Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Scottsdale restaurant suggestions, please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many to choose from... we're thinking about Elements or Michael's at the Citadel (which has better food?) for one special night and need one other (preferrably Mexican or Southwestern). Roaring Fork? La Hacienda? Z'Tejas? Many varying opinions on previous posts. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Always had great luck at Mastro's Steak House, 8852 E. Pinnacle Peak Road. Enjoy!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 09:46 AM

We LOVED Cowboy Ciao
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Loved Michael's at the Citadel. We did the tasting menu and it was wonderful. I think they have special chef table nights that would be fun, but they book early. You can check their website to see dates. I highly recommend the place.
KathyH
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM

I live here. Michael's would be my choice, but not by much.

For the other night: Los Sombreros or Richardson's. (though note that Richardson's allows smoking) Both casual excellent SW food. If you want more upscale, Roaring Fork can't be beat, but is less regional SW/Mexican. Many rave about Barrio Cafe, and it's good, but not as good as Los Sombreros or Richardsons, IMO. (The wine list is certainly marked up more at Barrio.)

Do try to make reservations if you can. Not all restaurants take them anymore, and all your choices are likely to have waiting lists.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all this help!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:01 PM

jkgourmet:
Thank you so much for your comments on my restaurant, and I myself pray the whole state goes nonsmoking ASAP.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 05:04 PM

I have been to both Michael's and to elements. You can't go wrong with either one.

Michael's strikes me as more intimate as we were in a small room with a limited number of tables.

The view of the pool and Camelback Mtn. thru ceiling to floor windows at elements is pretty awesome, especially at sunset.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Mr. Richardson, I did recognize your name early in the post and commend you for not promoting your own restaurant on these forums - most people would. But it's a restaurant well worth reporting. But how I wish you'd stop the smoking in the place. Between the noise and the smoking, I've not been back in years - though the food is great and I dine out frequently. And that's a shame.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:50 AM

It's a very difficult thing to do after 20 years in business, it is coming soon I have been told. I spend 99% of my time on the European forum, and after many trips to Europe, I do understand where you are coming from, there have been many restaurants that I have walked out on because not only is there too much smoke, but gosh, get some air flow going!!! At least at Richardson's, we have many fans that really helps. I come to these forums to escape the business, and it is beyond tacky to promote business here. I do appreciate the comments, if you ever consider coming back, let me know, i'll buy. Richardson
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:37 PM

For Southwest food, we like Carlsbad Tavern, Scottsdale/Osborn Rds.....Phoenix City Grill, 16th/Bethany Home, Phx.....Sierra Bonita, 7th St./Glendale, Phx....all are casual, very busy, the last two take reservations and they are necessary as they are swamped most lunches and dinners....Phx. City Grill also does a terrific Sunday b'fast starting at 9a.m.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Mr. Richardson, what a generous offer! I've mentioned your restaurant at other sites as well, particularly chowhound, but admit I will recommend Los Sombreros more highly due to the smoke and noise issues. That I remember the food so well from so many years ago stands testament to it's quality - and the memory now makes me want to refamiliarize myself with it. And certainly your generous offer makes a drive from SE Chandler well worthwhile.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:20 PM

jkgourmet, anytime, [email protected]
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Richardsonsnm, I have to admit every time I see your screen name, I think of our governor and wonder what he's doing hanging out at Fodors!

Mr. Pickle and I will be in Scottsdale in a week or so, just for one night. I'm looking for recommendations for something, maybe a bistro-type place. Mr. Pickle will probably be happiest if the entrees are $15 or under, and we don't want Mexican - we can get that here.

Thanks for any help you all can give!

Lee Ann
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Ms. Pickle, I believe there is a French bistro called Zinc at Kierland Commons. The area is a lovely outdoor mall in north Scottsdale and I've heard it is quite authentic.

sunbum1944- After seeing your suggestion of Cowboy Ciao I made reservations for DH and his business associates who traveled to Phoenix. I thought that the Old Town Scottsdale location would be fun for newbies to the area.

They ate dinner there last night and everyone loved it. They were quite impressed with the wine menu and went so far as to call another coworker who is a wine collector at his home in Indiana to get suggestions on which wine to order.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Ms. Pickle, I've heard that Zinc Bistro is quite good - but I don't think the price range is going to tickle Mr. Pickle. (sorry - couldn't help it!) Entree's will be in the $20 range and up, with a few minor exceptions. Do you require French Bistro food - or just that 'certain atmosphere'?
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Zinc Bistro is excellent
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 01:59 PM

jkgourmet, I'm looking more for the atmosphere, I think. We might be a little flexible on the price, too, since Mr. Pickle's meals are paid for by his company.

What kind of restaurant is Cowboy Ciao?

Really, we'll eat just about anything, so I'm open to all kinds of suggestions (except Mexican, as I said before).

Lee Ann
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Cowboy Ciao is a local favorite. A bit innovative, but not weird, marvelous wine list that is not wildly marked up, an atmosphere that somehow (IMO) manages to be old west hip. I've rarely heard complaints about CC.

Zinc Bistro is very good, from what I hear - but more standard type food. Upscale suburban atmosphere that could be duplicated in any city. I've heard an occasional complaint, but not many.

My vote goes to Cowboy Ciao - but mostly because it's an original. It also has the advantage of having a wine bar next door that's very cool and worth a stop - Kasmirez.

Pricing about the same, more than the $15, but the $20-22 per entree point will be easy to meet. Can't tell you about Zinc's wine list as I've never seen it, but it's sister restaurants (Fox Restaurants) tend to keep the wine prices relatively reasonable.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Cowboy Ciao has a website www.cowboyciao.com which includes pics and a menu. Some of the entrees are pricey but there are options that are around $20-22. It is in Old Town Scottsdale area and close to the bars & nightclubs on Drinkwater if that holds any interest for after dinner people watching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -