Sedona Day Trip from Phoenix

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, folks. I've searched the Arizona board, but not found the info I'm looking for. I will be in Phoenix in a couple of weeks and would like to take a day trip to Sedona. I've never been. Would like to see the scenery, do some light hiking, hopefully watch the sunset, have a nice meal, then return to Phoenix. Any recommendations for such an itenary?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:11 PM

Not sure what you are looking for but Sedona is a very popular topic on this forum. I just typed in Sedona in the search box and got around 30 threads about Sedona just in the last few months. Most people don't just list an itinerary, they ask about specific tours, restaurants, hotels, hikes, etc. So read through the posts to get some ideas then come back with specific questions. You can also search under Sedona restaurants, Sedona hikes, etc and should get additional information.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:26 AM

I will be doing the same trip this weekend & plan to work in Jerome as well. I was originally going to go to Flagstaff & the Watputki area but the cold & snow has scared me off. For specifics, search Sedona as mentioned.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, but as I stated in my original post, I have searched the board (for Sedona) and have not found any post that talks about what are the best activities to fit in in one day. That's what I'm looking for --- what's the best, easy hike for scenery? How long will it take? Should we bother to spend time in Sedona itself, or is there not much to see there. If anyone has done a one-day trip to Sedona, and could share their intenary, that's more what I'm looking for.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 05:18 PM

sedona is a wonderful day trip, i've been there a lot but i never seem to pay attention to the names of restaurants, i take a look inside look at the menu and go for it. there is plenty of hiking among the red rocks. i recommend you get a copy of moon's arizona handbook. it will give you specifics. there are lots of shops but they sell alot of the same stuff, still nice to look at, not that i've done it but the pink jeep tours seem popular with folks on this board and i have to admit they are cute!
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 06:28 PM

Sedona is an easy day-trip from Phoenix. The time I went, the drive (which was very beautiful) took about 75 minutes. Stop at the visitors'center in town when you get there and they can give you maps and plenty of info on hiking, mountain biking, etc. They can also direct you to the best spots to watch the sunset, as well as restaurants.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:28 PM
emd

I know many of the hundreds of hikes in Sedona area. I go 3 to 4 times a year just to hike there. I just got back tonight from 4 days of hiking there.
But you need to tell us a few things.
What is your activity level? Can you do an easy hike (meaning a walk, flat w/no elevation), or can everyone in your party do a moderate hike, meaning some elevation (you will have to put one foot in front of the other going up and may get winded if you are in poor shape)?
And how long are you willing to devote to the hike?
Do you have hiking boots or are you hiking in athletic shoes?
Do you just want the "ooh, ahh" factor, or are you wanting something more personal in your hiking experience? Do you mind being where other touriss are, or would you rather get out w/more solitude?
And a really important question, what day of the week will this be?
I can think of several hikes to recommend for a day trip, and restaurants for a nice meal afterwards w/ sunset, but give me the above info.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:56 PM
emd

Also, would you rather hike "up" for the sweeping vistas, or "down" for the cooler, more tree covered and more lush canyon hikes (which still have great red rock views, but not the sweeping mesa vistas)?
It can be quite warm and sunny even this time of year while hiking the upper vista hikes. Everyone would need a hat for those hikes, and water is a must for any hike, no matter what time of year, even now.
I think it is nice you want to hike, even though your trip is just for a day. Many people opt for the jeep tours. Not that those are bad (although they certainly broke into any solitude I hoped to have on my 7 a.m. hike on Sunday- 8 jeeps went right by me in a 3 hr hike at Broken Arrow) but hiking is so much better, IMO.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

emd ---
I would say we need an easy to moderate hike. It's me, my sister, and mother. We are not experienced hikers, but we all exercise semi-regularly. We will be going on a Saturday, and now I'm looking into spending the night so we have more time in Sedona. Even with just a day, I can see spending 2-3 hours on a hike, and then going somewhere to see the sunset and then eat dinner. We won't be bothered if there are other tourists along the hike -- in fact, I think being completely alone out there might make me a little nervous (bonified big-city person)
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM
emd

It's a great idea to spend the night. You won't be sorry you did. I stayed in the Village of Oak Creek this time and really liked it (about 5 miles before you get to Sedona, but it is also in the red rocks, just less crowded and less tourists there, and the smaller hotels there are less $$ and a better value IMO)). Aside from the outdoor beauty, there is great shopping in Sedona of every sort if you are interested. I brought back some incredible hand woven items and jewelry (my weak spots in Sedona) and even managed to fit in some time at the good small outlet store area in the Village of Oak Creek. And there is a nice but small "big screen" theater in the Village of Oak Creek where they show first run movies- I saw "Hotel Rwanda" there last Sat. night and they were also showing "Return to Neverland". There is a great little restaurant in Village of Oak Creek that has live light jazz piano on Friday nights if you end up going on a Friday instead of Sat.
Morning is a wonderful time in that area. The red rocks look so different then, and it is really the best time for a second short hike before you get in the car if you can fit that in...
Let me think about the hikes to suggest now that I have that info. I want to be sure to give you hikes that have well marked trails, and although you did not specifically say so my guess is it will be in athletic shoes. On a Sat. in spring it's going to be crowded by noon- some trailheads will have no parking available, so it would be good to get an early start from Phoenix. If I was you, I'd be in the car on the way to Sedona by 7 a.m., get there at 9, and be hiking by 10. I'll give you a few hikes to choose from, then you can go online and learn more about them, and also you can stop at the ranger's station or tourist office and ask them about them also. You'll need to get a red rocks pass to park at any trailhead ($5 a day, available at vending machines at certain trailheads, well marked on the hwy.) I'll repost w/some hike suggestions soon. I am thinking of Devil's Bridge, out of of Dry Creek road. But I have to be sure that trailhead is still open- some trails have been closed out there recently for various reasons, as I found out when I tried to get to some of them in the last few days.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

emd---

I've made reservations to stay one night at SKy Ranch lodge. Looking forward to your hiking recommendations.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
emd

mar_76: Did you see my other post I did last night "Sedona hiking trails update- 3/05"?
You will see on that post that I explained that in order to get to the hike I would take if I was you, Devil's Bridge (trail #120), you will need to stroll a mile down the access road. The road is closed due to poor driving conditions, but the trailhead is open and this is a marked and maintained trail. If you are doing this on a Sat. in spring there will be other people doing the same thing. The one mile walk is a flat walk. Then you would enter the trailhead. The trail from start to the bridge and back is about one and one half hours at a leisurely pace (plus add in the two mile walk to and from the trailhead and your car walk to get your joints lubricated). The only part that has a rise up to the cliff is made easier by virtue of natural "steps" that the forest service has used sandstone slabs to form. Devil's Bridge is well known and you will find very cool pictures of the "bridge" itself on the internet, so search for it. You will also find directions on the internet easily (I searched for it today and found good directions), but if you need more info post back. This is an impressive and spectacular hike to a natural red rock bridge that is high and big enough to walk out on (at it's most narrow point it is 6 ft wide). And the view from the "bridge" of the surrounding area and red rocks from high up is great and invigorating.
You may want to stop at the tourist center, just to the right of the "Y" intersection of hwy 179 and 89A in Sedona (this tourist center is well marked). There you can get a map of the area and other potential hikes, and most of the staff there are local hikers. If you are staying at Sky Ranch (great idea) you will surely catch the sunset there. I had a massage from a private therapist last weekend in Sedona and she lives at the bottom of Airport road, which leads to where you are staying. She raved about the hiking around the "airport loop" area. These all start at the parking lot area on the left side of Airport Rd., and consist of the Yavapai route (a connector trail), Cococino loop, Overlook trail, and Courthouse Butte vista. I have not done those trails, but if you get info on them from the tourist office or the Park Ranger's office then you could potentially have another nice hike the morning you leave, right outside your hotel, and you wouldn't even have to drive to the trailheads. Some areas of those trails are easy to moderate, and some are harder, so get info on those before you go.
Let me know what you think of Devil's Bridge after you see it on the internet.
Also, I strongly recommend that due to the situation resulting from the recent rains, you should call or stop by the ranger's station before you head out on a hike to be sure that any particular trail is open. 520-282-4119 is the main station. Very nice and helpful rangers there.
TAKE WATER and snacks no matter where you hike and wear sunscreen and hat. I NEVER hike in Sedona without two quarts of water on me, even for a short two hour hike. Either use a backpack for the water or a tummy pack w/water bottle holders on the sides, but do not go out without water. Even moderate exertion in that climate can really drain you if you are not fully hydrated. Don't be fooled by the "beautiful weather" into feeling you don't need water.
All this talk is making me want to go back and I just got home 40 hrs ago.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:25 PM
emd

topping for mar_76
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 03:33 PM
emd

mar_76, are you out here?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:15 AM

emd, I don't know about mar_76, but I am. I'd like to ask your advice. I am going to Scottsdale next month for training but have one full day for myself so I was going to check out Sedona. I am only going to rent a car for that one day since the rest of the week will be in classes.

