Search

Savannah Summer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Savannah Summer

I'm thinking of visiting my relatives in Savannah, Georgia, during the northern summer of 2004. Any recomendations on what to see and do, and where to stay?
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 12:14 PM
GoTravel

Try and sightsee at night. If you can, stay out on Tybee Island. Savannah in the summer is very hot, very humid, and very sticky.

Old Dec 28th, 2003, 12:23 PM

I like Masters Inn a little south of the main city. The rooms are spacious and well air conditioned.

I agree, Savannah is one sticky place in the summer. Hot and humid.
If you are there during late June, all of July and August and most of September, it will be a test of your desire to see the place.
April or October are better.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 08:53 PM

I agree with the others--Savannah summers are very hot and very sticky (and I'm from the South and used to hot weather!). But, you have to visit when you can.

Two of my favorite restaurants in the world are in Savannah: The Lady and Sons and Tubby's Tank House. Tubby's is a seafood restaurant on the river, and The Lady and Sons is a great place for Southern food. (You might recognize the owner if you ever watch the Food Network--she does "Paula's Home Cooking.")

If you have time, take one of the bus tours of the city. Savannah has a lot of interesting history and the tours are usually pretty fun. You may get ideas from the tour of things you'd like to see in more detail.

(I'm not sure where you're from, and if you already know this, it's only meant in the spirit of saving you trouble--but don't touch the pretty Spanish moss that's hanging from the trees. I've seen more than one person there putting some in a bag to take home, not knowing that it's full of miniscule bugs.)
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:14 AM

We were in Savannah in August-it was hot but coming from Chicago, we expected worse. We stayed at the Savannah Bed and Breakfast Inn and really liked it. Tybee Island was a nice respite from the heat but I don't know if I'd want to stay there if you truly want to be in Savannah because it's about a 30 min. drive. We took a carriage tour which was really informative and fun.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 02:23 AM

The Olde Pinkhouse Restaurant is a must. It is not cheap but it's worth every penney. Our favorite restaurant in Savannah is Mrs. Wilkes on Jones Street. It's a southern cooking served family style. We have stayed at the Mulberry which is now a Holiday Inn. Nice hotel within walking distance of all historic sites. Other nice places would be the Hampton Inn on Bay Street. If you're interested in a B&B, we stayed at Savannah's B&B Inn over Christmas: http://www.savannahbnb.com and we had a great time there. It is only 1/2 block from the Johnny Mercer house - also known as the Jim Williams House in the movie Midnite in the Garden of Good and Evil. It's where the murder took place. I also enjoyed the Ghost Tour at night.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 04:44 AM

How's the weather in Mid-May? May be there for some sightseeing and was wondering how comfortable it would be.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 06:14 AM

mid May should be gorgeous.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 07:04 AM

Just wanted to second the recommendation for The Lady and Sons restaurant. It's delicious! Be sure to call ahead to make reservations so you can get in.

One place I would suggest staying away from is Clary's (it's mentioned in "the book"). We were treated VERY rudely there by the staff, when we weren't being ignored, and finally just left. That was our only bad experience in the whole town. Every other place we went had very nice and friendly people.

For Thanksgiving we ate at the Olde Pinke House. The food was delicious, but the price was ridiculous (and the tiniest portions I have ever seen). I have heard good things about Elizabeth's, so that might be another option for high-end dining, if you're looking for that. I will say, I think it's hard to find a bad meal in Savannah!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Savannah is a great place...We spent a great time there the latter part of June in 2003. Click my name and read my trip report for info.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:27 AM

Mikej18,

Which Ghost Tour did you take? There are several companies that offer them and I am trying to figure out which one to go on.