Reload this Page >

Seattle and golf in May?

Search

Seattle and golf in May?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 03:55 PM
Larry

Seattle and golf in May?

My wife and I will be in Seattle in early May, we will have 3 full days to enjoy the area. I need to find out if there are any good golf courses that I could play while my wife is in seminars for days 4 & 5. Also, will it be cold? We are coming from Florida and it is already miserably hot so we will be looking for some cooler weather. Thanks

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 08:41 AM
Melinda

It will be cold compared to where you are coming from. And wet possibly. The new golf course "Newcastle Golf Course" ???? I think is the name on Cougar Mountain in Newcastle will be close and is opening May 1. It has spectacular views of all the mountains and some lakes and the city skyline. Driving way south is Gold Mountain which is a beautiful course full of tall trees etc. North is Kayak Point which my husband also plays. There are a lot of scrubby city courses closer but the really nice local courses are mostly private. You can e-mail me with more questions if you like. The Golf Club at Newcastle 's number is 425-455-0606 and they are newcastlegolf.com. It is truly a beautiful course. If you all drive out to Snoqualmie Falls there is the Jack Nicholas course going up there that is private but has such beautiful views of the falls. Have a good trip.

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 08:41 AM
Melinda

It will be cold compared to where you are coming from. And wet possibly. The new golf course "Newcastle Golf Course" ???? I think is the name on Cougar Mountain in Newcastle will be close and is opening May 1. It has spectacular views of all the mountains and some lakes and the city skyline. Driving way south is Gold Mountain which is a beautiful course full of tall trees etc. North is Kayak Point which my husband also plays. There are a lot of scrubby city courses closer but the really nice local courses are mostly private. You can e-mail me with more questions if you like. The Golf Club at Newcastle 's number is 425-455-0606 and they are newcastlegolf.com. It is truly a beautiful course. If you all drive out to Snoqualmie Falls there is the Jack Nicholas course going up there that is private but has such beautiful views of the falls. Have a good trip.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 04:31 PM
Rich

Boy, did you get lucky that I checked this thread...
What are you looking for? Are you an accomplished golfer looking for some challenge? Or are you a duffer looking for some ways to kill time cheaply? Being that you are from Florida, I would guess the former.
Unlike some other cities in NW, good golf courses around Seattle is VERY hard to find (and to get on). You usually have to drive about 1 to 2 hours to get to a really nice course (even then, most courses do not compare to great Florida courses - but they are cheaper). I would recommend these five course around Seattle area.
1. Gold Mountain (Olympic Course) - a new course that opened two years ago (36 hole complex - Cascade course is very nice as well). It is a muni, but WHAT A MUNI. Great course design and layout. A nice mixture of risk and reward. Usually in great shape. You cannot beat it for $35/round.
2. Meriwood - about 1 and 1/2 hour sout of Seattle. One of the very best layout in Washington. Awesome views. Very tough course.
3. McCormick Woods - located near Gold Mountain. Very nice layout, secluded, usally in great shape.
4. Druids Glen - New course, needs to mature, but very enjoyable. One of the few bent grass courses in Seattle.
5. Kayak Point - Actually I don't like it that much, but everyone here seem to love it. It is too narrow and WAY too many blind approach shots for my taste. Conditions are not what I call good either (barely better than a typical muni), but still a bargain at $35.

The Golf Club at Newcastle is a brand new course designed by Fred Couples and Bobb Cupp (who designed Pumpkin Ridge in Oregon). It is located within 15 minutes of downtown Seattle. It opens in May. Can't tell you much since it hasn't opened (I've seen the layout pictures and looks tough), but better be a GREAT course for $125/round.

If you want something near and cheap, West Seattle is the best of three muni courses in Seattle (however, it is very wet in winter and spring). The weather should be almost ideal in May (60 to 70 degrees, lots of sun), but can be rainy.

I hope this helps. You can more info on Seattle Times' Golf Page -
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/golf/

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 11:26 PM
Don

Larry, I haven't golfed in years and I just moved to Seattle--but I do read the local paper, which just published its Northwest Golf 1999 feature section.

Three staff golf writers were asked to pick their five favorite courses in western Washington.

All three included Gold Mountain (Olympic Course) as one of their top five. It's located in Gorst, which isn't on any of my Washingon maps. It might be on the Kitsap Peninsula (west side of Puget Sound), but that's just a guess. Call (800) 249-2363 to find out for sure. It looks like green fees are $20-$25 Mon-Fri.

Willows Run (Redmond, home of Microsoft and maybe a 20-25 minute drive east of downtown Seattle) was mentioned by two of the three writers. (425) 883-1200. Green fees appear to be $29 on Thursday and $39 on Friday.

McCormick Woods (Port Orchard, on the Kitsap Peninsula west of Seattle) was one guy's top choice. (800) 323-0130, $22 green fees Mon-Fri.

Avalon Links (Burlington), a good 90-minute haul north of Seattle, was another writer's top choice. (800) 624-0202. Green fees $28 Thursday, $36 Friday.

All of their other top-five picks were even more distant or private clubs.

This special section of the paper included a story on the new course in Newcastle (also very close to Seattle--I think probably 20-30 minutes gets you there), which is (if I recall correctly) just about to open. So it might be available to you, although I imagine it'll be tough to get a tee time because it's supposed to be spectacular. If I remember what I read, green fees on weekends will be around $125; can't recall what they'd be on weekdays. I think a previous post included a Web site for that course.

Yes, it's possible it could drizzle or even rain in early May. But we just had a stretch of six or seven days with no rain (including several days where it got into the 70s and even right around 80 one day), so you might get lucky and have a precipitation-free golf day.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and enjoy your trip. Seattle's a wonderful place (but the other locals wouldn't want me spreading that around).

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 10:03 AM
Rich

Gold Mountain is located near Bremerton. You can get there by taking a ferry from downtown, or better yet, drive there through Tacoma Narrows Bridge. It take about an hour an half from downtown Seattle.

The greens fee listed above is terribly out of date (or maybe off season midweek rates) and you may be shocked at the real prices. For example, Willows Run is $45 weekdays and $55 on weekends (I play there a lot, but its too flat and not very exciting, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are looking for something close). McCormick Woods charges about same.

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 02:40 PM
Don

Sorry for any misinformation I gave, Larry. Go with what the other guys have said since they're more familiar with or have actually played these courses. I thought the Seattle paper would have up-to-date info on green fees (after all, the special golf session was published just last week), but apparently my assumption was wrong.

Old May 4th, 1999, 06:10 PM
Rich

Thanks for all the information. I think I have enough to go on. I think I'll try the Gold Mountian, and my club pro here is trying to get me onto Sahalee? (is that spelled right?). Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old May 4th, 1999, 06:13 PM
Don

Thanks for the information. I have decided to try the Gold Mountian and Newcastle if it is open. Also my local pro here is trying to arrange to get me on Sahalee. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.