Seattle/Oregon Coast/Portland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are taking a one week vacation, flying into Seattle and out of Portland. Want to take in one day of Seattle, a couple days down the coast and back up to Portland/Gorge area? Looking for recommedations for this itinerary. Sites to see along the way south of Seattle, also which key cities to stay in on the coast. Boyfriend insists on rafting..... but the last week in March? Where? Brrrr. I'm more into shopping and the arts. I guess we'll compromise. What about some romantic restaurants? Would like lodging to be reasonably priced and with character and charm. Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 03:11 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Forget rafting. Rivers way too cold and/or in flood stage.

I'd highball it from Seattle to Portland and enjoy both cities a bit more. In the time frame, if you want to hit the Oregon coast, Cannon Beach on the N. coast probably has the most going for it regarding scenery, shopping, stormwatching, etc.

For fun and interesting/arty accommodations, check out the Kennedy School and the Edgefield, both fascinating properties developed by the McMenamin Bros. - www.mcmenamins.com
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 04:54 PM

I second the recommendation for the McMenamins Edgefield in Portland (Troutdale, actually). It's on the western part of the gorge, so you could start/end your day of touring the gorge there. Cannon Beach is an easy drive from Portland also and a nice place to visit. Seaside to the north is more of a "family beach town", Cannon Beach more artsy.

Shopping: don't miss Saturday Market Saturday mornings under the Burnside Bridge downtown. The MAX train (free downtown in fareless square) has a stop right in the middle of it.

Hotels downtown: Hotel Vintage Plaza is a nice botique hotel. If you do Priceline and bid for a 4-star hotel downtown, you might get the Vintage Plaza (or the 5th Ave Suites) for a good price - or some other nice 4-star hotel if you are really on a budget. See BiddingForTravel.com .

In Portland also, don't miss Washington Park, though the Rose Test Garden won't be in bloom in March. Something different: Mt. Tabor park in SE Portland. An inactive volcano (not like you could tell), a neat park.

And bridges: Portland has lots of 'em, all different varieties, if you're into them at all. Take a walk around the Portland waterfront to see many of them. But don't miss the St. Johns Bridge - a beautiful suspension bridge - about six miles to the NW of downtown on highway 30. It reminds some of the Golden Gate bridge, just green and a little smaller.

Andrew
Portland, OR

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 02:32 PM

You have gotten great advice, I just wanted to let you know that the last week in March (2003) is spring break for Oregon. Things will be busier so make reservations before you come so you have a place to stay. I wouldn't say it is swamped - just busier, I don't want to scare you.

Rafting - haha

Seaside might be fun but do not go during spring break. Hundreds of high school students - literally.

The gorge is beautiful with lots of hikes and maybe it will rain on you so it will seem like you are rafting ..... ok maybe not but do expect rain though not very cold.

Rafting - haha

Mt St. Helens is fantastic if you come down I-5. Well worth part of day. Also the Japanese garden would be pretty - probably azaleas will be blooming.

Astoria is a fun town - not really on the coast but might be a fun place to start your coastal tour.

The McMenamin properties would probably be good for you too.

Rafting - haha!!

Enjoy!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 04:18 PM

Seattle-

Great city, depends on what your interests are. Definatly go to the Pike Place Market downtown and spend a couple of hours there. If you like seafood the Oysters are good at Emmett Watson's which is just across the street from the Market. The Space Needle is pretty cool, and you can take the Monorail downtown. Pike Pub & Brewery has good beer, and the Art Museum is also very nice. If you're into it, GameWorks downtown is a really cool arcade. Definitely check out Mount Rainier south of Seattle, but only if you're traveling later (at least June) in the year. The Last Supper Club is probably the best club in town if you're into dancing. Also lots of good music in Seattle. Let me know your interests and I can give you some more recomendations.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:16 PM

On the Oregon Coast, stay in Canon Beach, which is an artsy town with a beautiful beach. Take a day to drive the Three Capes Loop trail from Tillamook. Walk a sand dune; hike at Cape Lookout State Park. It's awesome. Also, visit Ecola State Park. Go to Indian Beach at the park and hike into the forest above the picnic area, and down through the tide pools in the other direction. You may be able to go kayaking instead of rafting while on the coast. Like everyone is saying, rafting ha ha ha.
BE SURE TO TAKE YOUR WARM CLOTHES TO THE COAST!!! We've had an unusually dry winter in Seattle/Portland, but it's beginning to rain a lot.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:38 PM

A great place to stay on the Washington coast is Simmodd Fantasy Cabins in Greyland. (www.fantasycabins.net) They have themed cabins such as The Jungle Treehouse, Shipwreck at Taboo Lagoon, and Goldie Locks and the 300 Bears. My mom, sister, and I stayed in the Treehouse cabin and had a great time, plus it's close to the beach. If you're looking for something fun and intresting this is the place!
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 10:51 AM
MEA

Portland:
For shopping, check out NW 23rd area. Unique! Papa Haydn's (on NW 23rd) for fabulous desserts.
And if you like bookstores, don't miss Powells on Burnside.
If the weather is clear (you never know!), consider the Japanese Gardens (see SaraLM) in Washington Park. The gardens and the view of downtown Portland and Mt Hood are really something.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. Still trying to convince my man that there's no way we're going to be able to raft! By the way, what's the temp like along the coast these days? What about inland/Portland and also Seattle? Is Mt.St Helen's worth stopping by? How long will it take to drive from Seattle to Cannon Beach? Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:15 PM

It will be darn cold on the coast. This morning it was 39deg in seattle. Bring your warm clothes no matter when you come. usually muich cooler near the water. You can walk from downtown seattle to Pike place market or the waterfront and you will notice a big change in temp. Raining a fair bit these days. Reconsider your rafting. There is so much to do in Seattle and 1 days is not going to be enough.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Figure 5 hrs from Seattle to Cannon Beach. Add up to 3 hours for a detour into Mt St Helens visitor centers.

Hi temps in the 50s, lows high 30s to 40s, not a lot of difference between coast and Seattle/Portland, although windier and potentially stormy every other day on the coast. Rain everywhere. But March can be very changeable.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:42 PM

Mt. St. Helens is worth it if the weather is decent so you can see the crater, but allow an entire day, if you do this. There are three entrances, but the best intro entrance is off of I-5 at Cougar. (less than 1 hour north of Portland) There are three National Park Visitors Centers worth spending time in on the way up, plus walks on trails to illustrate the points made in each visitors center. Plan a picnic lunch if you go, at the new lake formed below the second visitors center (the one on the returning flora). Also, I hear the Weyerhauser Center is worth visiting, but we've not had the time to go there.
Portland is about 1 1/2 hours from Canon Beach; 3 from Seattle. Inland from Portland, the Columbia River Gorge is lovely with nice hikes to falls. (especially the trail just after Multnomah Falls to upper and lower Horsetail Falls). The Mt. Hood loop, takes you through the gorge and up and over Mt. Hood. If you do this, skip Horsetail falls, but visit shorter paths to falls, and be sure to go to Timberline Lodge and spend some time enjoying the displays and presentations there. This loop is also a day trip from Portland. Again, best when clear. Low clouds (ie fog) can obscure everything, but you'll likely have sunny skies mixed with clouds.
You're going to have too much to do and you'll have to pick and choose. Come rafting on the Deschutes River in August, when the sky is blue, blue, blue (dare I say, deeper than Carolina blue?); the canyon red and stark, with birds soaring overhead; and the water cool and running fast, but safely. It is another day trip, though, from Portland.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 03:25 PM

I second the idea for St. Helens. If anything, stop by the Visitor Center on your way to Portland. It's actually quite fascinating and it will only take an hour or so.

Seattle has great shopping downtown - some cute boutiques on First Ave.

You could take a Ferry to one of the Islands and get a great view of the Seattle skyline on your way back.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:02 PM
RAR

Don't miss the Gorge, Multnomah falls, and the Seattle Art Museum. The drive along the Oregon coast is nice too, many a pretty bridge.