Reload this Page >

Seattle in late July--early August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 03:02 PM
LD

Any info regarding Seattle during this time?
Hotels, attractions, weather etc.?

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 03:08 PM
john doerper

Dear LL:

You couldn't pick a worse time for visiting Seattle. It's SEAFAIR season, and the town will be packed. You may or may not be able to find a hotel room.

The weather may be hot, and when it's hot in Seattle, it's miserable. If you're planning to escape to the hinterland, you'll find the Cascade Mountain trails and the waters of Puget Sound and the Islands packed with Seattleites escaping from the city.

Good luck

J.D.

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 06:26 PM
Cheryl Z.

Hi L.D., well, having lived here for nearly 30 years, I personally don't think it's as bad as the above msg, but do agree that hotels will be full. There's lots of tourists here, yes, but not any worse than any other nice city in the summer. It can get hot, but hot here is 85 or so, very seldom gets in the 90's. And the lakes, rivers etc. are busy with the locals too enjoying them. Seafair doesn't last long, and there's lots of other things to do. It probably won't rain, often will be dry for weeks at a time during summer (at which time I start praying for some rain,just a little, after a week or so!) If you do want to avoid the busy tourist seasn, try end of Sept. maybe. A hotel we always recommend is the Edgewater down on the waterfront. Great view, Northwest ambience, easy to get to places. I'd be happy to give you other info if you do decide to try Seattle.

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 10:18 PM
Sleepless in Seattle

The first poster missed the mark. July and August is the best time to visit Seattle weatherwise. It is very seldom hotter than the 80's and the possibility of rain is less during these months. Rather than worry about the crowds, you can join in the fun and have a great time. Accomodations will be a little tight but I am sure you can find something. Try using Travel Web ( www.travelweb.com/index.html ) to check hotel rates and availability. Often there are rooms available through them and the rates are usually better.

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 12:03 PM
John

I think the first respondant thought you were looking to MOVE to Seattle...if so, all of the bad things mentioned are true.

If you're just coming for a visit, it's a great time of year because the weather is a little more dependable, and I think Seafair offers some great entertainment opportunities. Much of what downtown Seattle has to offer can be seen on foot and if you are driving out of town to see attractions, just remember to allow extra time for traffic (especially since there is a lot of freeway construction planned for this summer) seattle.sidewalk.com is a great source for activities, restaurants, etc.

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 01:22 PM
Gigi

Hi, the weather here now is about 65 in the morning and about 75 in the afternoon. I agree, this is a great time to visit the Northwest. It is cooler than just about everywhere else in the country and we don't get as much rain at this time. Pike Place market is fun to walk through and you might like to visit the aquarium. Or, my favorite, on down the pier you can take a ferry to Victoria, B.C. for about 65.00 per person and spend a fun day zipping all around the Island on a mini-bike, or visit the beautiful Buchardt gardens. Another idea would be to spend a day in Seattle, then rent a car and drive to Mount Rainier and go hiking. It is really beautiful this time of year too because all of the wildflowers are in bloom.