COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Sedona Hotels

Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Sedona Hotels

Does anyone know anything about the Kokopelli Suites in Sedona? Are there any better places to stay?
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:29 PM

We stayed at the Sedona Hilton which is a 3 star hotel in January 2002. We got the room through Priceline for $40.00 a night. We thought it was great, although it is about 7 miles outside of the downtown area. If you check out Biddingfortravel.com, they are a Priceline information website. Sorry, I don't know anything about the Kokopelli Suites.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.

We'd actually like to stay at the Sedona Hilton, but Priceline's web site says that it's not possiible to select a specific hotel? Were you able to select the Sedona Hilton through using Priceline? If so, how?
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:34 PM

You cannot actually pick the hotel that you are bidding for, but the Hilton Sedona is the only 3 star hotel that has shown up. So, if you only bid for a 3* in that area, unless Priceline has added another 3* to their inventory, then you should get the Hilton if they accept your bid. We have been using priceline for about 3 years worth of vacations. My husband and I frequently travel and have (knock on wood) never been disappointed in the rooms that we have received from priceline. We also have never been treated like second-class citizens from any of the properties that we have stayed at. BUT we do not demand special treatment when we check in. If you check out biddingfortravel.com, you will find this very informative. We really overbid before we found this website.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:35 PM

There's no way to select a specific hotel thru Priceline or Hotwire; however, both of them frequently use the Sedona Hilton as one of their hotels. Expedia sometimes has rates that beat Priceline and with them you get to pick the hotel.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:59 PM

Actually asposner, if you would specify your dates, I could look up some information about availibility. Out of curiosity, I entered the dates of 7/22 with check-out of 7/24 for Sedona and found that the rate for the Hilton is $137, that is not quite the priceline rates of $35-45 that I have seen. BUT again, you don't pick the specific hotel, it's just that that is the only 3* hotel that has been reported to biddingfortravel.com as having been a winning bid. We thouroughly investigate the area we want to go, and we look at the hotel review section on the above mentioned website before we place a bid. We also check all of the other web sites for hotel specials, this includes expedia. We have rarely found a better deal than priceline, but we have also given up the "choice" of hotels. If they do not have the sort of inventory that would be acceptable to our tastes, then we do not proceed with bidding.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, highbay. That's quite nice of you. We plan to check in on 7/10 and check out on 7/14.

I'd never heard of biddingfortravel.com before. I'll have to check them out. Thanks!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:30 PM

I checked on the Hilton site and there is availability on those dates. Their lowest rate is 149.00 per night and that is an internet only rate. The next available rate is 159.00. Expedia has it available for every night except Sat., which is no good unless you want to move out for 1 night (yuck!!!)and the rate is 137.00-147.00 per night. That is no bargain. I looked on biddingfortravel, and I didn't see where anyone had posted a winning bid lately for a 3* in Sedona, but they are still only showing the Hilton as the only hotel that has been reported in that area. There is a resort -Radisson Poco Diablo that has been going for 60.00 a night, but I don't know anything about it. I do believe it is closer to the city of Sedona. If I were you, I would try a bid of 40.00 for a 3* in Sedona. With Priceline, if your bid in rejected, you wait 72hrs (not 71hrs) to bid again. If you have a reservation that you can cancel at Kokopelli, that leaves you about 5 bidding chances through Priceline. I would increase my bid by about 5.00 each time I bid or do a final bid of about 60.00. This hotel is really worth it.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:39 PM

One other thing about using Priceline.com. While placing your initial bid, you will get a message that will advise you of what the going rate is for the star level that you chose for the area you are bidding. Do not pay attention to these inflated prices. We have found that basically that is hogwash. After you place your bid, unless you have overbid, you will receive a message that tells you that you have little chance of obtaining a hotel at the price that you bid. This too is hogwash. It is a way for priceline to get you to up your bid. There is a "skip this page" option, and my advice through experience is to skip the page. They had us fooled for a while and we placed some overbids thanks to that message.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, highbay. All very interesting and seasoned advice.

I didn't mention but a few weeks ago, we actually placed reservations at both the Hilton and at the Kokopelli...each at about $140/night; two day ago, we canceled the Kokopelli reservation.

My only concern about now going the Priceline route is that, if successful, I might wind with two separate Hilton reservations. That might (a) raise a flag at the hotel and/or (b) cause my Priceline reservation to (somehow) get messed up and voided.

Any sage advice? Thanks!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 05:28 PM

If you are allowed to cancel your reservations at the Hilton at any time (usually within 24hrs of your reserved time) there should be no problem. If you were already charged (prepaid room) then that is another story. When you bid through Priceline, Priceline makes the hotel reservations in your name. If you bid and get accepted through Priceline and need to cancel the reservation that you placed, it should be as simple as telling the reservation clerk that you were able to get a better price through Priceline and would like to cancel the one that you placed. I guess it is really up to you whether or not you want to try the Priceline route. We have found it very easy, and very affordable. I am an RN and have made many bids for the girls that I work with because they don't seem to understand the system. BUT then again, we travel about once a month, so we have placed many bids. We have also taken trips in which we did not have reservations and paid ridiculous hotel fares because we "played it by ear". I now have a laptop computer, and bring it on vacation. I do some computer homework in areas that we have not already made arrangements, and have bid and received hotel rooms that I could not have otherwise gotten (price-wise)if booked conventionally.
Good luck, and let me know what you do. If you decide not to try Priceline, I would certainly understand, like I said, many of my co-workers have me bid for them because they are intimidated by it.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

I guess I'm not so much intimidated by the system as I am leary about how the hotel will treat the overall transaction, especially if we are successful using Priceline. For example, even if the hotel does cancel the more expensive reservation, then as a result of having saved a couple of hundred dollars, are we likely to receive 'less than standard' treatment at the hotel? Hopefully not, but I'd hate to get a substandard room or a room in a poor location (e.g., next to the elevators) as a result of the Priceline transaction. While I know you may not be able to speak for the Sedona Hilton, what has your general experience been? Thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:32 AM

Here's something to consider regarding the Sedona Hilton. Most of the rooms are suites, and they're very nice. However, my understanding is that there are several single rooms, and it's possible that's what you might end up with via Priceline. Not sure how to find out, other than checking with biddingfortravel or other's experiences. We booked using the entertainment card, and they were very clear that there were two different levels of rooms, so we chose to spend the difference to guarantee a suite. We thought it was a great place and enjoyed our stay. By the way, I hope you realize that if you book thru Priceline or the Entertainment card, you don't get Hilton Honors points (no big deal, but just wanted to mention it). Good Luck.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Judy24...Thanks for the heads-up warning. I just checked on Biddingfortravel.com, but could not find any guidance regarding suites vs. single rooms. Since we'll be travelling with our two teenage daughters, a single room may not be suitable.

Does anyone (maybe highbay) have any experience in this regard?
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:01 PM

I've never stayed at the Sedona HIlton thru Priceline, but I've stayed at more than 10 hotels thru Priceline and was never made to feel like I was less than special because I dealt with Priceline. When I was staying at an NYC 4-star hotel for $90 per night, I politely asked for a nice room with a view, and I got one. Why don't you simply call the Hilton and ask them about their different types of rooms? You would be able to get 2 Priceline rooms for less than the regular price of one even if they are "single" rooms (and Priceline guarantees the rooms are doubles at least).
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

I called the Hilton and they said there's definitely a difference in size between the suites and the single rooms, but had 'no information' as to how much of a difference. Despite that, through Priceline, I just put in a $55 bid that was promptly rejected. I guess I'll try again Monday night.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:45 PM

Give Hotwire and Expedia a try, too. There is no bidding on Hotwire - you know the price beforehand and have a good description of the offering, but no actual property names until you "buy" the accommodation. With Expedia, the prices are higher but you know exactly where you're staying. I have gotten a few rates on Hotwire that were better than Priceline.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Postal. We'd really prefer to stay at the Hilton. As with using Priceline, by using Hotwire, is there any way to constrain the request so as to be reasonably certain that a specific hotel will be selected?
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 01:46 PM

We were given a suite @ the Hilton during our stay. It was very nice. We were treated very well, and as the other poster stated, we have also used Priceline dozens of times and have NEVER been treated poorly. When we have wanted something special, like a corner room, we always ask if it is at all possible. We have never been told no. Good luck.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 04:44 PM

I just checked Expedia for your dates and the Hilton is showing $147 per night. Hotwire only has two hotels available in all of Sedona for those dates - and the three star hotel (which the Hilton is) was $83. No way to tell it's the HIlton for sure.

If you do decide to use Priceline, join the Hilton's club - I think it's actually Starwood's club - because that'll usually get you an upgrade at Hiltons no matter what you paid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO