sea sick?

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sea sick?

Very soon my husband and I are taking a trip to the gulf cost for a 36 hour fishing trip with Hubbart's Marina. I am afraid that I will become sea sick during the sleep time.
Anyone know of a product to help w/o making me feel dopey.

Also if anyone has taken this trip tell me about it.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:53 AM

Most people become seasick during awake time, not sleep time. And feeling drowsy during sleep time is a good thing. Every motion sickness medication has a side effect of making one sleepy - but people react differently to different medications.

Two most common medications are Bonine/meclizine/antivert (all the same thing) and a Dramamine product. Then there is the patch that goes behind your ear (by prescription only). Also a variety of other remedies - seaabands, ginger, etc. that people report varied results with. Whatever you bring, I would recommend trying it out at home first to see how you react - you can do a search here and read more info on individual's experiences with all of these - but no one can tell exactly how you will react to any of them.

Hope you catch some fish - just the thought of 36 hours on a boat makes me seasick!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:47 AM

I would suggest the behind the ear patches. I use these when we fish in the Gulf and on the cruise I went on in December. We do a lot of overnights offshore. If you are worried about nights only, try dramamine non-drowsy. This usually has me in & out of consciousness, but may be ok for at night. Once it starts to wear off, I am up & catching fish! (But I agree with gail to try anything first at home to see how you will react).

On our fishing trip a few weeks ago, a friend brought the wrist bands and they seemed to make her feel better. I can tell you that A LOT of seasickness is "in your head" so using any type of product will help!

I usually feel the worst in the early morning hours once I am awake. I suggest munching on crackers or nuts and gum. It always helps to calm my stomach. My worst times are when I get hungry - so make sure you don't get an empty stomach.

I have not found a pill that does not make me dopey - or utterly exhausted!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:09 AM
cd

As a previous boat owner we've had a lot of people get sick on our boat. Other then meds, if you feel like you're getting sick stay on deck rather then going down to the cabin, and keep your eyes on the horizon, and if you throw up, choose the side of the boat where the wind is at your back. Truly hope you do not get sick but have a great time.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Good advice, cd. While most people on overnight trips on my BF's boat usually want to sleep in the cabin with the A/C, I prefer the beanbag on the top in open air!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:38 AM

bring saltine crackers along and eat them plain. worked for me in the Navy except during a typhoon.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:46 AM

I am a physician and also a scubadiver prone to seasickness. About 4 years ago I discovered a prescription tablet called Scopace. It is the same drug as the Transderm Scop patch - the drug is called scopolomine. There are some distinct advantages to the tablet. First of all you can customize the dose to your individual needs. It is a 0.4 mg tablet which can be taken up to 2-3 times a day if necessary - however if things aren't bad you don't have to repeat the dose. Once the patch is on, it's on. Also the patch should be put on several hours before you actually need it, since it takes time for the drug to go thru the skin. I take a Scopace tablet just about an hour before I get on the boat. It also wears off faster than the patch once you get back on land. 1 tablet lasts 6-8 hours. Scopace is also significantly less expensive than Transderm Scop. My nurse just got a prescription for 100 filled for her family's cruise and is cost less than $40 - and she used most of them on a fairly rough 5 day Gulf cruise and were some of the few folks on the ship not sick.

The main side effect of Scopace is dry mouth and a little dilated pupils but does not leave you dopey. You do need a prescription from your doctor for it. You can get more information at www.motionsickness.net

Frankly, I'm less seasick sleeping at night than during the day. Motion sickness comes when your eyes and ears give you different feedback. Your eyes think you are stable but your inner ear senses movement - this causes nausea. When you are asleep, you get no input from your eyes so - no conflict and no nausea.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:57 AM

tigerhawk - you could be a Godsend! I'm looking into this right away!

Look out tuna!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

WOW
you all are great!

Thank you so much for the advice!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:30 AM

I've had great success with the Relief Band. It's not a medicine, so no drowsy feeling, and it works even after you're feeling naseous. The cheapest price I've been able to find it for is at www.drugstore.com for $79.99. It's much more expensive through other sites.

Susan