Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sears Tower Elevator Video - Is This Distasteful?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:22 PM
x

I recently returned from a trip to Chicago. while there my party went to the observation deck at the top of the Sears Tower. On the way up is a short video on a screen mounted above the door.

As you ascend the video shows the cables of the elevator car breaking and the car in an apparent free fall. Eventually you realize the car isn't falling but ascending at an uncontrolled rate, bursting through the roof of the tower, and shooting into space.

Almost everyone on the elevator car made a comment about the inappropriateness of this video.

Descending on the elevator the video show the car doors opening and a train headed towards you - it might as well have shown a plane fly towards the building.

Are we oversensitive because of 9/11 or should the Sears Tower pull this video for the foreseeable future?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:30 PM
y

Is this for real????? That is disgusting!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:44 PM
x

i'm sure it's all done in fun and not intended to offend anyone, but in these politically correct times there's someone out there who will find fault with just about anything.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Rosemary

Has anyone else seen this? We are going to Chicago for the first time in 2 weeks and the Sears Tower was on our "to-do" list but this sounds so off-putting and totally inappropriate.

Shall we just go up the Hancock Tower instead?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:49 PM
L

Lets see some proof, x. Why have we never heard about this before, x? Ciao

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:55 PM
x

I have no proof and no way I know of to proof it, hopefully someone else will verify this.

As the second "x" said, it was done in a sense of fun. And before 9/11 I can imagine that no one had a problem with this. In fact, I wouldn't have given it a second thought on September 10th.

To be more explicit. The video shows the cables breaking, what appears to be the car falling (actually ascending), then breaking through the roof and shooting into space past an astronaught and the space shuttle. Don't remember what happens next but you then hurdle back down, through the roof of the tower, and the video comes to the end as the doors open at the top of the tower).

I really found it interesting that nearly all the 20 people on board made a comment about the video - and none positive.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:57 PM
x

Argghhh! I hate when I type to fast as I always notice the typos as soon as I hit post - please excuse the "no way to proof it"...you all know what I mean.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:04 PM
x

Someone once said "fear will drive you to your own destruction"

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:07 PM
x (the second x)

There's too many x's on this board.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:16 PM
laura

It has been a few years since I went to the Sears tower, but I don't remember this.

Rosemary, about your Hancock question - Chicago friends have told me that if you have all adults in your party, skip the Sears and go to the bar at the top of the Hancock. Enjoy a drink at twilight and see the city both day and night.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:19 PM
L

Too many x's and too little proof. If you're genuine, call Sears Tower and get a number we can call to verify. Post it. That shouldn't be too difficult. In the past, trolls normally stayed under the bridge, not atop some black tower. Lets see that proof. Ciao

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:55 PM
x

Sheesh, L, if you don't believe me email [email protected] or call 1-312-875-9696 and ask. I would do this and post it but you still wouldn't believe it.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Bill

Sounds to me like another urban legend or internet hoax..

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 02:05 PM
H

L -

Good grief - there's no need to sound so pompous. www.the-skydeck.com. It's under Visitor Information - "Elevators to the Stars."

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Les

Who cares what the movie shows? What's the big deal?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 02:12 PM
x

O.K., based on the info on the website it looks like we've got another case of "much ado about nothing" on our hands.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 02:13 PM
x

Thanks so much H.

To avoid pasting copyrighted material the exact website is:

http://www.the-skydeck.com/visitor_info/index.html

Les, this falls under the same reasons why you won't see Cast Away on an airplane.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 02:13 PM
L

You're dreaming, H. Checked it out - nothing. Afraid it's just another callous urban myth (you're correct). Enough of this nonsense. Ciao

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 02:17 PM
L

Oh, you mean the harmless little NASA simulation ... what a lot of stuff about nothing. Why didn't you say so. Waste of time. Ciao

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 02:23 PM
x

I'm so sorry, I was taken in by the troll - in this case it was L@x.

I stand by the original question - is this distasteful and should the sears tower stop this presentation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -