Seattle - newby questions

Old Apr 20th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle - newby questions

Looking at a possible trip to Seattle this summer, perhaps in July. We had to cancel our one and only planned trip there previously.

The Homewood Suites on Pike (near the convention center), looks ok for a family. Any experience there or with the area? Yelp has mixed reviews (when doesn't it), but the neighborhood seems safe.

Am I correct that the monorail doesn't stop between the two ends? Also, I read somewhere that it is better to stay near the south end, hence the hotel above.

We are up for walking a lot, and the hotel doesn't seem too far from the market area. Is the downtown area relatively safe, or are there areas to watch out for?

We would likely train/tram in from SEA, unless you advise differently.

I need to do some additional resources on nearby excursions, perhaps by ferry, but if you have some thoughts on that, please let me know. Or any other thoughts/brilliance. Thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 09:04 AM

The location is perfectly safe but kind of busy---it is right by the freeway and a busy street (Boren ) runs alongside. It is 9-10 blocks to the Pike Place Market---downhill going, uphill returning. The Momorail terminal is at 6th and Pine so much closer. And you are correct; the monorail makes no intermediate stops.

I would be happier someplace west of the freeway, in the area between 4 th and 8 th streets, if you see anything you like. Maybe the Hyatt at Olive and 8th if not too pricy. The Max has a great location but the rooms are small. The Andra a few blocks north is very nice. Mayflower Park is an older hotel with a loyal following.

The light rail from the airport serves all these hotels--ride it to the last stop at Westlake Center. The Homewood Suites would be farther from here than the others.

Downtown Seattle is quite safe to walk around, but many like to avoid 1st and 2d avenues in Belltown late at night.
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you enzian. That's very helpful. I'll look at some of the other hotels. Prices start to climb, though, and we need space or a suite for 4 of us.
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 09:46 AM

You can walk on to the Bainbridge Island ferry from the Seattle waterfront and have lunch in Winslow. For something more expensive but probably worth it, try a Clipper Vacations overnight or day trip (also from Seattle waterfront) to the San Juan Islands for whale watching. Those are two options without a car. Seattle has a lot of interesting little neighborhoods, like Fremont/Ballard, Capitol Hill, etc. that you can use transit or taxis to visit for a lunch and stroll. Seattle Center offers several museums and sites for visitors, so check out that website for a list and to find out what's happening the dates you are in town.

With a car, the possibilities are many (Woodinville wine country, Snoqualmie Falls, Skagit Valley, etc.). It would help to know more about your interests before making suggestions. Since you are taking rail from the airport, I am assuming you won't be renting a car.
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks voyager. We don't know yet about the car. I prefer not to have one in a bigger city, but maybe get one for a special day or overnight trip. We'll see.

Interests are varied: We would hit the market, EMF and science museum. Maybe an art museum or similar (haven't gotten that far). Kids are teens and tweens and prefer to "do" stuff rather than see stuff so need to balance it out.
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 03:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hi Bitter, Thanks for mentioning this post in The Lounge. I live in Seattle, on Capitol Hill.

Agreeing with the above the 'problem' with that hotel is it's a bit far east within downtown and wedged in practically on the I-5 freeway.

You don't need a car for what you describe doing in Seattle.

Yes the monorail runs start to finish, one track, between the Seattle Center/Space Needle and into downtown near Westlake Center.
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 03:19 PM

You'd use LightRail from SeaTac airport to downtown. $2.75 per person. It's easy. Depending on where you end up getting a hotel might need a taxi at the end, or not.

There's plenty of homeless people around but no place particularly unsafe in downtown Seattle.

Have you looked at Silver Cloud Broadway or Lake Union?
Mediterranean Inn or Marqueen on Queen Anne?
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 04:40 PM

Lake Union Silver Cloud got rave reviews from someone who was just here for a college visit. That is a nice location, might be accessed by the trolley? I will have to check on that. If so, the trolley will take you right nears Weatlake Plaza (2 blocks away) for the monorail and rest of your activities.

The Science and History museum has a newlocationnon Lake Union and is supposed to be great. There is kayaking on the lake---I think you can still rent from Moss Bay rowing center whichnis nearby.
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 04:55 PM

Here's a map of the South Lake Union Trolley route:

http://www.seattlestreetcar.org/imag...view%20Map.pdf

The trolley was designed to serve the new development in this area, including the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Institute, where the trolly line ends.

The Silver Cloudnis just past the terminus----about where the "N" of Fairciew Avenue Northnis written. There is a small boat marina across the street.
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 05:48 PM

Homewood Suites is a good choice all around.

HTtY
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 08:44 PM

If I were coming to Seattle with teenagers, I'd go to the Olympic Sculpture Garden rather than the Seattle Art Museum. You may also want to look into the Chihuly Glass Museum at Seattle Center, since you'll be there anyway. It's not cheap but is unique and had gotten good reviews from everyone I know who has gone. And the Underground Tour may be really fun for them, too - interesting history of Seattle with just enough mildly dirty jokes to keep everyone on their toes.
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 10:00 PM

I don't think I'd spend money on tickets for kids to Chihuly. But it is amazing if you like glass art, and convenient given your interest in EMP. The kids would definitely enjoy the collections cafe, although that may be a little bit spends. Wasn't sure if by science museum you meant the science/industry mentioned above, the pacific science center or scifi museum that is connected to EMP: I haven't been to the first, second is only good for young kids or when the special exhibit is on, but I definitely recommend the scifi museum. Even my friends/family who don't care for museums enjoy that one!

