Sedona-the next best place to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a January trip to Sedona and while everything I read says Enchantment, Enchantment, Enchantment, they have no rooms with king beds during the time we will be there -the rooms with 2 queens or the studios sound a bit pricey given the relative lack of amenities. L'Auberge only has a garden cottages-the creekside are not available and Amara would require that we switch rooms during our stay...

So what are our best choices? B & B's? Boots and Saddles has their new room available, the Inn at Sedona has a few nice rooms as do Alma de Sedona and the Sunset Chateau. Someone on Trip Advisor forum mention the Cathedral Hideaway (www.sedonacathedralhideaway.com) which looks pretty lavish but it is only a 2 room B & B.

We are hoping to get good views, a fireplace and hot tub/jacuzzi and don't care if we are in town. I am thinking we would like something in a sunny locale since we think of the sun as a luxury in January. Is there a show stopper you can think of? Thanks!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:51 PM
TheWeasel

"We are hoping to get good views, a fireplace and hot tub/jacuzzi and don't care if we are in town. I am thinking we would like something in a sunny locale since we think of the sun as a luxury in January."

Go camping. The only thing you'd be missing out on is the hot tub. Plenty of sun, great views, and your very own campfire/fireplace.

Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:34 PM

Suggest you check out Sky Ranch Lodge.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM
emd

I have stayed at Enchantment twice and am not a big fan of the place. There are many other places to stay that are very nice w/views; I would not think of these places as the "next best" by any means.

How much are you willing to spend? What are your dates in January? Have you thought about a place like Junipine? It is up in Oak Creek Canyon about 5 miles outside uptown Sedona and has different views than red rocks, but is a wonderful place in winter, w/two fireplaces in the units (one in LR and one smaller kiva style in king bedrm.), full kitchen, many units have hot tubs on the decks and overlook the cvanyon walls and the creek roaring below. Lovely, and you get GREAT stars above at night since it is a bit out of town and in the canyon.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

This is a celebration trip (my big birthday-I am going to be officially old) and we want somewhere memorable. I will check out both websites-we are trying to stay under $300 a night (even less if the rate doesn't include breakfast). We will be going the last weekend in January.

One concern about the Junipine is that it sounds a bit colder and darker along the creek than it would be in on the open plateau. Is that an incorrct impression? We are from the Midwest and hoping to suck up some turquoise blue skies on our vacation.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Quick Update-Junipine is not available for our dates...any other ideas?
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
emd

Try Canyon Villa B&B.

It comes highly recommended by friends, who got one of the nicer rooms w/fireplace, incredible view, mucho hospitality and service. Also, Fairhope (a poster here) stayed there for his big anniversary in 10/05 and liked it. It has consistently very good ratings on tripadvisor also.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
emd

and they have availability for your dates.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
ppm

Yes, try Canyon Villa Inn. Stayed there a couple weeks ago and had a very nice time there. Beautiful views from every room. Innkeepers are very nice. See if Spanish Bayonet or Ocotillo rooms are available.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 04:20 AM

We stayed at the Wishing Well B&B, just minutes north of town. Very nice, great breakfast brought to your room, hiking right out in back of the inn. We ate dinner at L'Auberge - yummy!!!
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Fairhope

Yes to Canyon Villa Inn and my wife is constantly wearing an antique silver necklace we purchased at Garlands!!

Old Dec 24th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Canyon Villa fireplace rooms are booked for these days....since it will be winter, I am thinking that a fireplace will be an added plus. Has anyone stayed at/seen/know about the Lodge at Sedona or Boots and Saddles? Is the Canyon Villa so superior that it is worth foregoing tbe fireplace?
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 02:05 PM

We stayed at Canyon Villa B&B in room without a fireplace. It was very nice, with big rooms and a clear view of Bell Rock. There is a fireplace in the living room. Interestingly, the guests seem to go to been very early at Canyon Villa.

Boots and Saddles did seem nice, though.

We did see a hotel that floored us. But, it is not in Sedona. It is called La Posada in Winslow. We will probably stay at La Posada next time we are in Central Arizona. The hotel is a living museum of Arizona heritage.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 07:50 PM

Do Sky Ranch Lodge....way up above the nonsense. Get a unit which looks out over the valley into the red rocks. They have efficiencies, lovelyk landscaped grounds, a great pool.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 02:30 PM

We visited the Hilton--gorgeous. It's about 10 minutes from downtown in Oak Creek. 4 pools, great spa, all rooms
are jr. suites with fireplaces. Well in
your budget range. Very friendly staff.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 04:12 PM

My husband and I stayed at Boots and Saddles 2 years ago for 2 nights and LOVED IT!!! Sam and Irtha were so nice and Irtha sat down with us and warned us of all the tacky tourist traps...made dinner reservations...showed us where the cookies are in case we want a snack. I think the room we stayed in was the Western - I will look and post back - their web site appears to be down right now. Sam's breakfast was delish! Our room had a hot tub, fireplace and a little bit of a view. We had reservations for the Verde Canyon Railroad (highly, highly recommend) and could not stay for breakfast our second morning....when we returned from dinner there was a breakfast 'to go' bag waiting in our room packed full of lots of goodies and two throw away coffee cups so we could get some coffee for the road - how thoughtful! Check out the reviews on trip advisor - that's what sold me!

http://www.tripadvisor.com

Old Dec 25th, 2006, 04:27 PM

I agree you can't beat the Sky Ranch Lodge cliff edge units when it comes to views!!!