Seattle to Rainier-Mt. Hood-Oregon Beaches-Seattle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2023, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Here is an itinerary I came up with that covers 10 days including travel day in/out of Seattle. Let me know your thoughts.

9/12 - 9/14 - Arrive and drive to Airbnb in Kirkland - Stay 2 - 3 nights

9/14 - Day trip to Whidbey Island

9/15 - 9/18 - Drive the approx. 2:45 min to Paradise Inn at Mt. Rainier - Stay 3 nights. 2 full days = Skyline Hike, Tips Lake, Paradise Picnic Area, Nisqually Vista Trail, Christine Falls, Sunrise & White River, Carbon River & Mowich Lake

9/18 - Drive from Paradise Inn to Hood River - Stay 1 or 2 nights (thoughts?). Columbia River Gorge, Multnomah Falls)

9/19 - 9/20 - Drive Hood River to Astoria (3 hrs) with stops at Cannon, Manzanita Beaches. 1 or 2 nights?

9/21 - Drive Astoria to Seattle; overnight near SeaTac

9/22 - Fight home to Austin

What you all think? 1 or 2 nights in Astoria or split it between Cannon Beach and Astoria? ALSO, one or two nights in the Hood/Columbia Gorge area?

Any other issues you can see. If you have accommodation recommendations that would be awesome.

Thanks everyone,

Charli
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the United States Forum and tagged for Washington and Oregon
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 03:37 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I think it's okay but see below. Do you already have space booked at Paradise? If not, that's job no. 1.

I'm a big fan of the Columbia Gorge and Hood River/Mount Hood area, so I'd opt for two nights at Hood River, otherwise with one night you're not going to have anywhere near enough time, given you'd be departing Mount Rainier the morning of the 18th but not arriving in the Gorge area until sometime that afternoon. The Stevens Canyon Road - incredibly scenic - is closed for construction Mon-Fri, and the 18th is a Monday, so you'll have to go via Longview and Portland, which can be trafficky and time consuming. I much prefer the eastern approach to the Gorge - via Yakima and Maryhill, but that will be hard to manage with Stevens Canyon closed.

If you stay two nights at Hood River, does that mean you'll be limited to one night on the coast? Seems like a lot of driving for minimal benefit.

It pains me to say it, but with these kind of time constraints, I'd probably be tempted to skip the Gorge and just head out to the coast. (This would even be more advisable if it's hot and/or smoky in the Gorge - you'll be traveling at the peak of the fire season. I'd suggest coming back to the Gorge in the spring, when the waterfalls will be full, the Hood River Valley in bloom, and the traffic and crowds minimal. More time on the coast is never a bad thing - visit Cape Disappointment, the Willapa Bay National Wildlife Refuge, and other low-key attractions in the area.

Old Jul 16th, 2023, 03:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is there a reason you want to stay in Kirkland for 3 nights at the start of the trip? I've worked there in the past and it's a nice area but hardly convenient for what most people want to see and do on a short visit to Seattle. That really subtracts a lot of days from a 10 day trip without going anywhere ??

Where are you going to Whidbey Island? That's a pretty broad statement.

for the Oregon Coast part, everyone online mentions Cannon Beach but there are other great locations like Yachats and others towns and stops along the coast.

Gardyloo is much better at details like this. Just adding I simply think you could trim down a bit for seeing a few less places but in a more relaxed and enjoyable way.
suze, in seattle
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Suggestions are great!

Hi. Thanks for these insights.
My husband and I have visited Seattle many times but now we are thinking of relocating there next year. So we are doing a bit of reconnaissance around difference areas. Hence, the Kirkland area.
Fortunately, I do have reservations for 3 nights at Paradise Inn (15th - 18th) and I did try and lose a day in Kirkland but Paradise Inn (our first stop after Kirkland) couldn't accommodate my change in schedule. This was the reason for the day trip to Whidbey. I could even change our number of nights to one in Kirkland but not sure how we will spend our time before we head to Mt. Rainier. I'll take any suggestions knowing that our nights in Paradise are set in stone at the moment.

I think the idea of leaving out the Gorge makes a lot of sense. I love the idea of spending more time on the coast.
Sometimes, it just takes others to say something (like the wildfire situation) that makes so much sense. Once can get overwhelmed with choices. So thanks Suze and Gardyloo! I am all about the roads less traveled so I will check out some other locales on the coast. Feel free to throw out some "don't miss" these spots.

Thanks,
Charli
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 09:52 PM

I like the Washington coast. Towns such as Westport, Grayland, Tokeland, Ocean Shores, Long Beach to name a few.

There are different areas of Kirkland. Some, like along the lake front are high-end. Other parts are more just regular residential suburbs. Cute small main street area with some shops and restaurants.

Again, welcome!
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 07:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
When leaving Hood River enroute to Cannon Beach or Seaside, go south on OR Rt. 35 on the east side of Mt. Hood. Rt. 35 intersects US 26 which you will take all the way to US 101 between CB and Seaside. Please don't take US 30 out of Portland! I consider it to be unsafe with far too many trucks with blind corners and hills. Enjoy watching the wind surfers on the Columbia River at Hood River.
Old Jul 24th, 2023, 02:52 PM

Why do you want to stay in Kirkland 3 nights, but only 1 night on Whidbey? Oh sorry, I see you already explained above