Second Alaska Trip Help

Search

Second Alaska Trip Help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second Alaska Trip Help

Hi everyone, I've decided to return to Alaska in mid-July 2006 for my 2nd trip. I'm taking a 7-day cruise from Vancouver to Seward and will have about 7 to 10 more days for independent land tour. I went to Homer, Anchorage, Talkeetna & Denali this year and missed Seward. I will be travelling solo again.

I'm trying to plan logistics to maximize time in Seward & Homer (want to do the bear-viewing trip with Emerald Air again -- it was awesome).

Tentative:
Day 1 - arrive Seward, tour SeaLife Center & do Kenali Nat'l Fjords 6 hour tour. Overnight in Seward at a B&B.

Day 2 - pick up rental car; Drive to Exit Glacier -- possibly hike to Harding Ice Field? Drive to Homer, overnight at B&B

Day 3 -- bear-viewing with Emerald Air; overnight at B&B

Day 4 -- Homer to Seward to return rental car. See more of Seward -- maybe Seavey's. Train to Anchorage ? Pick up rental car. Overnight in Anchorage B&B

Day 5 -- Drive from Anchorage to ? Last time I stayed in Talkeetna overnight & did an awesome summit flight. I'm looking for an alternative place to stay on the way to Denali NP. Overnight ?

Day 6 -- Drive to Denali NP. Overnight in Healy at a B&B.

Day 7 -- early a.m. shuttle bus to Fish Creek. Park activities (saw dog sled demo before). Overnight in Healy.

Day 8 -- drive to Anchorage & overnight. (Last time I stopped in Wasilla at the Iditarod HQ -- looking for other ideas).

Day 9 -- Explore ANC (didn't see Native HEritage Center or the Zoo last time; or any of the parks). Return rental car and fly home (flight around midnight)

My interests are wildlife & scenery; I do have an interest in the native culture as well. I stopped at Eklutna previously and highly recommend it.

Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'm trying to keep some costs down by staying at inexpensive places.

Kathy
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 03:18 PM

Not sure if you had thought about Palmer -- but the Independence State Historical Gold Mine is worth a visit - very scenic and well interpreted by the state. Not far is the Musk Ox farm - interesting animals in a beautiful setting -- we had a nice lunch at La Fiesta in town if you enjoy Mexican fare. I think you could easily do this as a day trip from Anchorage -- we enjoyed our stop there.

photos:http://www.camsoft.us/personal2/Alaska/Palmer/index.htm

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:38 AM

I second the suggestion to visit Independence Mine. There's a small transportation museum in Wasilla with information about early flight in Alaska. Did you go to the Pratt Museum in Homer on your first visit? This was one of my favorite educational spots. Great short videos about life in Alaska, including interviews with family who homesteaded in the 50s. I thought the Visitors Center in Kenai had an interesting exhibit. You would need to make a short detour on your way to/from Homer.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at staying in Palmer en route to Denali for one night instead of Talkeetna. I'm also thinking about driving one-way from Seward to Anchorage (and paying exorbitant drop-off fee) because I really want to stop along the drive. I would love to see beluga whales this time.

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 03:17 PM

Kathy, I just started planning our trip to Alaska so have many questions - what cruise line are you taking from Vancouver to Seward? Not too many posts here on Fodors re Alaska, any reading suggestions/maps which you would recommend. Many thanks, Naturegirl
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:50 AM

Your overall plan is good, but it is hardly worth staying in Palmer as it is only 45 miles from Anchorage, I would instead again stay in Talkeetna.

As for belugas, rare unless you are making several trips to the Arm. So then again I also suggest more time in Anchorage.

Request each area's visitor guide, it is one of the best ways to fine tune your travels.