Sarasota to ??

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Karen

Sarasota to ??

Will be in Sarasota in early December to visit parents. Plan on staying for a few days then would like to go elsewhere in Florida for some private time. Anyone have any great hotel suggestions? We will not be on a tight budget. We can take or leave going to the beach; but we do like great restaurants

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:22 PM
aaaaaaaa

Head South towards Naples or Mrco Island. The weather will be a bit better than Sarasota. Although I think Sarasota & Longboat Key have some pretty ggod restaurants, We had a great meal in Naples at the Ritz.
great hotel & eating, stayed at the Hilton in Marco Island

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Ellen

There's a RC in Sarasota now but for some really beautiful beach - come over to Longboat Key or Siesta Key or Anna Maria Island. You won't be sorry!

For a really great restaurant - try Euphemia Haye - the food is marvelous pricey but marvelous - there's also Pattigeorge and Michael's on East these are some good restaurants. Another that is very laid back is Duffy's for great lunch burgers. And if you can afford it stay at The Colony or get a condo at Veranda Beach Club. It definitely makes your day/week. Then there's more great restaurants in Sarasota on Main. I think you'd want to come back.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Karen

Ellen

We have been making the trek to Sarasota for quite a few winter seasons. Have stayed at the Hyatt, Long Boat Key Club, Helmsley, RC, and a few properties on Siesta Key. The place we always seem to return to is the good old Marriott Residence Inn at the airport (probably because our return home flight always leaves at 7 a.m. Until your post, never heard of the Veranda Beach Club. Is is further from St. Armand's than the Colony?

You have also give us some new restaurant options that we have not tried. Never tried Duffy's for burgers -
always ended up at Patrick's on Main for. Also cannot leave without a visit to Charlies Crab on St Armand's.

We like Sarasota, but don't want to spend entire week being with parents every day.

Thanks for your help

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Ellen

Karen

Sorry - I've been away for a bit. Duffy's is on Anna maria Island (great place) Veranda Beach is a truly upscale timeshare BUT they rent units out. If you ever have time check with the Michael Saunders real estate company on LBK and they can give you the info. If you like the area - then you would love the comfort and expanse at the Veranda. We stayed there for a couple years and have since bought a place on the island. I love Selby Gardens and the kids love the Mote Aquarium and Jungle Gardens. All in all, we like it around there.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:04 AM
x

Duffy`s is on Holmes Beach...across from the Public Beach Pavillion...also can eat there...Great Sunday AM waffles...

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:08 AM
xxx

ttt

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Jane

Don't know how far you want to go. If about 5 hours driving isn't too far, consider St. Augustine. Lots to do other than beaches, the weather should be gorgeous, and you will have one of the best meals possible at le(or la) parisienne. Try their fixed price menu with their suggested wine pairings and you can't go wrong. For an hotel, I'd suggest Casa something(search under St. Augustine hotels).
Jane
Jane