Seattle-Portland RV Trip

Search

Seattle-Portland RV Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle-Portland RV Trip

We are planning a trip in our RV to Seattle/Portland area. What are the key sights that we should not miss in that area? Since we need to get to Bainbridge Island (our son is attending a wedding there) should we camp at Fay Bainbridge or at the private campground there?
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Just realized how vague I was regarding our trip. We (my husband and son) will be travelling from Chicago around the end of July. Our goal is to arrive on Bainbridge Island no later than 8/1/15.
Key questions - should we get to Bainbridge Island first then see Seattle area or vice versa? What are the key sites? Not really interested in shopping malls, more like quaint towns, nature areas, wineries. Any routes that can be suggested to get the most out of our trip?
We plan to leave Seattle area and then head to Portland area. Again, looking for campgrounds (private or state/national forests?). Planning to be on road at least 2 weeks maybe 3 weeks. Any information greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 12:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
When you want to leave Chicagoland in July depends on what you want to visit between there and Seattle.
Check the size of your RV for the ferry fare to Bainbridge Island. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/fares/
Do you want to take a detour over to see Mt. Rainier or Mt. St. Helens on the way to Portland?
The way west is I-90 all the way. Coming back from Portland it's I-84 into Utah and then I-80 Through Cheyenne WY.
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Tom, thanks for the quick reply. Would love to see Mt. Rainer or Mt. St. Helens if it doesn't take 2 days to get there. I would also like to know if there are plenty of campgrounds along the route.
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 04:15 PM

The campground that I'm familiar with is just west of the South entrance of Mt. Rainier along US 12. The campground is called La Wis Wis. I worked on a PIT project there in 2012. The campground is along the Cowlitz River.
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

We are still contemplating our route as we have taken I-90 out West before. Any thoughts on taking US Route 2? We may be taking I-94 to I-29 to Route 2 then that to Seattle. We have never gone through ND or Idaho before so thought that we could possibly to that route. Of course this is all speculation as we are trying to figure out timing.
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 09:13 AM

I had you a bit confused with Clousie (post 9).
I don't think you would like US 2 all the way across North Dakota. Consider taking I-94 through Dickinson and then US 85 north to Williston to get on US 2. Take US 2 if you want to see Glacier NP.
Leaving Whitefish, you will take US 2 all the way to Spokane.
West of Spokane, it's your choice whether you take US 2 off I-90 or continue on I-90 to Ellensburg to get on I-82 to Yakima to get on US 12 to get to Mt. Rainier. The US 2 route will take you through Wenatchee and Leavenworth.
Leavenworth is well worth the stop for an hour or two or even overnight.
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 11:18 AM

The drive over highway 2 is beautiful, IMO. We head over to Leavenworth often and love the entire area. The town is a faux Bavarian town, but very well done. Just in the last couple of years even, many unique stores and restaurants have opened, so it isn't all Bavarian themed. The best part of it though is the natural beauty of the area. So much to see, and fantastic hiking, etc.