If your kids enjoy animals, I recommend the zoo, but confess that I've never tried to ride the bus there, so you'd want to look at that first. If you make it to Vancouver BC, the kids would defintely enjoy the aquarium which is much better than the Seattle aquarium.

Second the underground tour; also good for all ages and is sort of "active" way to get into seattle history.

I think Homewood Suites isn't in a "bad" location. But I prefer NO hills at the end of the day, and I think Seattle center area is very convenient/attractive if you have younger kids with you, so I'd recommend those hotels over the rest. Have you checked prices at La Quinta- seattle center? Stayed there last night, and really liked it for the price. Only negative is that their parking is free (not the bad part) and it should have occurred to me that that is because they can't guarantee it, very small garage. I arrived late and had to park on the street which is NOT my preference. Still, clean, updated and had comfy beds as well as great water pressure Staying at the Travelodge tonight and...better location, but not as updated and the hallway has a distinctly funky smell. Oh well, lucky to find an affordable room downtown at all on short notice.

Which brings me to my next point- if you are considering this trip, and you find a place on your price point, make that reservation asap. July is very, very popular. Prices will not go down, and complete sell outs happen frequently- the hotels know that, and as availability goes down, prices shoot up.

Also- not terribly convenient, but you may get more bang for your buck out at seatac if you need a suite. The light rail is very convenient to get to downtown, but it adds an hour of traveling in the morning and at night. For some people, the cheaper rates are worth the extra time commuting- I often suggest that to friends who have sticker shock at hotel prices. I do it myself when I don't want to pay parking downtown. You don't need, or want a car in Seattle when you are just doing the tourist thing.

If you need a fun day trip, I wouldn't even suggest driving (unless you are hikers). Victoria clipper is a good suggestion. Friday Harbor would also be fun. Closer to home: if you take the water taxi over to West Seattle, you can bike or play over there and eat at Saltys for lunch/dinner. It's a relaxing and fairly cheap outing.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I'll run with some of these suggestions and will likely be back.

Regarding Chihuly, the pictures I saw looked good, BUT unfortunately I've been to a number of medium sized city art museums in the midwest that have a Chihuly exhibit. Kind of overdone or overrated at this point.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Apparently, I was referring to the Pacific Science Center (near the needle). Didn't realize there was another (Mohai). Thanks.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 07:42 AM

The Pacific Science Center is excellent. They have a temporary exhibit on Pompeii that we want to see, before deciding if we want to visit the real thing next time we are in Italy. Unfortunately it ends May 25 so you won't be able to see it.

The Olympic Sculpture Park down on the waterfront is great on a nice day ( and itnis free). We love to walk our dog there.

I agree with you on Chihuly----skip the museum. There are some nice glass pieces you can see for free on the 2d floor of the City Center building between 5th and 6th at Pike. The ground floor has some eateries for grab-and -go--a soup place, sandwich place, and (no surprise) the ubiquitous Starbucks.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 10:27 AM

Chihuly would be WAY low on my list of to-dos in a short Seattle visit (disclaimer, I've yet to go there myself -haha).
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 03:07 PM

I was reluctant to go to Chihuly myself but I had an out of state friend visit who wanted to see it. I grew up in the PNW and I'm not really into glass art to begin with- I also saw the exhibit when it was in Boston. But surprisingly, I did think it was worth the money. In my opinion, it's almost more about the space than the art. Loved the garden space at night, very well done.

Grossology is the exhibit at pacific science this summer. The kids should love that! They've started to promote it by wall stick ons of gross body facts in the bathrooms The Pompeii exhibit was fantastic, btw, glad I got to go before it left!
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

mouse, I saw the Pompeii exhibit advertised and am sorry I t won't be there later in the summer. Glad you made it!
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Following up. WE have 7 days on the ground. Again, traveling with teen/tweens who are active. I think we can accomplish a lot in downtown Seattle in 3 days, and the flight museum and some more distant attractions in 4. Wondering what to do for another 2-3 days. Hiking would be nice.

A couple people have strongly encouraged Victoria Island, but that seems like a bit of a chore, and the prime attraction, Butchart gardens, would likely have limited appeal to my kids (and maybe me).

Other perhaps outdoor ideas, but more local to Seattle?
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 08:05 AM

Not sure if you are asking for day trips or overnights, but here is a list of both: You could spend a night or two on Whidbey Island...it has Deception Pass and other state parks to walk/hike in, little waterfront towns of Langely and Coupeville to putter in. This can also be done as a day trip loop, coming in the north end from Highway 20 and exiting by ferry from Clinton on the south end or the opposite. This late you will have a hard time with reservations anywhere, but give it a try. Mt. Rainier is a great destination for a day trip or longer (probably need to leave very early in the day). There is Leavenworth (check on-line for info) in the Cascades, and also the Methow Valley, which is very pretty and offers fishing, hiking, biking, etc. Snoqualmie Falls is another destination; ask your hotel or look online for advice on hiking trails within 60 or so minutes of Seattle...there are several options off 1-90. Take the ferry (walk-on) to Bainbridge Island and have lunch in Winslow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -