Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sarasota - now my son is considering a college there! - any comments on the city

Search

Sarasota - now my son is considering a college there! - any comments on the city

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living in Boston area with a zillion fine colleges, of course our son is looking at air-travel distance cities. (Thanks for all who answered previously about Savannah). Now he is considering a school in Savannah. Any comments on - ease of drive from Tampa Airport, is there any public transportation in Sarasota, is there anything to do for young adults? Thanks again.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:18 AM

if he was previously considering Savannah, he must be looking at Ringling. USF has its New College in the same area. The drive over the bridge into Sarasota is an easy one and good flights are available from not only Tampa but also St. Petersburg (mainly off price airlines) and Sarasota.

Sarasota is a cosmopolitan city with residents from all over the world. There are lots of places for younger people in the town itself, not so much in the tourist areas like St. Armands Circle and Longboat Key. Of course the beaches are some of the best in Florida and on the mainland US.

Ringling is a fairly good art school, I had a niece that looked both there and at Savannah but ended up at Santa Fe. She, like your son, was from the east coast and was looking for a change of perspective. LMF
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:09 AM
LN

As Lilmsfoodie says, Sarasota is a GREAT city - I would much prefer my child to go to school there than some of the very large campuses in metropolitan downtown areas.

The temperature is usually good for 9 - 10 months a year. The only schools I am aware of are Univ South Florida and Ringling. I don't know much about USF as it is fairly new and fairly small. Ringling has a great name for artists.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:42 AM

I attended Ringling at night while in High School (ended up attending Atlanta College of Art) It is a great place in my opinion and Sarasota is a VERY artistic community. Alot of artists from around the world live in the area and there is an endless opportunity to see exhibits and meet people. Plus you have the beaches for fun.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:15 PM

LN, you must not live here! The temps are only "good" here in west Central Florida for about 4 months out of the year, Nov-March!! The rest of the time it's boiling hot.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:45 PM
LN

Hi Irish

I live in Florida part of the time (but not a snowbird) We live primarily in Maryland but we're in Sarasota for a couple months each year. And that often includes summer months. But since Maryland is very humid also - we don't see a whole lot of difference. We don't have the gorgeous beaches of LBK and Anna maria in the north. And right now we're cleaning up after Isabel!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses - and, yes, it is Ringling. Had no idea anyone had even heard of this college, because I certainly had not. He is doing computer animation and there are a limited number of schools offering a real solid major in this - so the geography is not purely escapism. Looks like we will fly into Tampa as there are non-stop flights to there and not into Sarasota.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:40 PM

I have vacationed many times in Sarasota and love it. There are many cultural activities as well as natural areas to enjoy.