seattle hotel choices narrowed to 4

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My love and I will be taking a midweek Seattle vacation next week. This is our urban transfusion from our lovely home in the San Juan Islands. We prefer large rooms/bath, comforable beds, luxury without "crazy $$$..", good people, not noisy, parking. Studying Fodors and the talk postings, here are my narrowed choices: Elliot Grand Hyatt Hotel, Inn at Harbor Steps, Fairmont Olympic Seattle,and (although I really don't know except some postings), Hotel Andra.
Your input is appreciated. The issue of construction around the Inn at Harbor Steps concerns me--I want to be able to walk out into the city-some construction dodging is okay.
Also restaurant choices besides: I have dined @ Cascadia and Dahlia Lounge.

Happy Winter Holidays.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 02:22 PM

Do you have an Entertainment Book, the Fairmony Olympic is offering rooms right now starting at $225/night.. It sounds like a marvelous property, Seattle's only five-star hotel for 21 consecutive years.

www.fairmont.com is the website. We'll probably stay at the Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver, also this summer. Enjoy Seattle! The Flying Fish was excellent on our last visit.

We also enjoyed Salty's on Alki Beach for the coconut prawns and gorgeous views. ***kim***
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 10:44 AM
lovingheart

I've never stayed there, but I often see Summerfield Suites by Wyndam mentioned on this site for it's location (beyond the Convention Center on Pike), large suites, and price. I find it on www.seattlesupersaver.com for $116 next mid-week.

Old Dec 24th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Do a search here for the Grand Hyatt. I stayed there recently and wasn't thrilled- others have felt the same and this was talked about in a recent thread. Have you checked Tripadvisor for the Andra?
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

thank yo for you advice. I did do futher thread reading. I just made reservations at Hotel Andra. For sure will do Oliver's Martini Bar in the Mayflower and the Cinerama, (movie dependent). Heard the chef from Cafe Juanita on PRN's Weekday yesterday--would dine there, but the traffic getting to the east side deters me.

Happy winter holidays to all reading this.
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 09:35 AM
ita

I thought I posted this yesterday but I can't find it. I am planning in staying at the Inn at Harbor Steps in February. In what ways will the construction affect my stay? Is it bad enought to consider a different hotel?
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:01 PM
ita

which location is closer to Pike's Market and art gallery-Hotel Andras and Inn at Harbor Steps?
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:10 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It's the Pike Market. The Inn at Harbor Steps is the closer of the hotels to the market and the museum.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:38 PM

HI Gardyloo! How far is the PPM from the Fairmont Olympic? The reservation clerk said a five minute walk, correct?

They don't have a hotel shuttle at the Fairmont like they do at the Edgewater. ***kim***
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:57 PM

7 blocks from the Olympic main entrance to the main arcade in the market. No shuttles. Five minutes sounds like you're making all the lights; 10 is easy.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:17 PM

I think the Edgewater was closer than that, isn't it? We were dropped off by the shuttle, but it seemed like a really quick ride. It was nice to not have to search for a parking place in the three days we were there. ***kim***
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:48 PM

thedesk- If you do ever get a chance to stay on the eastside (maybe at the Willow Lodge) definately eat at Juanita Cafe. Chef Holly Smith is amazing, I love that place but sadly don't get over there very often as the commute also deters me.

Hope you had a nice visit. Please tell us about your stay at the Andrea and where you chose to eat at.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Gardylo- Actually isn't it the Pike Place Market?

ita- Harbor Steps is closer by a tiny bit, and much closer for SAM and the various art galleries towards Pioneer Square. Hotel Andra is 4 blocks east of the Market (being on 4th and The Market is just below 1st).

kim- if you were on foot the Edgewater would not seem as close to the Market!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:41 PM

thedesk54- what about The Sorrento Hotel?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Yes, suze, it is the Pike Place Market. I have a postcard right in front of me. It is also called Pike Place Public Market according to the postcard. In the future I may start referring to it as the PPPM!

Wish I was there right now! ***kim***
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:53 PM

kim, well thanks for clarifying that. but actually in Seattle it is usually just called "The Market".
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:37 PM

And of course everyone knows what you're speaking of! BTW suze, which hotel is closer to "the market", The Fairmont or the Edgewater? ***kim***
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Kim- Edgewater is about 8 blocks from the north-most end of The Market, Fairmont Olynpic is about 6 blocks from the south-most end. Depending how you count The Market itself is about 4 blocks in length.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:17 PM

Thanks, suze! I find it rather odd that a property as nice as the Fairmont wouldn't offer a hotel shuttle service. That is one BIG plus for the Edgewater. ***kim***
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:23 PM

Pike Market, Pike Place Market, Seattle Public Market, The Market, Pike Place Market PDA, Pike Place Market National Historic District... all fine.

The only "Pike's" Market I could find whilst googling was in rural Maine.

The buses in downtown Seattle are free, and while east-west links are reasonably crummy, they exist, thereby removing the need for shuttles. Besides, people at the Fairmont can just have their chauffeurs drop them and wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -