Sedona lodging in town?

Search

Sedona lodging in town?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedona lodging in town?

Can anyone please help me find a nice, reasonable price lodging in town of Sedona for our trip in early March? We have a 16 month old and don't want to drive into town everyday to explore Sedona. So it would be nice if we can walk around nearby. Also, it would be great if the place had some sort of kitchenette. So B&B recs would be great. For price range, we were hoping in the $200/night range. Please help
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 04:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I wonder if you've read much about the town of Sedona.

Essentially, there are 2 sides; the West side and North or North/East.

There's some federal forest land I believe in between.

The town itself isn't much to explore. A bunch of t-shirt stores, art(?) galleries and restaurants that close 9PM.

The beauty is the setting and the red rocks all around the area.

You can explore Sedona in 30 minutes.

Others who may have gone with a young one will have to give you advice on that part.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help. You are correct that I didn't read that much about Sedona. I just figured that there was lots to see and better to stay near town. I have been considering staying at Los Posadas in Oak Creek and about 7 miles from Sedona, but worried that it might be too far to drive each day into town to eat and explore. From what you mentioned, it sounds like I dont have to stay in town. Does everyone agree?
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM

I would agree with that. There's really not much to the actual town.

Consider Sky Ranch Lodge. Its convenient to everything, has great views, and I think its great value for the place. Rooms have kitchenettes, and they are less than $200.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 07:03 PM

yeah, not much to the actual town. it's the surroundings that make sedona great and for that you would need to take a car and walk a bit. A nice riparian flat trail is West Fork trail in case you want to do a mini hike with a baby bjorn or something?
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 02:51 AM

Actually, Oak Creek at 7 miles isn't bad. That 7 miles is probably to Sedona center.

Between the 2 on that road are several beautiful mini-hikes that may be appropriate depending how you plan to transport the 16 month old.

I've seen people with back-pack type carriers but always wondered how they balance.

I guess it takes practice and some strength.

Bell Rock & Courthouse Butte are between Oak Creek and Sedona. There's a pretty flat little hike called Bell Rock Pathway (not actual Bell Rock that goes up the Rock).

The Pathway is beautiful, pretty flat and not very long.

Broken Arrow is very scenic (also between Sedona and Oak Creek a bit above Bell Rock).

While this is rated as easy you may want to take a Pink Jeep tour of it.

Pink Jeep maintains a parallel jeep trail on this hike. It might be a bit too bouncy for a 16 month old. Maybe others can comment or you can call them.

For the Sedona layout, try to picture 3 roads meeting in one spot. The intersection is called the "T" if I remember correctly. Actually it's more like a "Y".

One road comes from the west from Jerome. The second comes from the north from Flagstaff (Grand Canyon) and the third comes from the South (Phoenix and Oak Creek).

I stayed at the Best Western Inn of Sedona. I'm not sure if they have kitchenettes. You can call. Very close to the "T". I think they have rooms with refrigerator and coffe maker. Breakfast is included.

However, it's off the highway about 50 yards and a bit above. It was very quiet. Also, some of the rooms have a front door to the parking lot and a back door to a very large pation with a great view of Chimney Rock.

Being up a hill, the main level is actually the 3rd floor.

To give you an idea, you can see my photos at:

www.travelwalks.com
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 06:11 AM

Have you ever heard the expression:

There is no "there" there.

Well, that describes Sedona. There is no one place where you say "Ok I have arrived." Rather, the value of a trip to Sedona is the landscape and the amazing views in every direction.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:28 AM

You might want to check out the Hilton hotel in Oak Creek. We went there two years ago with 4 families and it worked out well. The rooms are "suites" so you can hang out in the living room while your child naps and there are kitchenettes in the rooms.

We got a deal that included breakfast each day which worked out well. As others have said, Sedona is in the surroundings so any place would be good.

Also check out Los Abrigados. It is a time share place but we rented from them on a previous trip and it worked out great.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you so much for helping me learn more about Sedona. I am actually going to Phoenix for work and decided to stop by Sedona while I'm there so I haven't really researched. Now I know that I dont really have to stay at a particular place to enjoy the scenary.

Myer, oh my lord your pictures are AMAZING! My mouth just dropped as I went through the pictures. Are you a photographer because every picture looks like a post card. I'm especially interested in the Antelope Canyon. That place looks straight out of star wars! Is that a place I can easily walk to?

