Reload this Page >

Seattle hotel discounts

Search

Seattle hotel discounts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 09:44 AM
Brian Kilgore

Seattle hotel discounts

www.seattlesupersaver.com is the web address for a site with information on hotel discounts in Seattle.
I have nothing to do with this project, and have not been in Seattle for years, but it's a nice place, and the reductions seem substantial. They cover quite a range of hotels.
BAK

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 02:54 PM
John

Dear Brian:
What you say may be true. But do they pay you a commission to steer customers their way?
Personally, I would never ever stay again in Seattle on any kind of a discount: the hotels do it, but don't like it, and the staff tends to treat you like second rate citizens.

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 07:50 AM
sheri

The Seattle Supersaver site is run by the Seattle Convention and Visitors Bureau, and they don't pay commissions so it's unlikely Brian was motivated by the thought of profit. The discounts are only valid in the off-season (through March 31) and are subject to availability.

John, your take on discounts is interesting. It sounds like you had a bad experience. It doesn't jive with what people here in the Seattle hotel industry tell me, however. In the bleak mid-winter, they are happy to fill rooms at the discounted rates--that's why they offer them! Besides, other than the front desk, no one on the staff knows you're there on a discount!

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 09:00 AM
xx

Dear Sheri:
Sorry. John is right. I have stopped using discount travel services to make my hotel reservations, since I know I have been discriminated against more than once by taking advantage of discount range. I have even overheard a front desk person tell a bus boy, "Don't mind her. She's a discount traveler."
Even wher there was no firect snobbism, I have felt the pain of dicount rates in the quality of the room I was assigned. It was usually the shabbiest (a couple of weeks before rnnovation, or the noisiest (right above the trashcans which were emptied at five in the morning, or one overlooking a construction site.
No thanks. I'm through with discounts. I prefer payingfull rates and be treated like a princess.
Lucy

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 10:29 AM
sheri

Wow, Lucy, your experiences are unfortunate. I travel a LOT and rarely pay full price for hotels (I usually use AAA or promotional rates offered by a hotel), and can't think of one time anything like that has happened to me. Have you tried speaking up to a manager? My feeling is, if the hotel is going to offer a discount rate in order to get your business, then they should provide the same service that they do to everyone. I'm not shy about speaking up if the service isn't up to snuff (bad service is my pet travel peeve!).

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 02:57 PM
Cheryl Z.

hmmmmmm, we travel ALOT and ALWAYS try to take advantage of some discount and have NEVER been treated shabbily, usually just the opposite. We were recently treated like gold on Oahu using the Entertainment card. We use a variety of discounts available - Entertainment card, AARP, AAA, various credit card or airline travel desks etc., whatever.

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 05:47 PM
Brian Kilgore

For anyone curious about my posting; I was looking through the news releases in the Businesswire web site,and came across the release. It was issued by the tourist board / hotel association, and was aimed at travel editors of newspapers and magazines.
I just passed on the info, cutting out the newspaper editors.
As for poor treatment when travelling at discounted rates; the most popular travellers in hotels are business people, and most of them are travelling at discounted rates. I spent the better part of a decade spending two or three nights a week in hotels, almost always on some kind of discount deal, and never noticed lousy service because of this. And when I did not have a pre-arrival discounts,I've negotiated plenty while standing at the front desk,and still got a warm welcome.
So, if you're going to Seattle, at least look at the web site, and see if there's a good deal at a hotel that sounds attractive.
BAK