Reload this Page >

security at smaller airports

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Cindy

I haven't travelled by air since September 11, and I know that security takes a long time at airports these days. I'm quite prepared to get to the airport a couple of hours early for my flight next week from Toronto to San Francisco, but the next day I travel from the Sacramento airport to Burbank, and I wonder if anyone can tell me how far in advance I ought to show up for my flight. Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:54 PM
traveller

I flew out of Burbank at Christmas time and didn't have to wait at all, but I only had carry on. The curbside guys at Burbank are really quick and helpful, though, if you do need to check. I've checked baggage at Burbank pre-9-11 and they don't really mess around - have your ticket, ID, and description of the contents of your bag ready for them. And a couple of bucks too. They're pros.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:55 PM
traveller

Never mind, I see you're flying INTO Burbank. Sorry, it's bedtime.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Cindy

Thanks anyway, though,Traveller! I will be checking bags rather than carrying them on with me; does this lengthen or shorten the security procedure?

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:07 AM
scott

I just flew out of Sacramento and security was very tight. Maybe I match a profile, but was patted down once at the xray machine and then again just before I boarded the flight. However, if you show up an hour or so before, you should be fine.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Cindy

OK, Scott, thanks! I'll aim to be there an hour ahead of time.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 10:22 AM
gail

Just flew in and out of Sacramento Friday. Friday you would have missed your flight if you arroiveed with only one hour to apare!When I returned Sat rthere was very little of a line at security.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Cindy

Thanks, Gail. I wonder if it makes a difference whether it's a weekend or not. I'm flying on Saturday around noon; I guess I should play it safe and get there with plenty of time to spare.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Gary

Cindy: I don't know how the smaller airports are going to be,but on 1-18-02(Fri.) security are going to check ALL luggage & my understanding is that most airports are ill-prepared for this,so I would show up at the airport at least two hrs. ahead.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Jackie

We learned the hard way that even if you are prepared you may be the "10%" that is randomly checked. That means they go through every piece of your luggage for that flight. We had several "families" in front of us (5-9 pieces of luggage) which made for about 45-55 minutes of extra time. Prior to this experience we had not worried.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Cindy

Thanks, everybody. I suppose the only thing I can do is try to arrive very early, and hope for the best! I truly appreciate all the responses I've had to this post.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:15 AM
ww

I would arrive at least 2 hours in advance.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Jefferson

The lines at my home airport (Lubbock) vary from 1-2 minutes to 20-30 depending on how many people are trying to fly. Our airport is mainly Southwest Airlines.