Reload this Page >

Seattle Inexpensive Downtown Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Judy

I'm looking for a centrally located inexpensive hotel in Seattle. I have a wedding on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend that is being held ion a boat in Puget Sound.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 06:43 PM
janis

You don't say what you think is "inexpensive" - but last week I stayed at the Claremont on 4th Ave at $79 double including continenmtal breakfast. It is very nice and has a great locatiomn 1 1/2 blocks from the Monorail, etc. I got that rate using www.seattlesupersaver.com

I got that site from a query on this board and it had several hotels to choose from.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Don

Judy, You won't be able to take advantage of the site that Janis mentioned--those rates are only good until mid-April. (It's an annual promotion to encourage people to come to Seattle during the rainier months.)

However, if I were you, I'd try getting a hotel via Priceline. See http://www.BiddingForTravel.com for info on how to use Priceline to snag a good deal on a hotel.

People using Priceline have regularly gotten 4* hotels in downtown Seattle (hotels like the Sheraton, Westin, W, Hotel Monaco, and Hotel Vintage Park) for prices in the $50-$75 range, plus taxes and the $5.95/room Priceline fee for a winning bid; and 3* hotels were even lower. If you look at the Washington-Seattle topic on the Web site mentioned above, you can see specific reports on the prices people have gotten.

Be sure to note that there's no guarantee you'd get any of the specific hotels listed--it's always possible Priceline will have added or dropped hotels by the time you make your bid.

If you decide to use Priceline, be sure to read the Hotel FAQs on the BiddingForTravel.com Web site to understand how to come up with a reasonable opening bid and how to use free rebids to maximize your chances of success. Also, be sure to use a bonus money link on that site to access Priceline--it'll save you $5/night (up to a $15 maximum on a multinight stay).

Usual disclaimers apply--no vested interest in your using Priceline or the Web site mentioned above, you can't pick a specific hotel with Priceline (just a star-rating and a Priceline zone), no guarantee you'll match previous winning bids (although it's also possible you can beat them), yadda, yadda.

If you're into music, be sure to spend an extra day here Labor Day weekend and go to Bumbershoot--it's a cheap, cheap way to experience all the music you can imagine. Something for everybody. And have a great time at the wedding--sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy!

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Leslie

I called the Seattle Supersaver hotline yesterday and was told that they would post new listings probably in April. Is this incorrect?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 09:32 AM
janis

As I understood it - but maybe Don has better info - the SuperSaver site has rooms year round, but are done seasonally. For instance rooms are listed now for up to April. Then they will post rooms for the summer, then for the Fall, and so on. My guess is that summer rates would be higher than what I got in Jan/Feb.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Don

I wasn't aware they offered hotels year-round on the Supersaver site. If they do, it's likely the rates would be lowest in the winter, higher in spring and fall, and highest in summer. That's just a guess, though.

It might be worth it to Judy to call the Supersaver number and see if they can tell her what rates would be available for Labor Day (if the Supersaver people know that already) or wait until whenever the Supersaver site is updated with room rates for the period that includes Labor Day weekend.

If she wants to go ahead and get something now, I'd still recommend that she consider Priceline.

Sorry if my ignorance about the Supersaver site caused any confusion.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Wendy

topping for Judy