Reload this Page >

School vacations for 2003

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Rich

Planning to visit Florida from England in June 2003, will your schools have started their vacations then?

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:37 AM
madge

Rich, school vacations in the US are not uniform throughout the country. In the northeast, most school districts have summer vacation starting the 3rd or 4th week of June. However, in Florida and several other southern states, I believe they end the school year earlier--possibly even the end of May. And even then, I don't believe it's necessarily uniform throughout the state. Hopefully someone from Florida will answer your question more specifically.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:50 AM
Randa

Depends on when in June you're going. Crowd-wise, the earlier the better. I live in South Carolina, and our school year ends May 23. If you haven't been to Florida in June before, be prepared for HOT and HUMID temperatures!

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:54 AM
Jen

My niece in West Palm Beach public schools started her summer vacation last year on May 14 and returned to school in August.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:02 PM
Kentucky ann

School teacher from Kentucky here. Our school year usually starts about Aug. 6 or so and we geet out May 12 or so (if we have to miss days for "bad weather" that will push the date back. But the school district next door to us is on a trial run with the new "year round school" meaning the summer vacation is only 6 weeks long and kids get two week breaks at the end of every quarter, and 3 weeks at Christmas. It is definitely not uniform herer from state to state or even county to county or district to district. As a rule though the schools in the southeast (if not on a year round schedule) start earlier and end earlier, definitely before the end of AMy and Memorial Weekend! I have family in the Chicago area up north, they dont't statrt unitl after Labor Day (a month later) and consequently, get out a month later around the third week of June!

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:10 PM
nina

Ours starts June 14th. I recommend you travel in May if possible, it will be less crowded and better weather, unless of course you have to wait for your children to get out of school!