Seattle-how to find "neighborhood" store just to buy drinks, milk etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be staying at Silver Cloud-Broadway 4-5 days. Due to medical condition need high fluid intake everyday...Juices ,diet drinks, milk--
Since flying and not renting a car- can't take stuff with me(usually load up my trunk with needed items) I have no problem walking or taking buses to other areas.
Any suggestions?
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:08 AM

1ST the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to businesses within 5 miles: so not only would they know wheere the nearest grocery store is, they would be able to take you.

2nd there is a Safeway located on E Madison 98112 zipcode which is nearby. Safeway does offer delivery, so that may be another option if you are not up to lugging fluids around.
wwwsafeway.com offers a site to browse and order from.

BTW you could sign up for the Safeway discount card onsite and that will give you discounts on Club items sales.

Last, there used to be a QFC on Broadway which you could take a cab too about 5 minutes away.

TAke care..
Old May 8th, 2010, 09:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There's a QFC at 1401 Broadway, across the street and just 3 blocks from your hotel. There's a second QFC location further north at 417 Broadway East which I like a little better (bigger store) but it's quite a bit further from your hotel, but you could catch a Metro bus up Broadway.

OR heading out (east) on Madison... Madison Market (a coop on 16th Ave) the fabulous Trader Joes (17th), and further on the Safeway (22nd) as mentioned above. These are all right on the #11 bus line or the first two walking distance.
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Google is always your friend. You can go to Google Maps and put in your location, then select Search Nearby, type in Grocery, and you'll get the locations of nearby stores.

Copy and paste the following into http://maps.google.com/ and you'll see:

grocery loc: 1100 Broadway, Seattle, WA 98122

This can be done for restaurants, post office, library, etc.
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

What great info--much appreciated.
The google site is very helpful..
I also found similar info on Map Quest..
Thanks again
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:10 AM

In case you aren't familiar with them, Trader Joes is a great store! You could pick up snacks for your hotel room, nuts, trail mix, crackers or cookies, dried fruit, etc. & ready-to-go lunches (salads & sandwiches) as well. It's a fun store.
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

QFC was a great find, grocery,Deli. bakery and Starbucks..It was 2 blocks from my hotel..
shutlle took me to Traders Joe's(have one in my hometown) and I walked back with out any problem. Weather was beautiful...
First Hill (this what they call Silver Cloud area) seems to be undergoing an "upsurge" --3 blocks down Broadway and over one to 10th. The New home of Elliott Bay Books, formerly in Pioneer Square. Owner said -,business falling--too many homeless in streets, rent went up. Got a good deal on a "warehouse" which they have gutted and are making it their own...The cafe opens soon.
great bookstore...
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 06:56 AM

Thanks for checking back in with us. Glad everything worked out! Yes QFC is a good chain. As is TJ's. Yes First Hill and Capitol Hill (next district to the north) is continually undergoing growth and development. We're excited about Elliott Bay moving in, especially since we recently lost Bailey Coy (a long time independent bookseller).
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 09:58 AM

When I passed the Silver Cloud a few days ago, I noticed a sign promoting a new restaurant in the space formerly occupied by the disappointing Cayenne restaurant.

HTTY
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:16 PM

Txs traveler24. It is so very nice when a OP takes time to f/u.

I used to work on First Hill (at Virginia Mason) long time ago and lived on Capital HIll (Roy Street) when I firt started out in Healthcare.

So intersested to hear about Elliott Bay Books, will be coming for my annual visit home (real trees, fresh air, mountains and water!!!) 4th of July & will check it out.

Hope all is ok w/you Traveler24.