Seattle for a weekend with kids - Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife, and two kids, ages 5 and 2 are flying to Seattle for a long weekend August 25-28, 2006. Excluding travel time, we have two full days. We are staying in the Sheraton in Downtown Seattle.

Questions:

1. Do we need to rent a car. I would prefer to utilize public transporation if it is efficient, safe and reliable.

1A. If public transporation is good, could anyone recommend a good airport transfer company?

1B. Is Safeco Field accessible via public transportation? We are considering going to a Mariners game.

2. Any family activity suggestions. Any great parks, waterfronts, etc. with kid activities?

3. Any good restaraunts that are good for kids and adults. When we travel, we usually find that the restaraunts suggested in travel guides are often not kid friendly. In addition, the kid friendly restaraunts sometimes are not that great for adults. Any good combinations?

4. Any free outdoor concert venues in or around our downtown that we can check out during the weekend?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:11 AM

1. If you're only here for 2 days, you don't need a car. I've never taken a Seattle bus, but the entire downtown area is a free ride zone. During the week it is all business people, so no issues. Weekends, I'm not sure what the demographics are.

1a. Take a cab. It'll cost around $40 (someone else can verify) and with your group of 4, a shuttle would cost as much. It'll also be faster/easier with luggage.

1b. You (adults) can walk from the Sheraton to Safeco field. It's a rather long/hilly walk though. Worst case, take a cab. It'll cost you less than $10 to get close enough for your young children to walk.

2. Pacific Science Center! It's part of the Seattle Center/Space Needle complex. They also have rides and other amusement activities there. Museum of Flight is not near by, otherwise I'd recommend that. The Elliott Bay waterfront is fun for everyone. It's scenic, there are shops and good eats, and there's even a carousel. Pike Place Market is also always a favorite. The Aquarium is undergoing renovation, as is Myrtle Edwards Park/Sculpture Park, so unfortunately those are out.

3. Restaurants-go to Pacific Place, a short walk from your hotel. There's a Todai (Japanese buffet) which is TERRIFIC for kids. If you adults like sushi/japanese, the food isn't bad either. Gordon Biersch is a brewery/restaurant up there, but also pretty casual. Elliott Bay waterfront has Ivar's (the walk up bar as well as restaurant) which are fun. Red Robin's (burgers) is also down there.

4. Outdoor concerts used to be on the waterfront, then down in Lake Union. I'm not sure where they've moved to now. There was some contraversy about their proposed location and I didn't follow it all the way through.

Also note that Seafair events will be under way that weekend, you might take a look to see what's on the schedule. There could be some things that your family will enjoy. Conversely there could be the parade or run that could make it difficult to navigate through downtown. Enjoy your weekend here.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Oh, the Experience Music Project is also at the Seattle Center.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Lots of the real kid friendly things are not downtown, in my opinion, but there are probably buses....This could be tiring for the kids, however, and eat into your time.

Yesterday, we were with a four year old and took him first to Ballard Locks to see the boats go through the locks, watch the salmon jumping and see the salmon going up the ladders. We also watched the short film on the locks at the Visitors Center. We stopped to go rolling down the very steep lawn - even the crazy grown-ups!

After, we ate at the place with totem poles across the street (they serve a good looking clam chowder in sour dough bread). I had their somewhat greasy but delicious fish and chips.

Then we drove further north to Golden Gardens, where we passed kids flying kites, walked by a duck pond with baby ducks and turtles, and our little guy played in the sand and water with other kids.

We missed visiting the troll and Fremont and going to Gasworks Park, which also would have been fun, on our return, as we were short on time. We did go to Pike Place for a short time and watched the fish being thrown.

We have another day planned kayaking at the Aqua Verde Cafe. We hear they have kayaks with a kiddie facing front seat in them now. You could ask about that for a 2 year old. The kayaking is near the UW, and you can kayak either towards the arboretum and greenery or go see the houseboats on Lake Union.

Another great area is Alki, with its sandy beaches and little Statue of Liberty. A little ways west of Alki is Lincoln Park, which has a forest and area with good kid climbing toys, a northwest type beack with lovely views, an Olympic size pool (maybe still saltwater) and a wading pool.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Welcome to Seattle.

