scared flyer - need some info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason, I recently started to panic in airplanes. Tomorrow is the first time I'll be flying on a smaller lane - one 60 seater than one 30 seater. They're jets, but should i be worried about these? I've never been on anything other than a bigger plane. What can I expect? More turbulence?
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:30 AM

What to expect? I would expect a nice flight with perfect landings and no turbulence. What you will get depends in the weather conditions where you are flying. Since the aircraft is smaller it is more vulnerable to turbulance. Its a physics thing. Lager mass = more stability when a given force is applied.
Since the airlines are replaceing the 737 with regional jets for short hauls I guess we should expect a few more bumps but I wouldn't worry about it.

I fly my own aircraft and dont really notice it when I fly the airlines. They are just so much larger.
So dont worry . Might be like driving on a poorly maintained street compared to a new highway if turbulance is encountered. Keep your seatbelt fastened and enjoy the ride.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:51 AM

It certainly does seem true that the airlines are going to the regional jets. I fly Delta out of DFW and the flights that used to be MD80s now seem to be regional jets. Strange since they always seemed to pack the MD80s. Anyway, I'm with you lucienne, the little planes scare me to death. I'm NOT looking forward to it. But if its an afternoon flight, hit the bar first. That always gets my in the traveling mood!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:55 AM

Flying is BY FAR so much safer than driving! I would much rather fly to the grocery store than be on the roads with those crazies! Have a couple toddies for the flight and one in-flight - relax, sit back and enjoy!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Cassandra

I've gotten better over the years, but I've never loved flying -- not for the fear of crashing but because of sensitivity to motion. Chrisp is laudably trying to be understanding, despite being a pilot -- and I've rarely found pilots who "get" why anyone would be fearful. It certainly helps to keep flying to get over the occasional bad experience, and thank god I love traveling enough to make it worth it (and to occasionally upgrade to 1st cl. in big planes, which is GREAT).

But I admit I hate the small regional jets but can't avoid them sometimes since I don't live near a major airport like JFK, etc. Even if you do, you sometimes can't avoid them going to smaller airports.

In general, yes, you will feel the motion more and sometimes these aircraft seem to "swim" in the air and otherwise bounce in puffs of air, but it's quite possible to have a very smooth flight in them.

In addition, they are always more cramped. You might find you can't take your roll-on cabin luggage with you, and you might find that you are sitting with one foot higher than the other if you are next to the window in a curved fuselage.

HOWEVER: the Canadair is a vast improvement over a propeller plane because it can at least get up over weather. And the BAC146 is actually more stabile than the Canadair (although sometimes smaller in certain versions) because it has 4 engines on an overhead wing -- only a few people actually get a view, but the ride seems to be better. I have no experience with other types of jets, but suggest you go to www.seatguru.com to get an idea of, at least, where the best seats are for these little insect planes.

Bottom line: I try to imagine they're boats and I'm on a lake that is sometimes windy and choppy. I bring my own tapes to listen to music or comedy. And usually it's not a long flight -- although some airlines are making people take 2-3 hr. flights in them, which is cruel -- and we all should protest!

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:28 AM

In addition to the good advice already posted, call your MD, explain your fear and request some meds to calm you down while your fly.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:33 AM

I'd second Rachel's suggestion about checking with your MD about calling in a little low dose anti-anxiety medication.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:36 AM

I like the regional jets. The on/off boarding process is much quicker,no middle seats,and the flight attendants just seem nicer. It may just be me,but the turbulence has never bothered me on small jets. Look on the bright side,it will most likely be a short flight.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for giving me some feedback. The anti-anxiety drugs definitely sound right up my alley.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:04 PM
jasper

lucienne...must chime in here. i don't love flying, but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. frankly you have alot more to worry about on the ground, as someone mentioned the lunatic drivers out there. drunk drivers, speeding kids...how many of those do we hear about? too many. (don't mean to put a damper on it...) but as they say flying is the safest way to travel. also, once your in the air your safe. the plane is most vulnerable mechanical wise at take off and landing. whether i travel on business or vacation, a drink and a magazine seems to do it for me.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Dan

I flew New Orleans-Orlando on a Delta regional jet and it was fine. I thought I'd worry about the "smallness" of the aircraft but I was comfortable in the plane. Better than the little Beechcraft 19-seaters for sure!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:43 PM

Given my druthers, I'd take a regional jet over turboprops any time. If you're coming down from a larger jetliner, yeah, they're cramped. But the trip won't be particularly long, you'll probably fly over any real weather, turbulence is not much more noticeable than the large jets, and it's better than a puddle-jumper flying sideways (oh, the years shaved off my life flying prop planes in east Texas!). Low-dose tranqs are not a bad idea; a little drink before could calm you a bit too. You will be fine.

jasper is correct in stating that takeoff and landing are the "riskiest" parts of the trip, but these are short portions of the flight, and mishaps are amazingly rare. Sit back, "read" the inflight magazine and enjoy, you'll be there before you know it!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:52 PM

Hi lucienne We flew from Newark to Jacksonville Florida on a 50 seat Express Jet in March. When I saw the jet I was horrified, my husband forgot to mention it when he booked the reservations
When you get on the plane it feels small, when you sit down it feels just fine, same as the big ones.
They take off easier and faster than the big lumbering ones.
They land lightly and smoothly-unless that is just good piloting.
We took off on a cloudy day and there was hardly any turbulence, I was worried about that too..
It even seems like they go faster
The service was great also..so I think you need not worry.
I found that Xanax prescribed by my doctor works nicely for panic, which I can experience without flying! Good luck, have a great trip!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:03 PM

1/4 mg. of Xanax did the trick for me when we flew back from Maui.