Search

Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 11:51 AM
CREANKA

Seattle

First travelling vacation I'll be taking. Live in the hamptons, so want to see something totally different in usa than the beach. Looking at Seattle. Sounds good? Is Seattle the kind of city 2 adults can arrive at without a hotel reservation in August/September (found a $178 nonstop roundtrip air NYC<->SEA)? Where could I find info on daytrip tours to MtRainier?

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 12:00 PM
stu

Don't know if I'd risk going to any city in August (vacations) or September(back to business travel) without reservations. You can always find a room, I'm sure. But why waste time trying to once you arrive?

If you want a nice hotel, check out the W. Great location, very cool rooms. About $180 per night.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Don

Here's one place that offers day trips to Mt. Rainier:

http://www.mtrainiertours.com

August might be a little iffy on hotels, but September would probably be better.

If you want to book a hotel, I'd recommend going to http://www.biddingfortravel.com and checking out the Hotel FAQs and the Seattle hotels thread. People have used Priceline to get 3* airport-area hotels for around $20-$25/night, and 3* or 4* hotels for $50-$80/night.

Of course, with Priceline you don't get to choose a specific hotel, but the potential savings might make it worth your while. Hotels in Seattle are pretty pricey in August, and the rates probably don't drop too dramatically in September.

Anyway, Seattle's a great place to visit. Have a great time!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:15 PM
ldsant

This is HIGH tourist season right now in Seattle - it's also absolutely beautiful now too! I would not leave it to "chance" to try and find a hotel room once you get here - you probably can at the airport area though. As far as daytrip tours - aren't you planning on renting a car? You can rent one from downtown or the airport and then drive to Mt. Rainier. Also, if you book a room at a hotel with a concierge, the concierge should be able to assist you as well.

As far as the W being $180 per night. . .umm. . .that must have been during the winter season - right now their rooms are running a special of $210 per night. There are a lot of hotels that are much less expensive than that.

Personally, I would also suggest that you consider a day trip to Mt. St. Helens - I think it's even more interesting than Mt. Rainier (unless you're a big hiker).

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:17 PM
phil

UMM, Idant, I guess I got a break by paying only $180 last Thursday night. My colleague who stayed on FRiday and Saturday paid the same.

But thank you for the polite phrasing.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 09:55 PM
stacey

We used Hotwire.com and got the Hilton for 119 a night. It is listed under "upscale". It was a very nice hotel located in downtown. If you like Italian go to a place called
"...Beppo". It was a great family style Italian place.