santa monica pier question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 02:46 PM
jane

Thanks in advance.....here is my question:

I have been reading on another website that the Santa Monica Pier is unsafe at night. I read that there are gangs, etc... I am a seasoned New Yorker (I can pretty much get through anything, at this point) so I am not really nervous about this, nor do I really care. However, we did want to visit the park into the evening in hopes of getting on the ferris wheel at sunset, etc.. and I will be with a couple of teens, and some older folk, and I do not want them to be frightened of some supposed gang activity. Is this really true? For some reason, I cannot picture it. Let me know Angelenos! I have been to LA numerous times and love it, and have NEVER ahd a problem even in the "bad" areas. I have only been treated with respect! Thanks again!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 02:55 PM
angeleno

It's true. Santa Monica pier has become, sadly, one of those places I won't bother with because, well, there are other nicer places to go instead of worrying about the possibility of getting in the middle of some messy situation. Last time I went there was some altercation involving two unattractive boys and an unattractive girl, and I left when the shoving began (who knows what else happened). I wouldn't suggest that you NOT go, because chances are low that you'll see any trouble, but minimize your chances even more by going on Sunday afternoon and leaving as soon as it's dark. Good luck.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 04:29 PM
Kevin

I can only offer anecdotal experience. I was there at night last spring, and while there were quite a few teens around, I saw no odd or threatening activity and felt 100% safe. As I recall there was a good deal of security around as well.
Your call.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Chris

If you're from New York, NO, it won't bother you at all. But then again, why bother going someplace that is basically White Trash and Latino Trash?!?

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Diana

Have a drink at the nearby Casa del Mar (Pico at the ocean) for the BEST view of
the pier and setting sun. Drinks not
cheap, but worth it. Beautiful old Spanish style hotel.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Thyra

If you aren't there late late, it shouldn't be a problem. Especially during the sunset.
If you are from NYC you won't even notice, use your NYC "street savy" and you'll be fine.
As stated, a nice thing to so is to stop by one of the many restaurants in the area and sit at a seaside table for sunset.
Further north up the coast in Malibu is another pier that is not commercially developed but is very nice, and there are some great "steak and seafood" places along the coast that make for good dining.
Welcome to L.A.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Thyra

Forgot to add, we went to the Santa Monica Pier nearly every Thursday night this past summer (Two petite women) for free concerts that they give, and never had an unpleasant encounter.