Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle -- I really tried to like it but just didn't

Dec 17th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Rachel

Maybe it was the bad weather (which we fully expected by going in December) but my husband and I just got back from 4 days in Seattle and, although it wasn't really bad, it wasn't all that great either.

My husband had to go up for business so we decided to make a weekend out of it. We stayed at the W Hotel, in downtown Seattle. The hotel was very nice, with a very hip bar area. The location was great. We did all the usual attractions, like the Underground Tour (probably the most entertaining thing we did), Pike Place Market and the Space Needle.

The Space Needle was hugely overrated and overpriced. Ditto for Pike Place Market. We walked around the Fremont area a little -- it's a cute area but the "antique" stores are all junk. Restaurants were fine but nothing very special that you can't find elsewhere. The rain prevented us from visiting the putlying areas.

Just thought I'd offer my two cents.

Dec 17th, 2001, 10:01 AM
xxx

To put it all in perspective, can you fill us in on where you're from and what you were expecting to see?

December was a bad month to give Seattle a visit. Personally, it's one of my favorite US cities to visit. It's big enough to have a lot to choose from, but not so big that it's tough to get around. And I love being next to the water in a big city. Also close to mountains and so much scenery.

Dec 17th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Curious

I don' think Seattle is known for good weather, so that should really not be part of a bad review...what did you expect? If the hotel was good, the restaurants were good, the people were nice, what more do you want?

Dec 17th, 2001, 11:18 AM
GiveMeA

I think this is a classic example of IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING GOOD TO SAY,KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT...or something like that~she liked the hotel,the food wasn't bad, it rained(surprise-you are in Washington!)...but she just felt compelled to write about how she just didn't like it........

Dec 17th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Cheryl Z.

Rachel, as a Seattleite, I hope you will come back another time. There's so much more than what you experienced. And not only as mentioned above, the weather in Dec. is not condusive to some sightseeing (actually today is incredibly clear and beautiful though!), it's not the prime time for Pike Place Market either or even the Space Needle. (I do agree the Space Needle is overpriced, but it's comparable to other overpriced touristy attractions in other cities -not that that makes it ok!)

Dec 17th, 2001, 01:05 PM
EmeraldCity

Why should we be concerned if Rachel loved our beloved Emerald City? If she doesn't like it, it's her choice. Really no need to encourage picky, opinionated visitors. The food, hotel, ect. were up to her standards and yet that wasn't enough. WHat is Rachel's idea of a great city worth visiting?

Dec 17th, 2001, 01:07 PM
E.

I've been to Seattle several times, and my feeling is that the city itself offers limited thrills for the seasoned traveller. The real attraction for me are all the outdoor activities within easy driving distance of the city; Snoqualmie is very very cool. When I was visiting from Texas I was grateful for all the fun Pacific Rim-style restaurants in Seattle. I have also very much enjoyed the Seattle Film Festival, especially the Secret Festival. And, finally, I have to add that the weather in Seattle in May and June is gorgeous--sunny, not hot, just great.

Dec 17th, 2001, 01:50 PM
kam

Live in the Bay area, would never visit Seattle in December for a holiday. Love Seattle--a wonderful city to spend a long weekend. Just for your information, the weather in SF was probably similar so you wouldn't have liked us either! Try again in Spring or Summer.

Dec 17th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Traveler

Visited Seattle in January one year, it was so cold, wet, roads were slick..I had the BEST TIME~ everyone was nice, the places we ate were very good, the service was great.It isn't always about the weather or the sightseeing, it can be about the atmosphere and the people that you meet along the way...and Seattle was full of great atmosphere and some really cool people!

Dec 17th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Dan

I didn't care for Seattle. Not much history and a bunch of transplanted Southern Californians. City fely dirty too, lots of runaways and panhandlers with dogs. I like Portland better.

Dec 17th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Mikey

Seattle is alot like Denver. Both cities are well-liked for their easy access to recreation. Seattle has the water, mountains, islands, etc while Denver has the Rocky Mountains and skiing/hiking, etc. Having lived in Denver and visited Seattle I would condsider them both mediocre cities at best if not for the recreational opportunities nearby.

Dec 17th, 2001, 04:21 PM
abc

I went to Portland once, couldn't leave the hotel, there was so much ice...boring city,bunch of numbskulls walking around,couldn't wait to get out of there and back to the North East ..had to go to Southern Cal..bored to tears, everyone driving around in convertibles so that we might better see them, sitting at outdoor cafes so that we might better see them, talking about themselves all night in restaurants so that we might better know them...could not wait to get back to the NorthEast...

Dec 17th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Rainy

Just as well - Seattle has too many dang people moving here anyway. Glad to hear some people want to stay away! :0) And December is very rainy! Better than snow anyday in my opinion! I also have to say most of the best stuff is not right downtown!