Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle relocation to 1201 First Ave--Any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 03:30 PM
Sheila

Hello, all. We will be living in the Harbor Steps apartment complex at 1201 First Ave. We were wondering if this is a good location and were looking for input on the following:
--any suggestions for routing the commute to Microsoft in Redmond? How long do you think it will take?
--any good moderately-priced restaurants in the area?
--suggestions for general fun and relaxation within walking distance?

Many thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Ron

1201 1st Ave is in the heart of downtown Seattle. You should figure about 45 minutes to commute to Microsoft's Redmond campus. Get on I-5 NB to SR 520 EB and follow it all the way it. It will dump you right into Mr. Gate's kingdom.

Problems: the trip across the SR520 bridge (floating bridge) can be dicey in the winter wind/rain. Also, all it takes is one stalled car to really screw up the commute since the bridge is only two lanes each way.

Restautants? You name it, but my favorite is Wild Ginger (3rd & Pike) but don't expect to find moderately priced eateries downtown, other than Cheesecake Factory. You want moderate, head out to the burbs instead of downtown.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 09:50 PM
xxx

Your commute won't be pleasant, especially during winter stormy weather. Like a previous poster said, the bridge can get really backed up and there's not many options on other ways of getting to Microsoft. So just be prepared to spend a lot of time on that bridge.

Since you're not opposed to spending big bucks for rent, why not reconsider and relocate to Kirkland? There are some great lake front units and you're on the same side as the Microsoft campus. Kirkland is a fun city and offers a great lifestyle.

As for a less expensive, but good restaurant, check out Noodle Ranch in Belltown.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Don

The Harbor Steps are far enough south that you might consider taking the I-90 floating bridge across Lake Washington and then heading north on 148th Avenue to get to Microsoft. (The main campus is on either side of 156th Avenue, which parallels 148th, between 28th St. and 40th St. The Redmond West campus is a little farther north on 148th--just north of 51st St.)

Don't know whether this would be faster, slower, or the same as using the 520 bridge, but it's probably worth comparing traffic and time-wise.

If you're not averse to walking as much as 20-25 minutes each way, Harbor Steps will put you within walking distance of Pike Place Market, Safeco Field (when it's baseball season), the Seattle Art Museum, Pioneer Square, the International District, lots of downtown shopping, and the Bainbridge Island Ferry. There's lots going on downtown, although it's typically pricey.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 11:15 PM
Don

Oh, about restaurants--here's a link to a Seattle Weekly (free weekly) list of its 100 favorite Seattle restaurants:

http://www.seattleweekly.com/feature...apsules1.shtml

You can probably find some places in this list that are reasonably close to Harbor Steps. You might even find a moderately priced one. Hope this helps...

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 09:37 AM
sheila

Thank you so much for all of your help! I have one more question:

--what about ride-sharing or buses to Microsoft from Downtown? Any ideas?

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Terry

You can check out this site for both bus connections and carpool information. Why are you staying in downtown Seattle, and for how long?

http://transit.metrokc.gov/

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 02:01 PM
John

Sound Transit, the new regional transport agency, has weekday bus service (No. 545/546) direct from downtown Seattle (4th Ave - three blocks from you) to Microsoft; takes around 40 min. in the morning, around 50 in the evening. Probably way faster than driving.

There are undoubtedly van pools and employee carpools serving the two destinations. If driving, I would absolutely use I-90 across the water, then north on 148th Avenue, instead of the I-5/SR520 yoga, which is now virtually a standstill most mornings.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 02:32 PM
sheri

NEVER TAKE 520! I commuting to Microsoft from West Seattle for nearly three years and unless it's the middle of the night, I-90 is *always* a better bet.

While there might be fewer moderate eateries downtown, it's incorrect to say that the Cheesecake Factory is the only one. Someone already mentioned one of my favorite cheap eats, Noodle Ranch, and if you like basic, authentic Mexican, El Puerco Lloron (on the Pike Place Market Hillclimb) is great.

You'll be right across the street from the Art Museum so you should consider joining so you can go often (they have some neat film series). Benaroya Hall (our new symphony hall) is a few blocks away, as is the Market. The commute will definitely be a drag, but if you enjoy urban living, you'll be right in the center of things.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 07:09 PM
Sheila

Wow. You all are fantastic for helping me out like this! Any more suggestions?

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:08 PM
karie

lucky, lucky you! I love that area. I have two words..."Wild Ginger"! My new favorite restaurant in the world. Literally!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 02:07 PM
wendy

Sheila there are MANY reasonably priced restaurants near you! Lush life, McCormick and Schmidts (best happy hour menu!), Marcos, Mama's, Noodle Ranch, etc. You will love the area. Even though the commute will be bad I would never live on the Eastside again. Downtown is way more fun!!