Schedule changes with US Airways

Old Mar 24th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schedule changes with US Airways

This is a story with a happy ending! I posted it in the airline forum, but I realize few people will see it there.

Back in January we booked round trip travel with US AIrways from Philadelphia to Ft. Myers in May. We could have flown Frontier cheaper (which is also closer to us and cheaper and easier parking), but we weren't thrilled with their schedule. Both directions with US Air were mid day non stops that were just perfect for us. And we did have a $99 companion certificate we used bringing the price down somewhat (but not much with the way they add on the taxes and fees with those).

A few weeks ago we noticed they had cancelled the mid day flight. So now instead of flying down from 10:05AM till 12:59PM we would be flying 3:50 PM to 6:44 PM. Not as nice and we sort of miss our first afternoon and evening in Naples, but we could live with that.

Then yesteday they cancelled our return flight. Instead of returning from 2:05 PM to 4:53 PM, we would be flying from 7:35 PM to 10:10 PM, putting us home well after midnight on a work night -- no way to end a vacation!

So I called. Some hour and a half later, they finally agreed to let us change our dates. First they only said we could change to connecting flights which were just as bad or worse. Or we could return on a 6 AM flight (meaning we'd have to get up at 2 AM! When I argued the ONLY reason we booked with US Airways was because of the times of the flights which had not changed by roughly 6 hours each totally changing the scope of the vacation, finally they reconsidered and we are now going and returning 5 days later to take advantage of a Sunday return flight which is more like our original time. The whole schedule actually works better for us. And despite the fact that the prices have soared (it is over Memorial Day) since we booked in January, they did not change anything to reschedule.

Oh, by the way, they did tell us from the start that they could give us a full refund. But with current flights (with any airline) now being almost double what we originally paid, that wasn't giving us any great options.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 09:44 AM

Similar thing happened to us last year flyin to Charleston. US changed the connecting flights which took out two days from a ten day trip. They offered and we cancelled.

Then purchased the flights with Delta for £425 less.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
This just happened to us with Delta. They extended our layover from 2 to 7 hoirs and gave us all of our money back.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Yes, but both of those were getting your money back as they were willing to do. What good would that do if we paid about $400 for two tickets, but to replace them would now be nearly $800? They ended up changing our dates to accomodate us. The tickets we ended up getting would have been nearly $800 for the two of us if we were buying them now, but they didn't charge us anything, honoring the price we got back in January.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 12:40 PM

It is, as ever, called unbelievably poor customer service. Which is what most of us are faced with when dealing with airlines.

Take your money up front 9 months in advance, then reduce the price of a homogeneous product to annoy you. Then change the dates, times of the flights sometimes by 2 minutes but still send a 12 page revised document which leaves you with a huge spot the difference game.

Then increase our fuel surcharge when the world oil price has halved.

Then charge you more than the ticket price as a surcharge because you forgot to check in online 24 hours before or turned up with 12g of extra luggage.

And still be assured of your business in future because they have a monopoly on your route and avoiding their stinking airline would involve 7 connections and a 36 hour stopover in Syria.

That's airlines.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 12:40 PM

A rare victory. Savor it.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

I am, Nepheline, I am.

With USAir becoming American, it's probably my last dealing with US Airways. Hoping they don't change our August/September flights to Europe, however, using ff miles.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 02:03 PM

For the love of Amelia Airheart, there has to be a way to turn the tide and as consumers garner a little respect. The airlines holding the hammer over us has gone too far.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep and all those posts about how awful USScare really is.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 02:16 AM

Delta has done this to us many times. Sometimes the adjustment is a few minutes, sometimes it is enough to be inconvenient, usually to an earlier flight time.

It is almost as if we are being punished for planning and booking ahead!

Note: in reality, I am not paranoid, merely annoyed.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

I must admit that one time quite a few years ago, we had booked round trip travel on American to San Francisco. Afterwards, we wished we were flying into San Jose instead as we were spending the first few days with friends there. But of course, changing the flights was impossible. But then they changed our time, delaying our arrival by some 5 hours, meaning we'd be arriving into SFO very late to get to our friends at a reasonable hour. We were able to call and complain enough about this schedule change that they actually let us change our destination to San Jose (something they'd normally never let you do -- change cities). So it all worked out perfectly, thanks to their change of schedule.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
San Jose is considered "same destination" as SFO and OAK. Same with the 3 New York airports, the three Wash DC aiports, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach....Los Angeles-Burbank-Santa Ana-Long Beach and a few other "co-terminal" destinations.

In other words any change that you can make to a ticket to these destinations you can also make to their co-terminals.

For instance if you miss your connection from Chicago to Newark and they tell you the next available seat isn't until tomorrow, they will also check LaGuardia, JFK and Long Island for you if you wish.

It also works for stand-by travel on airlines that allow stand-by or same-day-changes. If you have a 4pm flight out of San Francisco and want to go standby on a noon flight...they might tell you we have nothing unless you want to go out of Oakland airport which is a co-terminal.

So yes, they generally won't let you "change cities", but some airports are considered "same city" by the airlines.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 09:59 AM

"Delta has done this to us many times"

I have just checked my emails during last year.

On our Delta trip to Charleston via Atlanta, we had seven time revisions varying from 2 minutes to 20 minutes the net result was a delay in our take off time ATL to CHS of 17 minutes.

Each variation entailed the reseeding of a 13 page document with no indication as to which detail had been altered. Just up to my wife (lawyer) to check the all documents each time.

Just silly.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Clark, that same destination for SFO and San Jose may be true now, but trust me, it wasn't back in 1995 or thereabouts when we did that.

Incidentally, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami used to count as same destination (at least with American) but several years ago they dropped that. It's hard to keep up with those things.

I can also tell you that for the purposes of FF award tickets, American would not let us fly out of one of the NYC airports and return to another, when we worked on that last year. It was no longer a possibility with roundtrips. Of course, now they are mainly doing award tickets as individual one ways, so I guess it no longer makes much difference.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 02:22 PM

I'm not sure why US Airways had the reputation Dukey mentions, as they have been doing well for many years, and have been my preferred airline for a long time.

NP: I too am dreading the switch to American, but I take a little comfort from reading that it is US Airways that is taking over American and not vice versa. I've also read that the USA's management team will be the new management at the new AA.

AA was a mess and the take over might be good, but it seems that good developments rarely happen in air travel these days.

Alitalia investor airline has made positive changes; perhaps the same will happen here.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

"but I take a little comfort from reading that it is US Airways that is taking over American and not vice versa. I've also read that the USA's management team will be the new management at the new AA."

Really? That's news to me, and not the way I understood it. Actually my preferred airline for years was American. And on this above mentioned change, it wasn't until I whined that American would make the change for me, that the U.S. Air agent finally agreed to it as well.