I know people with young kids tend to use the backpack holder thing, but my daughter is so heavy now and she's breaking my back, so I'll just have to walk around with her.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Oh also, we are deciding on staying 2 or 3 nights. Do you think 2 nights will be okay or should we stay 3 nights? We can't really hike so we'll have to stick to driving and flat easy hikes.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM

swiggle,

Thanks.

Photography is a hobby.

Antelope Canyon is not in Sedona. It's just outside of Page (as is Horseshoe Bend). You'll have to look it up on a map. Page is about 160 miles or 3 hours north of Sedona.

Also, once there you can't go alone. You must be driven by truck for about 15 minutes. It's on Navajo land and they charge to go there. About $26 per person. Well worth it. It's a very level couple of hundred yard walk inside the Canyon. Amazing!!!

I don't know what the weather is like in early March when you're in Sedona. However, if you go thru the photos you'll see Cathedral Rock. The reflection in the water and the way it changes to gold as the sun sets is amazing.

I found a spot on one side of Oak Creek that had the reflection in the water.

If the weather is warm enough that may be an idea for you. It's in the Crescent Moon picnic grounds in Sedona West. From the "T" to Sedona West is less than 5 minutes and then you go south on a road for a mile or so.

You can Google Crescent Moon Picnic Sedona. It's on federal forest land and they have a map. I was there on a Saturday evening and there were four weddings taking place there.

Oh yes. Just to bring up another topic.

Google "Vortex Sedona" to get an education. If you're going to Sedona you have to learn about the 5(?) vortexes (votices). The picnic area is one of them so that may be the reason for the weddings.

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Pink Jeep has a minimum age of 18 months.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM

Robert Burns put it best: "Oh would the power o' giftee gee us, to see ourselves as others see us." We have lived in Sedona almost 25 years. The descriptions of our lovely corner of America amaze us with their distortions, goofy expectations, and downright errors.

First, if a person wants night life, they should go to Las Vegas or stay wherever the bright lights shine. We prefer dark skies filled with stars.

Second, if they seek unbelievably beautiful scenery, friendly people,
and small-town life, come to Sedona. We are a town of about 10,000 people. Phoenix adds that much population every six weeks -- has done so for years and years.

Third, if it's mega-shopping they seek, people should go elsewhere. True, we have art galleries that may not appeal to everyone, a very subjective judgment. I wouldn't want to judge everyone's taste, nor should they judge mine.

Fourth, we have dozens of hiking trails, two wonderful state parks, peace, quiet, and nature at its best. Our weather offers four mild seasons, almost no insects, and sunsets that will melt the coldest heart.

If people want excitement, thrill rides on rollercoasters, or tasteless excess, there are markets that provide such. But not Sedona.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 05:36 PM

USNR,

I think your description of Sedona is accurate.

However, I think there's a very big difference between what you chose in an area to be your home and what many expect when visiting what is surely described as one of the most beautiful areas in the country.

Some people plan a trip thinking they are going to a beautiful small city or town.

What you describes is a lifestyle and a setting.

To fully enjoy the lifestyle you must really live there. To enjoy the setting you have to understand what you are about to see.

I beliueve it's one of the most beautiful settings and I'm the first to say it.

It's all a matter of expectations.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 06:13 PM

I have also stayed at the Hilton in Oak Creek and found it quite nice. There is a wonderful scent there from the bushes planted in the area. It may well be in your price range.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Myer-
I have to agree. Those photos are absolutely superb!
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Orlando,

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed them.

Whenever I look at them they get me thinking about going back.

Too many places. Not enough time.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your reply. Myer I looked up the votexes and that is definitely I'll go see!

Question for everyone that stayed at the hilton, I read on the website that they have a microwave and a kitchenette, but do they have a refrigerator we can put milk in? We'll definitely need a refrigerator we can use.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 05:23 AM

Swiggle,

The Vortex sites are basically all in areas you might want to visit anyway.

a) The airport

b) Red Rock Crossing/Cathedral Rock/Oak creek (located in the Crescent Moon picnic area

c) Boynton Canyon Vista (at the start of the Boynton Canyon trail)

d) Bell Rock (on Rt 179 between the "T" and Oak Creek)
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 05:39 AM

When we visited Sedona, we stayed in the Hyatt Pinon Pointe, which was superb and included a full kitchen. However, that was in 2004 and they had just opened, so perhaps the rooms were cheaper than they are now (we paid around $150 for a 2 bedroom condo/apartment).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -