Reload this Page >

Sarasota trip report

Search

Sarasota trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Fairhope

Sarasota trip report

Flew Pns to Tampa v and back on tiny Delta planes--no problems at all. Had a Dollar rental; reserved basic car and got upgraded to minivan--again no problems.
My wife's conference was at the Hyatt Sarasota. We had a standard room but it was directly over the pool and marina and had a great view. The hotel public areas and pool were upgraded in the near past but not the rooms. The bathrooms are vintage hotel and not good enough now. Kids were swimming in the pool. We had no meals other than conference food and it was average. Housekeeping was good. Their coffeemakers are onecuppers and are really bad.
It was a busy weekend in Sarasota--we attended the jazz in St Armands Circle Fri night; the art show in the same area Sat and the downtown market Sat morning--the art show was huge; the market wonderful--plants, food mostly.
Ate at and enjoyed Lido Grill (great 1/2 price happy hour inc appetizers--lobster dip with pita bread); Sangria (downtown tapas -excellent) an oriental restaurant (downtown-not thai-good menu);breakfast at First Watch(this is a very well run operation);had Whole Foods sandwiches and desserts; Siesta Key Oyster Bar SKOB( scallop salad). Personal service at all these restaurants was well above average.
Traffic was awful--too much constuction--too many condos.
An aside--the Ritz was at the other end of the marina--their pool is on the north side of the building and gets NO SUN until afternoon this time of year and was NOT used.
In summary- not a place I would return to.

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you missed my favorite reason in going to Sarasota - the great beach at Siesta Key!

But I agree that Sarasota is becomming "Ft L West" - too much time spent sitting in traffic for my tastes.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Big news in our local paper (Sarasota Heral Trib) this last weekend that the Hyatt is being sold and may be dozed to make way for more condo. development. At this point it is not known if a smaller hotel will be left intact or all condo's.
You are correct about the traffic problems. I grew up here and have seen local "leaders" ignore the inevitable growth and so we have ended up with severe transportation problems.
Regardless, I am happy that you had a good time here. Despite some problems it's still a wonderful city.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Fairhope

That idea of condos was a rumor at the conference. The hotel needs major room work. In the window area rust from the beams was visible.
One other question--does anyone wear lifejackets down there? I saw none used at the marina except a flotilla of kids on sailboats

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Lifejackets...yes if you are out in little one-man sailboats like the kids, or a PWC, but on larger boats, no one wears one, nor are they necessary unless you are in rough weather. I've never had my life jacket on on our 30' sailboat in the 8 years we've owned her, but I would never have left the dock in our little 13' Force 5 without one.