I think there is plenty to do with children in the downtown area so that you won't need to rent a car. As noted, busses are free within a "ride-free" zone that encompasses most of the area. You could get very close to Safeco Field by taking a bus southbound on Fifth, Third, or First Avenue. Ask the driver if he goes near Safeco before boarding. Just make sure you don't take a First Ave. bus that is heading for West Seattle (we did that once by mistake). Again, just ask the driver.

Things to do with children: Lovesadventure's suggestion of the Pacific Science Center is excellent. This is at Seattle Center, which hopefully you can reach by monorail by then (it was supposed to up and running yesterday, but there was a glitch). You would catch the monorail at Westlake Center, just a couple of blocks from your hotel. The Science Center has lots of "hands-on" activities for small children. There are also carnival rides in another section of Seattle Center, which my children loved at that age.

The aquarium is right downtown on the waterfront, and children really enjoy it. You could combine that with an outdoor lunch at Ivar's or one of the other seafood-to-go places along the waterfront. It's customary to feed some french fries to the seagulls---they take them on the wing.

You could easily take a half-day excursion to Baiinbridge Island, a 30-minute ferry ride away. The terminal is on the waterfront at the foot of Madison St., a few blocks south of your hotel. The ferries are very large and the children can walk around the top deck with you. Great views of the waterfront, the city skyline, and Mt. Rainier. On Bainbridge, you can stroll to the waterfront park and rent a sea kayak or a "Swan boat" (probably a better choice for young children) and see a bit of the harbor there. The family-run waterfront Thai restaurant is very pleasant and child-friendly. Or you could visit the excellent deli counter at the Town and Country Market, just a block up from the waterfront park, and assemble a picnic.

I wish I could point you to a free outdoor concert, but the only ones I know occur on weekdays at noon. Hopefully someone else will post a link to the local activities guide.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Take the Duck tour...right across the street from the EMP and a convenient McDonald's. The kids will love the part where the Duck drives into Lake Union for sightseeing.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:19 AM

FREE Public Sail

Sail on a classic sailboats for a free half-hour sail around Lake Union, or ride in the 1906 Steam Launch Puffin. Arrive early to sign up as it's first-come, first-served. Call after 12N to make sure they are sailing that day. Ages 2 and up. Take a ride at the Center for Wooden Boats 2-3 pm Sundays Free sundays http://www.cwb.org/

We love the Old Curiosity shop:
http://www.yeoldecuriosityshop.com/
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You could take the #10 Metro bus to the end of the line up on 15th Avenue East on Capitol Hill, where you'll find Volunteer Park. It's a big, old, pretty city park with a branch of the art museum, a plant conservatory, water tower you can climb for the view, and kids playground and big wading pool. Along 15th there are several family style restaurants to have lunch: Olympia Pizza, Jaliscos Mexican, Jamjuree Thai, North Hill bakery, Bagel Deli (there're others but these are the most reasonably priced and kid-friendly spots).
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM

OOoops! Just noticed the kid's ages. The Duck wouldn't do anything for the two year old; we had kids as young as 5 on our Duck.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a million for the tips. Sounds like we won't rent a car will do stuff in and around downtown. With kids, we have learned that hard way that keeping it simple is best.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Another version of my suggestion above-

if you wanted to turn Volunteer Park into a picnic instead of eating out later on... just get off the bus a few blocks earlier, on 15th Ave E when you see a QFC (grocery store) on your right. They have a good deli, then walk one more block north on the same side of the street is the excellent bakery mentioned above (closed Sunday), and the park is about 3 more blocks beyond that.

The #10 bus stop is RIGHT outside the east edge of the park, runs every ~1/2 hour on weekends, so getting back to the Sheraton would be a snap.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM

The Locks and Golden Gardens are fantastic kid and adult friendly ideas. The bus ride's a bit long, though-it is easier with a car.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 04:01 PM

in addition to the excellent ideas suggested above, you might want to consider the relatively new Seattle Public Library. i believe they have a whole floor dedicated to kids. i like it just for the architecture alone.

albeit touristy, i think the restaurants along the Alaskan Way waterfront may be a good comprise with young kids; Elliott's Oyster House is a good one; then again, i've taken my boy when he was 2 to the Metropolitan Grill, and they were very accomodating

another family dining option would be Salty's on Alki Beach...great view
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Eating fish & chips on the waterfront, at a picnic table in the sun, feeding the seagulls french fries... a Seattle summer tradition!

Don't forget Woodland Park Zoo.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 03:21 PM

Thanks a million for your input.