Savannah help needed

Search

Savannah help needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Savannah help needed

Hi. I'm going to Savannah next March - bought the tickets BEFORE I discovered the St Patricks Day thing. I was really looking forward to seeing beautiful tranquil Savannah and now I need help deciding if there is anyway I can still do that. I fly into Charleston on Thurs the 13th and plan to spend 3-4 nights there. That puts us in Savannah on Monday the 17th. I know the parade this year is Friday the 14th. So my question is - how bad will it be by Monday? Are most of the crowds there during the days before the parade? or will it still be crazy the following week? I leave from Jacksonville on Sat the 22nd so it would be possible to go to St Augustine after Charleston and back track to Savannah for the last few days (March 19-21). That does mean at least 4 extra hours of driving though so I'd only do that if it would make a significant difference. What do you think?

Anyone who lives in Savannah and can give me some advice I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Do you have your hotel arrangments yet? That would definitely make the decision for me. Rates go WAY up during the St. Patty's Day celebration.

If the rates aren't bad for the 17th on, then you'll be okay - IMO anyway. With the 17th falling on a Monday and the parade the preceding Friday, I don't think you'll experience any negative impact. Everyone else should be starting the work week and not in full party mode any more

Good luck. It's a beautiful city. Get out and about and stroll the squares. Savannah is NOT just River Street and City Market.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 09:46 AM

I checked the Hampton Inn website and one of the historic district inns had the following rates -

rates at the MLK location -

March 14/15/16 = $399/409/399
March 17/18/19 = $399/219/219
March 18/19/20 = $199

and the East Bay location has availability starting March 18th at even lower rates.

I'd probably spend a night in Beaufort on the way over and start my vacation in Savannah on the 18th.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM

We were in Savannah last winter and were warned in advance to stay away the weekend of St. Patrick's Day. (Unless our idea of a good time was joining a big drunken mob on River Street!) The photos of St. Patty's Day looks unbelievably crowded. (We ended up going MLK weekend, which was a very serene time to visit the city.)
If you arrive on Tuesday, March 18, though, I suspect you'll miss the mayhem and will be fine. The hotel rates you listed for the 18th suggest so, too.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I did check hotel prices and found the same kinds of things you did starrsville. I think we will at least wait till the 18th to get there, but that does shorten the amount of time we have in both Savannah and St. Augustine.

Anyone else who's been there (or lives there) and can describe how bad it really is (I'm definitly not into the "drink till you taste the cobblestones" scene as one thing I read described it. I wonder when the fountains are no longer full of green water.

And about how many days in each of Charleston, Savannah and St Augustine would you think would be ideal, if you didn't have to work around this problem. Thanks
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 08:26 AM

isabel, I hope that people living there full-time will chime in, but IMO the "craziness" is the parade day. I've been there for work the day before (parade day) and it was a normal day. I really would be surprised if there will be much of anything on the 17th since that falls on a Monday this year. I'd just wait til the 18th because I'm cheap and don't want to pay double for the hotel.

Really consider checking out Beaufort. Beautiful area. Lots of movies filmed there, including the Big Chill and the Prince of Tides.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 10:11 AM

We were in Savannah for St. Paddy's day two years ago and it was great! The only day that was busy was on the day itself and the Parade. We had an absolute ball. And like you, we didn't realize it would be over the holiday initially. The days prior were not busy at all, just the day itself. Took the sightseeing Trolley and did a few guided walks, it was rather quiet.

You might want to try Priceline for a less expensive hotel room, you can see prior winning bids here at biddingfortravel.com.

http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...abiddingfrm102

We stayed at the historic Ballastone with rack rates but it was well worth it as we don't know when we'll be returning. Ps, if you are interrested in haunted stuff a ghost walk is a must. The walks not only deal with the supernatural but Savannah's history as well.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. I had been reading about "six day festivals" but maybe they are making it sound like more than it really is. I am taking this trip with my sister in law, and we'll be seeing them next weekend and were planning on booking hotels, etc then, that's why I'm anxious to figure out exactly when we want to be where. I'll definitly check out Beaufort.

What's the parking situation like in Savannah. We might want to stay outside of the historic distsrict to save money. The chain hotels about 5-6 miles out are very cheap compared to those in the center.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 05:27 PM

isabel, you can save some money staying outside the historic district, but I think the experience is way more special when you don't. There's something about walking everywhere or using the shuttles ... feeling like you "live" there. I think the extra dollars are worth it to stay in the historic district!
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 08:33 PM

Isabel--this past summer we stayed at the Greene Palm Inn B&B--just off Greene Square. It was lovely but just off the beaten path--which may be just what you're looking for. The Inn was lovely and the innkeeper couldn't have been more gracious and helpful. Wonderful breakfast, afternoon wine and appetizers--cookies always available. Can't wait to go back!
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 01:10 AM

The less expensive chain hotels are in an area called Midtown - an interesting name since it is not mid to anything and certainly not a town. There are evey chain hotel imaginable in this area, which is also populated by every big box store, chain restaurant and a medium sized mall.

Safe, ugly, convenient if you drive into Historic District, and certainly much cheaper. While it has none of the character of Savannah, we have stayed there on about half our trips (2-4 times/year as son is in school in Savannah).

Whether or not you stay there is obviously one of personal preference and finances. Depending on your final decision about dates, I would not stay there and plan to drive into Historic Distric any earlier than 3/18. We have always been able to find street parking in Historic District and there are several reasonably priced public garages. You will not find parking near River Street, but a few blocks up from River, you should be able to. Just remember where you parked your car - it is easy to lose it in the maze of tiny streets.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

I'm still trying to decided exactly what we are going to do. Probably will go for the 18th and 19th and hope it's ok.

The area with the cheap hotels called "midtown" - is there a bus to the historic district from there or do you need to drive? What about the area of Abercorn St? There are several mid priced hotels there, about 3-5 miles out from the historic district? How is that area? Buses from there possible? Thanks
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Parts of Abercorn are at the beginning of "Midtown". I do not know of any buses, but will ask my son when he returns from Patriots football game. He does agree that only young drunk people should be in Savannah on 3/17.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks gail. Could you also ask him if he knows of any moderate priced motels/hotels that might be walkable from the historic district. I would think even 2 miles might be possible for us. Right now I am considering the Days Inn on Bay Street which is about $160 on the 18th and 19th (and unavailable on the 17th) and the Comfort Inn on Bay STreet which is $185 all three days. More than I want to spend, but I really want to enjoy Savannah and if I only have two days I might have to spend more. The other possibilites are on Abercorn Street - like La Quinta which is only $89 and there are several others in that same area. Any info he has to share would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 05:36 AM
OO

I would certainly stay at the Days Inn before I'd go down Abercorn to Midtown area. It would be SO much better to be able to just walk out your door into the historic district! Have you priced the two historic district Hampton Inns? I would guess they'd be more than Days Inn as they are newer and nicer, but really, you won't be in your room but to sleep, so I wouldn't hesitate to take Days Inn.

Midtown area/Abercorn is so generic Every City, USA. At least with Days Inn you are in the historic district and you won't need to use your car, a huge plus!
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM

OP - son does not know about bus that runs up Abercorn - he has a car and drives.

There really are not cheaper hotels that either of us know of walking distance to Historic district. The Historic Distric is surrounded by the Savannah River on one side and residential areas on the others.

I think the prices you are finding are a product of spring being an especially beautiful and popular time in Savannah, that week will be a school vacation week for many school districts, and Easter is at the end of the week.

Only you can decide if staying Midtown is worth the money you save. We have actually stayed at the La Quinta and as a budget hotel it is fine. Do not stay in the Days Inn Midtown, though - it is horrible. Have stayed at several other hotels in that area - nothing outstanding to detract from them other than location.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 05:06 PM

I can attest that buying your room on Priceline is a great way to go in Savannah. We did this when we went there last MLK weekend. We won the Hyatt Regency on Savannah's Riverfront for about $85 (plus taxes & fees) a night, when rooms were regularly going for twice that amount. I think we just bid on 4-star hotels in the riverfront district. The hotel was immaculate and in a perfect location for sightseeing.
BiddingForTravel.com is nice place to find out what other people are bidding on in a particular city.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Agree that trying Price line might work - but mid-January prices and availability in Savannah is going to be far different than St. Patrick's Day/Easter/spring flower time.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 04:50 AM
OO

The days immediately following a big "do", like St Patrick's Day are normally slow, even in busy seasons. I think you stand a reasonable chance of getting something in the historic district isabel. Often, however, rooms are not released to Priceline until the last moment, when it is apparent they won't fill otherwise. If you can make a cancellable reservation at the Days Inn on Bay St, I'd do so, then try for something better on Priceline starting 3 wks to a month before your trip, and keep bidding, right up to the last moment.

You are very wise to miss St Paddys, by the way. It was my least favorite day of the year when we lived there!!
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Inn at Mulberry Grove (www.innatmulberrygrove.com) is about 15 minutes north of Savannah in Port Wentworth @ I-95/Exit 109. They offer a tour shuttle package that transports you into the historic district, with the tour allowing unlimited on/off priviledges throughout the historic district, plus a return to the inn. So, you could enjoy the historic district but move in and out of there without parking worries (which are a nightmare for St. Paddy's Day festivities.) By coming on March 18th and staying a few days, you'll get to participate in the Savannah Music Festival (www.savannahmusicfestival.org) which runs March 20 - April 5, 2008.