Reload this Page >

sarsota restaurants-casual

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:23 PM
rey

we are leaving for sarasota this week. travelling with two children (10and 5) Any suggestions of good restaurants-we like seafood or italian. something casual but good. thanks

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Patrick

If the weather is warm, I'd highly recommend the Alley Cat Cafe, just off Fruitville Road, downtown in a sort of rustic garden --but pretty upscale food.
I like Cuoco Matto just north of downtown on 41, very casual and extremely well priced Italian -- family friendly. They list "lamb chops" that are really a wonderful rack of baby lamb. Out at St. Armands, Tommy Bahama is fun, and you really might want to eat at the Columbia, a branch of the very old Spanish restaurant in Tampa.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Flapida

Columbia is Cuban.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 07:19 PM
OliveOyl

This is a cut and paste from Columbia's website:

"Today, we have six locations and invite you to join us for a taste of Spain in Florida's oldest and North America's most honored Spanish restaurant."

Note the heavy reference to Spain, not Cuba. It might be in Tampa's Cuban district, but I believe the food is intended to be Spanish, not Cuban....sorry I'm certainly not up to snuff on the differences in Spanish and Cuban cuisine.

I ate at the Tampa version tonight for the first time in the 5 years we've lived here. It was a good-bye dinner for a couple who were leaving after their second "tour of duty" here, and it was their first time dining there as well. Food was mediocre, but flamenco dancers were fun to watch. I suspect the food has been better in by-gone days, and this is one of those old Tampa traditions (and I won't name the other one gt;) that refuses to die.

Have eaten at the Sarasota Columbia too and was no more impressed with their food than Tampa's. I had paella both places. Now I'm no chef and prefer spending time anywhere but in the kitchen, but even I produce a more tender, moister and more flavorful version than theirs!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Patrick

Yes, Olive Oyl is right. The Columbian is Spanish, not Cuban. I agree that their food is not necessarily great, but it is generally good, and it is a neat dining experience. Their chopped salad is wonderful, and whenever I go up to Sarasota I stop in next door to stock up on a number of bottles of their special salad dressing and recreate the salad at home -- including lots of chopped olives -- another Spanish, not Cuban thing.

PS. Hey, Olive Oyl, I never heard back how your weekend was at the new Coconut Beach Hyatt in Bonita.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 04:07 AM
g

Turtles on Siesta Key is a nice place too...also there are a couple of hamburger/bar type places with a fun atmosphere right in Siesta Village on Siesta Key...the kids might like them after watching the sunset on the beach (there are swings and jungle gym things on the beach - so you could make it a late afternoon, early evening thing)

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Flapida

Mea culpa. Must have been misled several years ago by my memory of "Cuban bread" on the table. But if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I like the restaurant.

Can someone tell us the name of the seafood restaurant on the intracoastal?

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:20 AM
buttercup

I'll second the suggestion for Siesta Key Village. Most restaurants there are casual, with some great seafood. Many also have outside dining. Also, they almost all post thier menus outside, so walk around until you see something you like. There are also two ice cream places in the Village if you want to treat the kids.

We also like Phillippi Creek Oyster Bar. The Salty Dog by Mote Aquarium was good and the kids loved watching the boats and the drawbridge. For very casual, Walt's fish market is pretty good.

We weren't impressed by Turtle's, but maybe we just hit them on a bad day.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Sherry

Bobs Boathouse is also okay, request a "table" in a boat and the kids generally like that.
As for Turtles, well I agree, its up and down. Some times good, some times pretty bad.
Not a kids place, but there is also Ophelia's, further down Midnight Pass.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Postal

Go over to Longboat Key and eat at the Colony Beach and Tennis Club. I forget the name of their restaurant on the water but it's spectacular.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:22 PM
OliveOyl

It was fantastic Patrick, really nice decor. You should drive up and take a look some time. Pool area is gorgeous! Thought their lack of a beach would be a drawback, but they have water taxis running out to a private island--takes only 15 minutes and the ride is part of the fun. Gosh that water in Estero Bay is shallow. No sailing there!

This probably doesn't belong here so I'll email you with more thoughts. It was a great weekend..and we'll be back.