Seattle - Can I get around w/o a car?

Oct 8th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Jean

Seattle - Can I get around w/o a car?

Flying into Seatte for a long weekend.
Didn't anticipate getting a car; I
have read the traffic is horrible.
We are staying at the Inn at the Market.
Will we be able to get around without
a car? Just want to see the sights,
Space Needle, shopping at Pioneer Square,
maybe a Bainbridge Island Ferry ride.
Also read the bus service is bad and
taxi service is limited. I am assuming
I can take a hotel shuttle from airport.
Thanks in advance.

Oct 8th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Mary Anne Cook

We were in Seattle this summer and did not find we needed a car. There is a train trolley that runs along the waterfront that makes it easy to get off at different points. It will take you from the market to a few block from Pioneer Square. There is a sky train near the space needle that will take you a short distace . They really should have a longer distance for it to travel. You can easily take shuttle service from the airport. We never needed a taxi to the places you mentioned. We did take one to catch the Victoria Clipper over to Victoria. You should have a great time. Your location at the market is very central.

Oct 8th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Don

Yes, it sounds like you could get by without a car.

Inn at the Market is just a block or two from Pike Place Market. It's also just three blocks from Westlake Center (4th and Pine), where you can catch the Monorail (the "sky train" mentioned in the previous post) to Seattle Center--home of the Space Needle, Experience Music Project, and Pacific Science Center, among other things.

If walking doesn't discourage you, Pioneer Square is probably a 20-minute walk or so from the Inn.

The Bainbridge Island Ferry leaves from Pier 52, which I think is about 7-8 blocks south and 2-3 blocks west of the Inn.

Hope this helps. Have a great time!

Oct 8th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Ladybug

Hi, Jean - My friend and I also found that we didn't need a car when spending three days in Seattle last October. We took a shuttle from the airport to our downtown hotel, were picked up at the hotel by the city-tour company, walked to Pike's Place Market, Pioneer Square, etc. Re the Space Needle, we opted to end our city-tour there (rather than having the tour bus take us directly back to the hotel), did the tourist things around the area, then took the short monorail ride back to town. A regular bus is also available, if I recall, but the monorail is right there next to the Needle and the Music Experience museum.

Have a great time; it's a very nice city that we were lucky enough to experience without rain even though it was late October. And it was chilly, but not cold.

Oct 8th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Owen O'Neill

I was there Labor day weekend and didn't feel the need for a car. I stayed about a ten minute walk from the market. Weather was pleasant and I walked to the market, to the downtown shopping area and to the Belltown . I used the Monorail when visiting EMP Museum and Seattle Center (I did not go up the Space Needle but did attend a music festival at the Center). I used a cab on repeated occasions when it was too late for the monorail or I was tired after walking and standing all day. There certainly wasn't the abundance of cabs that one finds in NYC but I never had trouble finding one.

Oct 9th, 2001, 12:09 AM
ldsant

Jean:

If you are only planning on doing what you have mentioned here then no, you won't need a car. However; cabs are very easy to get (you can call one and they'll be where you need them at the time they tell you or you can walk out on the streets downtown and get one). As far as public transportation - in the downtown area it is excellent. The only problems we have here with public transportation is trying to get across the lake from SEA-Eastside and vice-versa. BTW, not great shopping at Pioneer Square. You would definitely need a car if you're planning on going to more than the center of town on Bainbridge Island e.g., wineries, Native American museum, Bloedel reserve. Enjoy your trip here.

Oct 9th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Patrick

Driving through from Alaska, we spent a four night weekend at Inn on the Market in August. We parked our car there and never used it until we left. We are walkers, and never even used any public transportation, although we didn't go to the Space Needle because we had been there before. Enjoy the great hotel, which is in a perfect location. I highly recommend the underground tour from Pioneer Square.