How do I drive from Scottsdale to Sedona? Is it an easy drive? If I leave at 7 am, will the traffic be pretty clear? What about driving back?

I'm not planning on doing hiking in Sedona since I'll be by myself. I DO want to visit some of the more spiritual energy spots and am hoping I don't have to hike to get there. Is that possible?

I'm just starting my research so I'm plugging in questions everywhere I can. Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Don't want to discourage anyone from hiking, but the Broken Arrow Pink Jeep tour is amazing. We did this in additon to hiking up Oak Creek and absolutely loved it.

I think you are smart to spend the night--Sedona is to pretty and there is too much to do to try to do it one day.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 12:45 PM
emd

Melissa: I've never driven it in the morning from Scottsdale so someone else would have to help you there.

You can hike to the Bell Rock vortex area by yourself. It's a pretty flat hike and there will be people around. There is no "set" spot for the vortex at Bell Rock, although you will see medicine wheels that people have made on the ground and areas where there are lots of little rock sculptures where people say the vortexes are.

Cathedral Rock has a vortex area, but that is a hard strenuous climb. I tred to do it myself one time and couldn't get all the way up to the saddle where the vortex supposedly is. It's steep and alot of loose rock.

Cow Pies and Mitten Ridge trails off of Schnebly Hill Rd. also have vortexes. Both are fascinating moderate hikes.

But the creme de la creme is Boynton Canyon. I have not ever felt anything in particular from the supposed vortexes, but that changed when I hiked Boynton Canyon. It's an easy trail, although it is rated moderate. What day of the week are you going? That trail goes by Enchantment Resort for the 1st mile (before breaking off into the canyon) and there are almost always people on it, and the trial is very well marked and easy to follow. You can time your hike to be sure you'll see others. Personally I would not miss that hike if you really want to get into the energy. It is the #1 hike I've ever done in my life, and I am an avid hiker. I wrote about it on some other threads in the last week, in particular the one about amzing or phenomenal travel experiences (or something like that. Just amazing.

I just find the whole outdoor environment so phenomenal there, regardless of the votex thing.

I have nothing against the jeep tours (as a matter of fact I hiked w/many jeeps last weekend on the Broken Arrow trail on Sunday morning and had a great conversation w/one of the drivers when he stopped to let the group out to take photos at the "top"- I asked him what the cost was of a one way trip back down since I was running late to get back to Phoenix to the airport- and perhaps I should have taken him up on his offer because I missed my plane). But the jeep tours are just not the same as being on the ground hiking in that place. Even horseback riding isn't the same, and I've done that also there.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

emd --- thanks so much for all of the info. I looked at the devils bridge on the internet, and it looks incredibly scenic. And your post above about Boynton Canyon is also intriguing. Since we'll be there overnight, hopefully we can do both. Thanks again, and I'll be sure to post when I get back (trip is this upcoming weekend).
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:54 PM
emd

Melissa- just find Hwy 17N (from Hwy 10 in Phoenix) and take that to Hwy 179A into Sedona (well marked exit). 2 hrs. Speed limit is 75 on 17 so you can get going pretty well.

mar_76: if you can do both Devil's Bridge and Boyton Canyon and then throw in some of the hiking around Sky Ranch, you'll be pretty charged up. Boynton Canyon gets pretty busy w/hikers by about 11 a.m. on Sat. I'd rather be on the way out by then instead of on the way in. Devil's Bridge shouldn't be to bad re crowds since you have to walk that first mile to get to the trailhead.

I envy both of you; I probably won't get back there til next fall, although maybe I'll try to get back in May before it gets too hot. Say hi to the little pile of rocks I added to the huge vortex area in Boynton Canyon.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:59 PM

oooo, thanks emd. Now I feel like I need to check out Boynton Canyon, or else! I leave Honolulu on April 1 and get into Phoenix after midnight. So technically, I am there on Saturday, April 2. I realize it sounds crazy to try and get up at the crack of dawn to drive somewhere to hike after flying, but I don't care! If the vibration at Boynton Canyon is what you say it is, then it will be worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -