Search

Scenic byways

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
ljv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scenic byways

Exactly how frightening is the Going to the Sun drive for a person who has a fear of heights,especially when combined with wide open spaces?

Same question applies for the Beartooth highway.

I have been on the road to the top of Mt. Washington in NH and was pretty much white-knuckled the whole time. Also was on a byway between ouray and silverton colorado which was pretty terrifying...no guardrails,narrow,twisting roads steep drop-offs.

Are the Montana drives like the ones iI described?
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM

If you are white knuckles, it will be white knuckles. But it is so beautiful. The most beautiful place I've been. Worth the white knuckles. Go early to Going to the Sun Road, so you can spend the day on the drive. Beartooth Highway is only beige knuckles. Not as scary.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:06 AM

If you've done MT.Washington I should not be scared to do the Going to the sun road.The road is much wider and you can easily anticipate.Same for the Beartooth but here you can get snow at the top as we had in September 2002.Paul
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:12 AM

It isn't all that scary since you will be in a line of cars all the way, not speeding along on your own.

Unlike Mt Washington, it is paved all the way.

It is less exposed traveling from the East to the West, the way that Highway 101 is better south to north.

Don't try to use your brakes to control your speed. Put the car in second gear, and let the transmission hold you back on the downhill parts. Our very basic Chevy rental car never overheated on the way up and never went over 30 on the way down.

My sister hates all driving and hates mountain driving more than anything else. She enjoyed the trip.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:10 AM

Hi l,

The best way to do the Going to the Sun road is the red jammer bus tour. You don't have to worry about the driving and can enjoy the scenery.

Remember, only the frightened person can determine how frightening a road is!
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:08 PM

Neither Going To The Sun Road or the Beartooth Highway are anywhere near the white knuckle drive that is between Ouray and Silverton.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:13 PM

GNP also has a FREE shuttle which travels the entire Going To Sun.