry flaky (if you didn't know, it's a big "spiritual" centre with "Vortex" points and tons of services like stone therapy and crystal therapy. As a result, service was slow and requests were met with a blank stare.

All that being said, it's worth a day or two. The main street was teeming with tour buses but from our hotel/motel the views were great and there is great hiking.

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:23 AM
Greg

Yesterday I received a postcard from the Enchantment Resort offering $150 a night casitas for Sunday through Thursday stays during June, July and August.

That is an incredible deal.

We stayed there for a week last August and paid at least $100 a night more.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 04:28 PM
barbara

while you are in sedona take time to go to jerome. it was an old mining town. now it is a ghost town. very nice drive to the top. ask at your hotel about going there. also the pink jeep tour is a lot of fun. try it. have fun, very beautiful scenery. take panoramic camera. have fun!!

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 06:13 PM
gwen

I just got back from Sedona last week...starting to get a little hot but not bad...if you go to the Canyon which no question you should you might consider staying at the Sheridan House Inn in Williams...the town leaves much to be desired but the Inn is great, in the pines, and was one of the best laid-out B&B type places for the guests I've seen...full breakfast, dinner included in rate, and more you'll find out if you go there...and is only 50-60 miles from Canyon. Also keeps you closer to Sedona- and if you can, the Alt. 89/179 road from Flagstaff to Sedona through Oak Creek Canyon (not the 17) is spectacular. Keep your eyes open at the Canyon...we saw four CA. condors.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 06:17 PM
gwen

Oh- i forgot to add we stayed at the PenRose B&B in Sedona- actually was 6 miles south of town, nice to get out of the tourist center...not sure if you want b&bs but the site is http://www.thepenrose.com

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 06:22 PM
gwen

At the risk of being obsesssive compulsive with a 3rd post, i have to disagree with the post knocking Sedona...I've been all over the southwest and just visited Sedona for the first time and found it totally breathtaking. It deserves a good camera...and panoramic shot setting.