Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle to San Francisco driving trip, accommodations help

Old Jan 25th, 2017, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a 3 week trip and trying to get accommodations booked so I can think about the fun and food! I am stuck on where to stay as we drive from Portland to Glen Ellen, CA; we want to stop twice overnight during that drive and spend some of that time on the southern Oregon coast.

Previous posts here lead me to stop in Bandon and Ferndale/Trinidad, but descriptions of places to stay on tripadvisor are making it hard for me to choose where to stay.

To give an idea of what we like, here is our itinerary so far:

1. Fly into SEATAC morning, drive to Sequim to Lost Mountain Lodge 2 nights.
2. Ferry to Whidbey, stay in Coupeville Anchorage Inn 1 night.
3. Drive to Seattle, 3 nights at Grand Hyatt
4. Drive to Hood River, Best Western 2 nights
5. Drive to McMinnville, Youngberg Hill Inn 2 nights
5. Back to Portland, Marriott Residence Inn/ Pearl district 3 nights (yes, I know doubling back but wanted to stay in wine country weekdays not weekend)
6. Somewhere on Oregon/Ca coast 2 nights
7. Glen Ellen, CA Gaige House 2 nights
8. San Francisco Omni 4 nights
9. Leave SFO

Thanks for any advice. Husband and I are East Coast residents, 60s and retired but fit and active.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 07:37 AM

Any interest in Redwoods? If you did have interest, my priority would be to drive as far down the coast as you can get in a day.

I would do one night in either Yachats or Newport, and one night in Trinidad. In Newport, stay at a NYE beach hotel. (Newport is a larger town with some good food options.)
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 07:39 AM

And if I remember correctly, I prefer courtyard over residence in in terms of location but could be wrong. Try to hit Portland over the weekend because the farmers market is amazing.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 09:20 AM

IN Newport I recommend the Elizabeth St Inn. It's on the ocean, includes breakfast in AM, serve free chowder in lobby around 5 and delicious cookies in the evening.
Each room has a fireplace. It's a short walk into the heart of Nye Beach where there are restaurants and shops.

If you would like to do some wine tasting, the Flying Dutchman is 8 miles north of Newport and has a lovely courtyard overlooking the ocean.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 11:04 AM

I second the Elizabeth Street Inn. That is our go to hotel in Newport. Great location, great rooms, and every room is ocean front. They have a parking garage there as well, which is nice.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Newport looks like a great choice. Is the drive from there to the Trinidad area really 6 hours, as it says on MapQuest? I don't think we would mind that if it gives us more time to look at the redwoods the next day on the way to Glen Ellen.

We have been to Muir Woods but would like to see more.

Thanks for answers!
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 01:21 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
From Portland to Sonoma you really need to stop twice in two different places rather than one place for two nights. I think Bandon and Trinidad or Ferndale are the best bets, but neither is going to give you higher-end or deluxe properties. I've stayed at the Bandon Inn once or twice and it's more than adequate.

When is this trip taking place?
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo, our trip will be the first three weeks in May. And I did expect to spend 2 nights on the way.

Bandon and Trinidad sounded like the right stops (from your earlier posts) if we wanted to make a longer trip the first day out of Portland (we would take 18 to 101 to see coast) and a quicker trip the second day to Trinidad. Doing Newport instead of Bandon sounds like the opposite of that.

Bandon Inn sounds ok (or Best Western Face Rock) but still can't figure out where to stay in Trinidad. Trinidad Bay B&B?

Thanks for all your help over the years, I always search for your posts when planning!
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 01:50 PM

In Trinidad we stayed at the Trinidad Inn. It's just outside of town. It's clean and comfortable.

Another stop along the way I recommend is just south of Crescent City. The Requa Inn is a restored Inn with a very nice restaurant. Close to the redwoods.

Up the hill from the Inn is the Klamath River Overlook- where the Klamath joins the ocean. Frequently see whales feeding down below and beautiful views.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 02:01 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Trinidad is a tiny place and your options are going to be few. I wonder if it might not just suit you to find a decent place in Arcata (which I prefer over Eureka) and call it good? Arcata is a college town that's not going to win any beauty contests (although like Eureka there are some spectacular Victorian buildings around) but it's certainly good enough for one night.

Humboldt County is still very much a working-class area (in fact take 10 minutes to explore Scotia, just south of Eureka, the next morning - a quintessential "company town.") So despite the area's natural beauty, the towns aren't much to look at for the most part.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 02:42 PM

Gardyloo's mention of the tiny town of Scotia reminded me that the historic Scotia Inn is a great place to stay.

http://thescotiainn.com/

We enjoyed our stay there, there was a restaurant for dining, and not much else going on.
The museum is interesting.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 04:16 PM

There is a very good Best Western in Garberville. Rooms are large, there is an evening reception, breakfast is generous, and there are good dining options nearby. The town has a Humboldt County feel we enjoy.

Also, there is a rather new Holiday Inn Express in Eureka that is a refreshing alternative to older properties in that town. Eureka has an interesting historic downtown and loads of Victorian houses.
HTtY
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 05:20 PM

See if this fits into your itinerary - we stayed there twice and were enchanted by the room, the location, and the price:

www.innatottercrest.com/
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 07:17 PM

Reaction Male Enhancement By deciding on Mast temper drugs as a natural male stimulant tablet you may not best increase your male organ size and electricity however will also enhance your power, electricity and stamina to carry out various lovemaking episodes. Reaction Male Enhancement This supplement may be successfully used as a natural herb for curing weakness in male organ due to excessive over masturbation and correcting the hassle of curvature and low sex pressure in men. http://www.strongtesterone.com/react...e-enhancement/
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all help - finally decided to commit to what I think are the right stops for us: reserved one night in Bandon at Bandon Inn, next night at Trinidad at the Lost Whale Inn.

I will gratefully 'pay back' by writing a trip report in June.